Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Not all gamers are sweaty manchildren playing games in their parent's basement. Some of them are actually normal.

Read Full Article

Sansha

There's a principle in business
Nov 16, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Not all gamers are sweaty manchildren playing games in their parent's basement. Some of them are actually normal.

Read Full Article
Like... you?

On topic, I agree. I don't use the word gamer anyhow... it carries with it a negative stigma that's sort of unappealing to be labelled as.

And yes, 'girl gamer' is the worst. As if it's something special to be a female who plays video games. The smart girls I know on the intertubes disguise their gender to simply get along with the game, rather than be bombarded with unwanted attention.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
Nice ranty article relaying a very relevant aspect of video game culture.

Yep...good to see him still in form.

Jedamethis

Jul 24, 2009
Sansha said:
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
Extra Punctuation: Don't Use the Word "Gamer"

Read Full Article
Like... you?

On topic, I agree. I don't use the word gamer anyhow... it carries with it a negative stigma that's sort of unappealing to be labelled as.

And yes, 'girl gamer' is the worst. As if it's something special to be a female who plays video games.
Took the words right out of my mouth. Give them back!

hardlymotivated

May 20, 2009
Yeah, with a word like "gamer", the negative connotations and stereotypes seem to outweigh the positives. A little bit like "Tory" in that respect, I suppose. It seems almost... shameful to me.

And no, that isn't because I fit the stereotype almost perfectly (although I'd be lying if I said I didn't.)

hawk533

Dec 17, 2009
I suppose that makes sense. We don't call people movie watchers because we watch movies. But shouldn't there be a term for those people who distinguish themselves by their elite level knowledge of video games. I don't think video games will be an accepted part of culture until we can start calling people "Game Snobs" or "Video Game Buffs".

Mr Smith

Apr 22, 2010
If you consider opening a Mana Bar in Melbourne, can I have a job?

(Yeah, I didn't think that would work either...)

Caligula_II

Apr 6, 2010
I wholeheartedly agree, though I think it's kind of a necesary evil. His argument seems to be that we should consider games like books or movies, as it would be silly to say "I'm a reader", or "I'm a movie-goer", because so many people do that.

I don't really use gamer either, but I'm not sure the term will go away until games gain some more acceptance. This comes with time and defying sterotype, of course, not with this idiotic "gamer pride" thing that's been going on.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I do agree with it, I mean there are so many people who play and hold down real world jobs, and continue to enjoy themselves via video games.

Its just any kind of hobby, some people just like it more than others, and its that past image that we need to try discard

L4hlborg

Jul 11, 2009
Gamer is shorter than a person who plays videogames, therefor a more useable term. Yes there is a lot of negative stigma on it, but nothing that won't change over time. This has happened to many things.

For instance, in Finland these moped-car hybrid thingies (looks like a really small car and has a speed max of 50km/h or so) used to be only used by really old people and people who are otherwise unable to use a real car. Now younger people get them and think they are really tough while blocking the traffic by moving really slowly.

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
Shame... I didn't realize how attached I had gotten to the label. Oh well, if it's in the best interest of the gaming community.

Have a nice vacation.

Angryman101

Aug 7, 2009
This was an interesting and introspective look in the gaming culture. Labels such as 'gamer' only serves to further separate people when we should be starting to class ourselves together as all one people. Well writ, Yatzee.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
The word "gamer" has always rubbed me the wrong way, to the point where I physically have trouble saying it. To me it conjures a picture of someone that plays games and does absolutely nothing else. The way the social image is right now a "gamer" is a useless person.

For example, if you were to have a friendly, personable conversation with your boss, which of the following would you feel more comfortable telling them:
-you like baseball
-you like building model railroads
-you like video games
Chances are, telling them you like video games will not score you extra points and may in fact tarnish your reputation to them.

Seriously, we need a re-branding.

On the topic of the Mana Bar:
Open one on the US east coast...please? Pretty please?

Apr 28, 2008
If you really want to be classified as "gamer", I have a handy dandy little chart so you can see what kind of gamer you are.

However thats only if you consider yourself a gamer, instead of simply "someone who play games".

Timmey

May 29, 2010
'' no doubt hanging around some South Pacific island looking for dark people to oppress''

Haha, too good.

On a serious note I agree, I hate being labelled as a gamer, just because I like to play video games doesn't mean that all I do.

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well, happy holidays, Yahtzee, have fun for us.
OT: I agree that the characterization is something really negative, whether it's about games or whatever, and that happens with or without the word gamer, I think you're reading too much into it.
"Normality" is also overrated, nothing wrong with it, but I think of the concept as a characterization, as in "run of the mill." I think in our own way, we're all normal people, even those who are desperately screaming "Look at Me."
All we do or like makes us different, and that's how society works, I go out with friends from time to time, I have called them to ask them to go out with me, as I have rejected an invitation because Bad Company 2 was out, and none of these makes me feel less normal than the other.
In summary, I think the word has nothing wrong with it, it's the people who uses it in a way it could lead to a terrible misinterpretation, or, allow me to correct myself, its used in a degrading context, even if you're shouting it proudly; but then, the problem resides within people, and as I see it, people will be twats until the end of days, Yahtzee.
Again, happy holidays.

Nov 11, 2008
Sudenly I see a entire thread somewhere on the internet with thousands of
>implyications

First off, Gamers game, Players play, and Shooters shoot. It's just logical.

I enjoy recreational video games. I also uphold a very nice job.

The Stereotypical Vidya Nerd doesn't exist anymore. Everyone and their dog enjoys video games in the Modern Era.

Thick

Feb 10, 2009
It points to probably the biggest problem with the label "gamer" and other labels as well. It insinuates that this is the only dimension to you, belying the fact that people are complex, difficult, unintuitive things.

This would all hold more weight from me if I wasn't already avoiding the term to self-identify out of an inexplicable shame I have for being one.

LimeJester

Mar 16, 2009
My ten dollary doos! I decry that a fast one has been pulled on my premium membership! Rawr rawr rawr!!