201: Goodbye, Cruel World

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
I totally don't imagine people in school whilst I roll people up in Katamari Damacy, and there pleasurable screams of pain totally don't make me feel like I need to go see a psychiatrist...

I poke fun, because we've all been there.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
MorkFromOrk said:
Of course, in so far as video games are concerned, the cure can be more poisonous than the disease. Getting "T-Bagged" by some guy in an online Halo 3 match, being constantly bullied by a bunch of players in an MMO, or the sheer frustration of playing any Ninja Gaiden game, is enough to make a person's pain go from bad to devastating.
That makes sense, so it might be good to make a list of the games that would work for you when you might be dealing with pain from a headache, illness, or accident; whathaveyou. Avoid those that can create uncomfortable emotional events, such as multiplayer games, as well as those that in the past might have created ghost pain from something a character experiences. But that might not be the case for everyone. I've often finished a campaign in Left 4 Dead, and as the tally-credits are rolling, I would feel a distinct separation and return to self. I would imagine L4D would be good anesthesia for me.

Elf Defiler Korgan

Apr 15, 2009
What a very interesting article. This reminds me of my first few years at uni. Ridiculous devotion to my units, and then a marathon of gaming or swimming to relax and let it all fall away. My scores were through the roof. Course, not much of a social life, but it was some type of gamer-monasticism. There was only games (Soul Calibre 2, Hitman, Civilization etc), peaceful swimming at night, and study.

Years later came across another productive combination. Short but frequent periods of sleep, and alternating between writing my thesis and gaming. Ignoring other distractions could get a huge amount done in a week of this.

RussDCA

Nov 3, 2007
I've been particularly pants recently & reading this makes me feel no different. In fact, it's because I've been feeling down that I've been playing less games. Somehow I've not been able to enjoy them as much as I normally do because my 'annoyances' are nibbling at my anterior cingulate cortex (Apparently).

Saying that though, I understand what this article is saying.

And so without further hesitation. I am going to shoot people on Call of Duty 4 for a few hours. That should do the trick for a while.

Great read, thanks.

FuZion.

Ophiuchus

8 miles high and falling fast
Mar 31, 2008
Nivag said:
So glad you decided to add this to the 'Best of'. It's always been my favourite article :D
Absolutely this.

I'm at university right now, in a house with six other people. Of the four that I consider friends, two are gamers and the other two are... well, not the sort of people who 'get' gaming (read: women, although one of them has a Wii. And one of the gamers is female. But never mind that). I really want to send this article to those two, in the hope that it gives them a bit of an understanding (as psychology students, if nothing else) of why I play. Of the two that are gamers, I mentioned this article to the guy last night... the other one is an occasional visitor to this site so maybe she's seen it for herself.

So... yeah. If ever there was an article that deserved 'best of' status, it's this.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
I never thought about that...I'm a girl gamer and I never noticed that...but now that I think about it they do help me escape from my messed up life...that's probably the reason why I don't have nearly as much drama as the other girls my age.

dorm41baggins

Feb 24, 2009
If found this quite interesting. As someone who has suffered for over half a year with (sometimes crippling) chronic leg and lower back pain from a compressed nerve root, I can testify to the truth of this. I never thought about it before, but sitting in my chair in front of my TV, I get some relief from the distraction of TV shows, but a lot more when playing a console game.

The only danger is, sometimes I'm aggravating the source of the pain and don't realize it until the pain grows to an unbearable level. Then it's a whole lot more difficult to calm the pain down than it would have been had I caught it earlier.

Suprised-Pig

May 12, 2009
erridgeman said:
This is actually sweet. When I need painkillers next I'm just gonna' stick on FF:XII!!!!
lol that remedy is out my hand im depressed cz of waiting for ffxiii

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
I guess I could take a couple of weeks of leave and dig up my civilization games to try to quit smoking.

nate30030

Nov 21, 2008
This is an awesome article, loved it. Btw, Turok on the original Xbox (or the one for the 360 because it's prbly the same crap) is definetly NOT ur source of getaway pleasure since there's inverted controls, never enough ammo to just fuking kill the guy, unbeatable lvls, and to top it off a story that makes no fucking sense because they never explain a damn thing! Man, I wish Yatzee would do an episode about Turok... :/

Oh yeah, and it is such a long game that you have to make sure you don't get too sucked into it or you'll find yourself playing level after level of crap.

ayoama

Feb 7, 2008
Well-explained neuroscience in a videogame mag article: I can see why this got the "Best of" tag. Good job :)

kezla

Jan 4, 2009
I work in Psychology and when i came home majorly stressed last night, I headed straight into Guildwars...although I myself am a girl :p Completely agree with the points though and like the fact they are backed up with a little science, the best article Ive read on the site so far, good job guys :)

RAWKSTAR

Jun 5, 2008
Very good article. Most definatly one of my favorites on site.
Good Job for putting it in 'Best of'!

Augg

Mar 4, 2009
Prescription video games....the way of the future *Stares off with glassy eyes*