Gran Turismo 5 Designer Responds to Italian Complaints

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Gran Turismo 5 Designer Responds to Italian Complaints

Gran Turismo 5's designer Kazunori Yamauchi suggests that Polyphony Digital's flag faux pas will not delay the game any further.

As reported [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102948-Gran-Turismo-5-Go-Kart-Track-Upsets-Italy ] over the weekend, the Italian city of Siena is angry at Sony after it was discovered that Gran Turismo 5's [http://www.amazon.com/Gran-Turismo-5-Playstation-3/dp/B002BSA1C6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282731178&sr=8-1] Piazza del Campo go-kart track used flags from the city's Palio di Siena horse race. The Consortium for the Protection of the Palio said that it had not granted permission for the use of the flags, leading to speculation that the game might need to be delayed again.

But speaking on his Twitter [http://twitter.com/Kaz_Yamauchi/status/22024317513 ] feed, Yamauchi said that removing the flags wouldn't be a problem, and that they could be taken out in a "instant." He felt that their removal would be "regrettable," as they were part of the setting's beauty. Faced with a choice however, between removing them and having the game's release halted by a legal challenge, I'd assume Sony would go for the former.

Gran Turismo 5 has been in development for over five years, and has been dogged with delays. Its release date is currently pencilled in as November 2nd in the US, and November 3rd in other territories.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5621330/gran-turismo-5-designer-responds-to-italian-controversy]

Varrdy

Feb 25, 2010
Is it me or do I sense that, whilst Sony have been good enough to take the flags out, this could be the tip of the proverbial iceberg ot the opening of the proverbial floodgates?

Wardy

Mukiwa

Sep 4, 2008
Good lord people are so touchy these days. I can see how the populace of Siena could object to their flag being depicted in a violent shooter or something of that ilk, but a harmless racing simulator? Really?

If anything the town's inclusion in GT5 will likely be good publicity for the place.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
For chrissake people, this game has been bordering on development hell for so long now, just let them release it already. Enough with the constant obstacles.

LunarCircle

Nov 10, 2009
Mukiwa said:
Good lord people are so touchy these days. I can see how the populace of Siena could object to their flag being depicted in a violent shooter or something of that ilk, but a harmless racing simulator? Really?

If anything the town's inclusion in GT5 will likely be good publicity for the place.
Could be they realize it's going to be a popular title and want a piece of the revenue. In my opinion, it seems the complaint, in this instance, is more money-based than anything else. Being a flag, it's out in public view anyways, right?

Timmey

May 29, 2010
LunarCircle said:
Mukiwa said:

Could be they realize it's going to be a popular title and want a piece of the revenue. In my opinion, it seems the complaint, in this instance, is more money-based than anything else. Being a flag, it's out in public view anyways, right?
Yeah but only in public view during the Palio, not whilst the race isn't on.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
They made a complaint, on flags? Ive heard of stupid things howecver some really take the biscuit

Mordwyl

Feb 5, 2009
No wonder I tend to avoid any real life connections in my games. Crap like this is easily avoided.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
More obstacles! Moooore!

Let this game beat Duke Nukem Forever in development time, and thus, quality! Ahahahahahaha!

No, seriously, not a fan of Serious Business Racetrack Simulators. I'll be playing OutRun 2 in an arcade somewhere and laughing. The development time for this is beyond a joke; its sales won't even reflect its finished quality, be it flawless shining gem or mediocre waste of time and money. Its fans will buy it; the curious, bored, marketing-led PS3 owners will buy it; the review scores will not influence anyone who does not care about this sub-genre of racing game.

LunarCircle

Nov 10, 2009
Timmey said:
LunarCircle said:
Mukiwa said:

Yeah but only in public view during the Palio, not whilst the race isn't on.
Interesting... So, in this case, it's more like a trademark or logo. I can see then why they'd want it licensed. Just general business/organization stuff.

Not much in the way of news then. :p

It at least did get GT5 some publicity in any case.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
Yay! More reasons to delay this fucking game! I'm starting to give up on GT5 ever being released.