2009 Darwin Awards Announced

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
2009 Darwin Awards Announced

The "winners" of the 2009 Darwin Award have been announced: two bank robbers in Belgium who used far too much dynamite to break into an ATM, and blew up the whole building.

The Darwin Awards honor those individuals each year who take themselves out of the gene pool by making incredibly poor decisions. The Awards have been in existence since at least 1985, where the list was posted on Usenet groups and bulletin boards, and eventually passed via forwarded emails. Several sites now track Darwin Awards, including darwinawards.com, which recently announced its list of winners for 2009 picked by the sites editors.

This year's winner is quite a tragic pair. Two bank robbers in Dinant, Belgium, blew up the entire building housing the ATM they were trying to pilfer, killing both of them. The ironic thing is that their getaway vehicle was a BMW; did they really need the money that bad? Read the details here [http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2009-09.html].

Of special note is the North Carolina woman chosen as one of the runner-ups. After the town of Greeensboro was caught in a deluge of 4 inches of rain in two hours, several roads were closed due to flooding. The 50-year-old woman decided to drive past the police blockade on her moped and proceeded to crash into the overflowing creek, losing her sweet ride. After being rescued by the cop and being questioned, she then jumped back into the creek when he left her to call for backup. She was not able to be rescued a second time. Her mother said the woman might have been trying to retrieve her moped because, "She loved that thing." Read the full story here [http://darwinawards.com/darwin/darwin2009-04.html].

I want to personally thank these individuals for removing the possibility that they will ever procreate again, therefore making the human race smarter one gene at a time.

Source: Darwin Awards [http://www.darwinawards.com/]

(Image [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Charles_Darwin_seated.jpg])

Chaossebba

Aug 11, 2008
im so proud to live in Belgium.

(btw i think the town name was "Dinant" not Dinat D:)

The DSM

Apr 18, 2009
Thank you for removing your self from the gene pool.

Theres a cookie waiting for you in Ragnorak.

Yes I do belive in Norse mythology, its as valid as every other religion.

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
I've always been curious if the deceased have already passed on their genes, do people go around and elimante the kids to ensure it never happens again.

Also the bank robber link is incorrect, leads to the stupid women story.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Chaossebba said:
im so proud to live in Belgium.

(btw i think the town name was "Dinant" not Dinat D:)
Fixed, thanks for the tip, Belgian friend.

Do you ever get mad when Zaphod Beeblebrox used your country as an expletive?

http://www.clivebanks.co.uk/THHGTTG/THHGTTGradio10.htm

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Greg Tito said:
Of special note is the North Carolina woman chosen as one of the runner-ups. After the town of Greeensboro was caught in a deluge of 4 inches of rain in two hours, several roads were closed due to flooding. The 50-year-old woman...[snip]

I want to personally thank these individuals for removing the possibility that they will ever procreate again, therefore making the human race smarter one gene at a time.[snip]
True, but at 50, surely she would have breed already? No-one if she had, nor if the robbers had.

LTK_70

Aug 28, 2009
Man, I love the Darwin awards. Not only do people who managed to kill themselves in an exceptionally stupid manner qualify, but also the ones who handicapped themselves in such a way that procreation is rendered impossible. That is the most glorious of Darwin Award, for you to be alive in order to receive it.

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
I wonder did those robbers have any time to think "shit too much" just before they died. I hope they did

RagnorakTres

Feb 10, 2009
God I love these things.

I will also extend my sincerest thanks to those individuals. You've made this world a better place. *doffs hat*

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
I love this :D
I like the one from ages ago where these guys and their dog drive out on the ice to go fishing and they go to blow a hole in the ice (illegal) and throw the dynamite across the ice.
Then the dog runs after it thinking its fetch, comes running back. The guys do the only thing they can, shoot at the dog.
The dog runs for the nearest piece of cover, their 4WD, which gets PWNED and sinks into the ice.

Not an actual Darwin award but it's just one that they put in the book for SnG.

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
To be honest I've always found it terribly lame that Darwin's name and theories got associated with this crap.

I use to think the site was funny when I was about erm 15.

TheLastCylon

Apr 14, 2009
DestroytheTyrant said:
You guys are sick for finding this stuff funny ...
I kinda agree with this guy. I mean, yeah, they were stupid, but they did die. It's a pretty serious matter.