Question of the Day, August 26, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, August 26, 2010

Yahtzee's latest article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/8031-Extra-Punctuation-Dont-Use-the-Word-Gamer] focuses on the term gamer. The term can often have negative ramifications, as it associates those who game with a certain stereotype - often, as Yahtzee puts it, with "somewhere between one of the Columbine killers and that shouty German kid from YouTube." Should we lose the term or reinvent it?

T3hMonk3y

May 28, 2008
The fact is that people who play games shouldn't have ANY label wether it be "gamer" or some other word. As that automatically produces a negative stereotype which isn't right. Do we call people who watch lots of movies movieers? do we call people who play a lot of music a musicer?

Capt. Crankypants

Jan 6, 2010
*shrug* I don't see it as too big of a deal, it just shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. But still, it's an identical way of identifying with people as say, 'football players'.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Sure.. what would you prefer? Digital interactive media connoisseur?

EDIT: OOOH, shorten that. Digital Interactive connoisseur.. and just use the acronym. Just call is DICs YES! that will go over well.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
I don't think it's an issue. You can change the name but the stereotype will still be the same. Focussing on our image is more importent than the term society designates us. Sure there are certain connatations associated with "gamer", but that can be said of any group/genre. Some people find being called a nerd an insult, but I don't mind it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I dont think its such a bad term. Everyone has a term to ID themselves. Sure, its not really needed, but its human to label.

The label dosnt need to change, just the perception

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
Round here gamer is defined as two distinct people. Role player or people playing video games. While I've been both, upon introducing myself I still think there's a negative connotation to role players and so I say a hobby of mine is playing video games. (hobby like it's my interactive television as I don't pay for cable)

So I tend not to use 'gamer' at all.

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
I don't really think the name maters. And I don't care about our image either. These people will always find somebody else to blame for their bad parenting once the psychologists start doing their job by telling them to shut up.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
So, by this logic, black people shouldn't be called "black", because there is racist stereotype that every black person loves watermelons and fried chicken ?

UnravThreads

Aug 10, 2009
Lucas_90 said:
*shrug* I don't see it as too big of a deal, it just shouldn't be something to be ashamed of. But still, it's an identical way of identifying with people as say, 'football players'.
Basically this.

I'm a gamer because I play games. Footballers play football, Readers read books, composers write music.

If someone attaches negative connotations to it, then they're an idiot. Not all gamers are psychopathic maniacs, just as not all footballers are thick and sleep around (note: UK footballers) with girls who are a funny shade of orange.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
meh, labels like this are really up to the individual, i suppose. sure i play the shit out of video games, but i don't really consider myself a gamer. some people take pride in it, others the opposite, but ultimately labels are just kinda stupid.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
I believe that "gamer" does indeed carry negative connotations: for many people it means either "nerd with no life" or "AAAAAAHH RUN HE'LL KILL US ALL!!!"

My solution is simple: don't say "i'm a gamer". Say "I play videogames". Just like someone who likes to read books dosen't say "i'm a booker" or something stupid along these lines.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
I find it ignorant to try defining yourself with a single word.
I am a transhumanist-gamer-writer-rationalist-steampunk-nationalist-epicurean, however, already says something. As long as it is used as shorthand for someone who plays games in a noticable amount, i have no qualms.

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
Judas Iscariot said:
Yeah why not. It has been our title for so long that trying to change it now is kind of well, useless.
Personally I do not use the term but that is hardly relevant.
in internet yers lond but people have only been calling them selfs games for like 4-5 years now
before that it was starcraft geek or person who plays games