Sony Anticipates Slow Adoption of Move

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
Sony Anticipates Slow Adoption of Move

Sony doesn't expect gamers to rush out and buy PlayStation Move, instead counting on word-of-mouth growth.

Even with the success of the Wii, it remains to be seen whether the gaming masses will pick up Eurogamer [http://www.amazon.com/Playstation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1282837041&sr=8-1] yesterday, Maguire downplayed first day sales expectations for Move, adding that the device will only catch on through demonstrations and word-of-mouth advertising.

"Move is a natural extension in the same way as we brought EyeToy to PS2," Maguire said. "Exactly as with EyeToy in the PS2 days, it's a product that needs to be sampled. You need to get your hands on it. You need to understand it. You need to try it. Am I expecting a massive day one? Not particularly. We didn't with EyeToy, either. It went on to be massively successful."

Maguire believes that Move will become a success as early adopters fall in love with the device and show it off to their friends. He stated, "As people saw the value when they tried it [EyeToy], they told their friends. Their friends bought it. They told their friends. Word of mouth grew the marketplace. That's what I expect from Move as well."

While first day sales may not be high, Maguire does believe that certain factors will position Move ahead of Microsoft's Kinect when it launches in November, "When we see people sampling it the outcome is everyone's delighted by the experience. That's the most important thing. The creativity in terms of the games being created for it already show a marked difference from the genres we had in the EyeToy space. We're starting to think about Move and how you use that in games like LBP or Killzone, some major games. With that attitude it starts becoming less of a novelty and more of just another way of enjoying the games we all know and love."

It is nice to know that Sony plans to support the Move for the long-term, regardless of early sales figures.

PlayStation Move hits American shelves on September 19th in a variety of different bundle options. At least 20 Move games are expected to launch by the end of next March, including the recently-announced Killzone 3.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-08-26-move-sony-not-expecting-massive-day-one]

BreakfastMan

Scandinavian Jawbreaker
Jul 22, 2010
Eye-toy was successful? Didn't only have around 10 or so games, and then die? No next generation games that I know of have used that tech and barely any from last gen used it. It remains to be seen if Move will be worth it, but I am not holding my breath.

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I think this is more along the lines of they hope, than they predict. so far there has been a resounding "Meh" everywhere I've looked in terms of Move, just like the resounding "Meh" i heard from everyone about the eyetoy when we sold it at game crazy, even after people tried it.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Ray Maguire said:
Am I expecting a massive day one? Not particularly. We didn't with EyeToy, either. It went on to be massively successful."
Massively successful isn't exactly something I'd have associated with EyeToy. Was it a lot bigger in Europe? Were there a bunch of smash hits that just never reached the "gaming press"?

Other than their attempted CCG Eye of Judgement, I can't think of any games of note that used the EyeToy for anything other than a cheap gimmick.

Benmonkey7

Jun 15, 2010
I don't think very many games will successfully use Move that would be big hits on the PS3. The Wii has successful games that use motion control because they have a lot of casual games. The PS3 has hardcore games like Killzone 3 that most people (including me) will want to use a controller for. Anyway, I don't expect the Move to sell very big. Motion control and hardcore games just don't mix well.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
I don't think either Move or Kinect would be in any way enjoyable or interesting for me, but at least Sony are supporting Move with some titles. There is nothing, I repeat nothing supporting Kinect that any gamers I have ever met including myself would possibly be interested in. As far as I'm concerned, though both of them are pointless, Move would be the greater investment. Especially so, as the latest tech demos seem to demonstrate that Kinect is experiencing some serious problems.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
BreakfastMan said:
Eye-toy was successful? Didn't only have around 10 or so games, and then die? No next generation games that I know of have used that tech and barely any from last gen used it. It remains to be seen if Move will be worth it, but I am not holding my breath.
Virgil said:
Massively successful isn't exactly something I'd have associated with EyeToy. Was it a lot bigger in Europe? Were there a bunch of smash hits that just never reached the "gaming press"?

Other than their attempted CCG Eye of Judgement, I can't think of any games of note that used the EyeToy for anything other than a cheap gimmick.
Okay, thanks guys. Nice to know I wasn't the only one who read that part and went "What?". I personally never heard of the EyeToy being anything other than a gimmick that died either.

