Cryptic Games Promises "Dramatic" Quality Improvement

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Cryptic Games Promises "Dramatic" Quality Improvement

Cryptic Studios knows that its recent games haven't been all that great, but it's promising to turn things around with Neverwinter Nights.

Cryptic Studios' last couple of games haven't exactly been critical darlings, with unpolished/unremarkable gameplay being their biggest stumbling blocks. In a recent interview, Cryptic's Chief Operations Officer Jack Emmert acknowledged the legitimacy of these criticisms and stated that his company needs to "dramatically" improve things for the <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102961-Atari-and-Cryptic-Head-Back-to-Neverwinter>recently announced Neverwinter Nights game it's working on.

According to Emmert, the biggest problem with both <a href=http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=champions+online&x=0&y=0&ih=7_6_2_1_0_0_0_0_0_1.63_71&fsc=12>Champions Online and <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Pc/dp/B002673XJA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282677973&sr=8-1>Star Trek Online was that the games contained, "hundreds of hours of mediocre (some would say even worse than mediocre) content ... nothing was polished. We ended up having lots of half-done features in some quarters. What I forgot was, inasmuch as a consumer or a player, if it isn't there at launch it might as well not be there, well if it's in half-done or half-done well, that's what you get remembered for. "

As a result, Cryptic is aware of the fact that things have to change for the upcoming Neverwinter project. A big part of this change is Cryptic's desire to focus on making a game that emphasizes "rich story-driven multiplayer" content.

"Super-fast doesn't mean super-good," said Emmert, in regards to how Cryptic has become a company known for efficiently making deadlines, but not for making great games. "And that's what the reviews said, that's what the players said. The type of game that we made before World of Warcraft ... City of Heroes was great for its day, but we can't just keep repeating the same methodology over and over - we've got to make stuff that's great."

The interview also details how the upcoming Neverwinter Nights title will be less of an MMOG and more of a co-operative RPG in the same vein as Guild Wars and Phantasy Star Online, which sounds pretty interesting. It's certainly encouraging to hear that the developer is aware of its problems and is taking steps to overcome them, but I refuse to get excited about this next project until I spend some hands-on time with it.

Source: Massively via <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-24-cryptic-we-need-to-improve-for-neverwinter>Eurogamer

May 23, 2010
The title made me lol. HARD.
At least they can accept their faults, but somehow I'm not convinced. If most any other developer had been behind this I would be excited but Cryptic... just nope.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
The Amazing Tea Alligator said:
At least they can accept their faults, but somehow I'm not convinced. If most any other developer had been behind this I would be excited but Cryptic... just nope.
Weren't people saying the same thing about EA a while ago?

Galbrezu

Mar 26, 2009
Well with Bill Roper is no longer in the picture maybe they have a chance!

Hellgate *shudder*

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
Guild Wars with Neverwinter Nights settings?

Sorry, gotta get a cleanex for my DROOOOL. Too bad it's all empty promises from Craptic.
Galbrezu said:
Well with Bill Roper is no longer in the picture maybe they have a chance!

Hellgate *shudder*
Maybe... Or maybe it wasn't just Roper that made the games fail ;d

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
Step #1 in not making crap: When you do a beta test specifically to cultivate player responses and suggestions on how to improve the game, you should actually listen to those player responses and suggestions. Otherwise you're both wasting everyone's time and dooming yourself to fail before the game even launches.

May 23, 2010
Aeshi said:
They've developed something half decent?

War Llama

Jan 15, 2010
" if it isn't there at launch it might as well not be there, well if it's in half-done or half-done well, that's what you get remembered for. "
Considering Cryptic hasn't made a good game update in over five years, I'd say the consumers are absolutely right to judge their games' launch content.

Rallion

Aug 10, 2009
War Llama said:
" if it isn't there at launch it might as well not be there, well if it's in half-done or half-done well, that's what you get remembered for. "
Considering Cryptic hasn't made a good game update in over five years, I'd say the consumers are absolutely right to judge their games' launch content.
I don't think he's saying that it's wrong. That's why he's admitting that they need to do better.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Aeshi said:
Well I've heard good things about some of their more recent releases like Dead Space.

roekenny

Jun 17, 2008
They have a lot of hurdles to pass before we even get onto Cryptic shoddy past. Starters there is the rulebook been 4th ed and FR campaign just gone belch. That and competing in a saturated market of high fantasy MMOG's and will offer nothing different and why the 1st still outshines its successors, for been heavily robust and customisable fuled user generated persistent worlds and campaigns what has yet to been topped or even decently mimicked.

First and only time will ever ask a company just to do a copy past job and just open the code up so can tweak it and we will be happy. Hell just make the developers tools and robust server browser and it will sell like hotcakes we'll do the polish for you.

Seventh Actuality

Apr 23, 2010
City of Heroes sucked balls but I'm finding Champions Online to be awesome so far, I hope they don't plan to wash their hands of it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
The promise everyone seems to make...I will believe it when I see it, but at least they are publically recognising not been up to par as of late

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Seventh Actuality said:
City of Heroes sucked balls but I'm finding Champions Online to be awesome so far, I hope they don't plan to wash their hands of it.
I bet a LOT of people would disagree with you on that.

I personally liked CO's greater customization but CoH/V was pretty cool too.

May 23, 2010
Aeshi said:
Aeshi said:
Well I've heard good things about some of their more recent releases like Dead Space.
Dead Space was fairly mediocre, in true EA fashion. Plenty of hype though (in true EA fashion).

The only bit of EA that I respect in the slightest is EA Dice for Mirror's Edge.

Void(null)

Dec 10, 2008
Jack Emmert has made a lot of promises in the past 6 years and he has failed to keep the majorly of them.

City of Heroes has been so much better with Paragon Studios at the helm instead of Jack's Cryptic. Champions Online and Star trek Online were both Abysmal.

I am not holding my breath for Neverwinter Nights 3.

Just how can such a Franchise stoop so low?

NWN: Bioware - Amazing
NWN2: Obsidian - Poor
NWN3: Cryptic - Are you fucking kidding me? You expect me to pay $50 for that turd in a box?