May 25, 2010
Personally I hope both Move and Kinect fail miserably but if one is to succeed, I would much rather have Move than Kinect.

It's simple, really. If Move succeeds, then nothing changes. Deny it all you want, but the thing is basically a glorified Wiimote HD for the PS3. Both developers and consumers are used to it. Sony gets some cash and PS3 owners get a motion controller. It's no big deal. But if Kinect succeeds... We're in trouble. I don't even want to think of the terrible, terrible consequences...

midpipps

Feb 23, 2009
mjc0961 said:
BreakfastMan said:
Virgil said:

Okay, thanks guys. Nice to know I wasn't the only one who read that part and went "What?". I personally never heard of the EyeToy being anything other than a gimmick that died either.
I guess it depends on what their idea of succesful is although I know the original eye toy on the ps2 actually had some decently fun games and I actually knew a decent amount of people that had them.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
This is just how Sony works. They never have big day one sails, but have a growing support system as it goes on.

Just look at the PS3, that thing didn't explode till last year, and not it is only 3-4 million behind Xbox (One can argue that the sales are much closer from repeat customers from the RROD).

Quiet Stranger

Feb 4, 2006
September 19th is my birthday!!!

Also there was one next gen game that used the Eye Toy, don't remember it's name though

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
The Eyetoy was a success the same vein as Nintendo's Virtual Boy and Gameboy e-reader.

Move and Kinect are going to hurt more than they helpo and not just in the lack of quality software. It gives the public a bad impression when the second and third place companies latch on to the gimmick of the top seller. It makes the uninfomed buyer feel that they are just copying a company and the one who did it first will have the best one and go for the Wii instead (the price difference will help, too).

Not to mention all the Nintendo fanboys that will camp in electronics depts. and tell customers how SOny and Microsoft are stealing from Nintendo and make Nintendo out to be the underdog to gain sympathy for them. I know that sounds like a stretch, but I've seen it done with something as petty as the Dualshock controller when I worked at Software Etc.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
JaymesFogarty said:
I don't think either Move or Kinect would be in any way enjoyable or interesting for me, but at least Sony are supporting Move with some titles. There is nothing, I repeat nothing supporting Kinect that any gamers I have ever met including myself would possibly be interested in. As far as I'm concerned, though both of them are pointless, Move would be the greater investment. Especially so, as the latest tech demos seem to demonstrate that Kinect is experiencing some serious problems.
Wait, Sony announced something for Move other than a minigame collection or motion controls being shoehorned into games that weren't designed for it?

BlindMessiah94

The 94th Blind Messiah
Nov 12, 2009
Well I won't be buying this or a kinect regardless.

Next generation for consoles, I hope nintendo decides to fuse a microwave with a console instead of a laser pointer, so I can heat up my hot pockets while I play. Then Sony and Microsoft can release add on's to their consoles: An easy bake oven, and toaster, respectively.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
I have it pre-ordered and reserved, should get the money on release. The thing is that shops are only ordering units that people pre-order, otherwise you won't get one (unless someone doesn't get it three days after release, then they sell it to someone else). I have £25 already (£15 for the pre-order, £10 on a card)

EDIT: Oh, and to people who say that the EyeToy wasn't successful, look at f**king Kinect! It's pretty damn similar!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, they seem to have done well so far with the slowly slowly approach - Its better than MS campaign at least...

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
BloodSquirrel said:
JaymesFogarty said:
Wait, Sony announced something for Move other than a minigame collection or motion controls being shoehorned into games that weren't designed for it?
uh... yeah they have...

Socom 4
Killzone 3
MAG
Heavy Rain
LittleBigPlanet 2
Dead Space: Extraction
Sly Collection
Heroes on the Move
No More Heroes: Heroe's Paradise
Resident Evil 5: Alternate Edition
Under Siege
Time Crisis: Razing Storm
Sorcery

the list goes on and with more games still being announced with it.

Simple Bluff

Dec 30, 2009
For Christ sake, all you have to do is look in any non-Sony fan site in cyberspace and it'd be pretty obvious this thing is going to be a "slow adoption".

I'm not ruling out motion controls... but I really don't know how they can succeed, with every half - hardcore gamer on the planet verbally murdering the whole concept.