2011 Billboard Top 100 Review: #19-15

Nov 28, 2007
Here we go. Fourth to last.

#19: "Fucking Perfect" by P!nk

I know who Pink is. She's been around for a while, ever since I was in high school, at least, and that was 8 years ago.

This is a slower, more introspective Pink song. The music is pretty nice, and Pink is a good singer. As for the lyrics...I can't hate any song that is focused on complimenting the audience, telling them to keep their chin up, because they are fine the way they are, because I have a lot of self-esteem issues. That said, the chorus is great, but the verses are forgettable at best. It's not a bad song, and I like the message, but I feel the song doesn't go far enough with that message. And I refuse to call her P!nk. That's a stupid name.

#18: "Born This Way" by Lady Gaga

Trifecta! This is the third Lady Gaga song I've reviewed for this list.

I actually really like this song. The beat is a bit overpowering, true, and seems more focused on filling the blank spaces than necessarily adding to the song. However, like I said before, songs that have "self-esteem" messages stand out to me, and unlike Pink, Lady Gaga puts that message a lot more evenly through the song. As well, it is one of the few hit songs, and possible the only one this year that is openly pro-gay, something I feel that more songs need to be. It's catchy, and if this song is "pandering to the base", I don't mind being pandered to. Although, for a song that is about acceptance...let's just say describing people as "Orient(al)" and "chola descent" was...not the best choice of words. That aside, I still do enjoy the track.

#17: "Raise Your Glass" by P!nk

Pink again already? All right.

This song is not as good as "Fucking Perfect". The beat is repetitive, although that's not too much of an issue. But the lyrics let this song down, and are substandard for Pink. Basically, it is a sung toast to "the underdog", as it were. Nice message, but it's hard to base an entire song around something that easy to summarize, you know? There's only so many ways you can phrase that. It's not bad, but it definitely is not as good as it could be, and is too standard for pop. It's not a surprise that this is the Pink song that "Glee" chose to cover, because it is very safe, something that I have an issue with calling Pink. She's been many things, but "safe" is not usually one of them. It's generic, is what I'm getting at.

#16: "Tonight (I'm Loving You)" by Enrique Iglesias feat. Ludacris

Ah, Enrique Iglesias. The last remnant of that late 90's Latino craze that refuses...to fucking..go away.

This song is quite possibly his worst. The beat is pretty good, and it is easy to groove to. But the lyrics...my God, what was he thinking?! This song is about Enrique hitting on a girl, something I don't like in general, but the chorus is even worse. Look at that title. Think about it. What "r" word comes to mind? On top of that, his come-on lines are pretty lame. "If I had a type, then baby, it would be you."? That's not a come-on line, that's a rejection line. It does have a guest verse by Ludacris, but...it's about as lazy as Snoop Dogg's verse in "California Gurlz", and doesn't actually have any difference in lyrics. Ludacris does decent, and Enrique isn't a bad singer, but...I can't get past the lyrics. That's rare for me, but the lyrics actually cancel out anything else positive about the song.

#15: "Just The Way You Are" by Bruno Mars

Another Bruno Mars song? Good! Hast to be better than the last one!

Oh, thankfully it is. It's not great, but Bruno Mars...let's just put it this way. Lady Gaga is at her best emulating Madonna, Bruno Mars is at his best with love songs, and that's what this is. It's not perfect. There is nothing really spectacular about the music that stands out. But there is something about the lyrics that just seem so genuine. It is one of those love songs where the singer sounds like he means every word. Call me a softy, but I do like this song. Nothing spectacular, but it does give me a nice warm fuzzy feeling.

Well, that's that. This list wasn't bad (except for that one song), but it wasn't great, either. Hopefully, there will be some more great songs coming.

Previously: #24-20 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.388753-2011-Billboard-Top-100-Review-24-20]
Next: #14-10 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.389051-2011-Billboard-Top-100-Review-14-10]

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
We really need to know that Enrique is F'ing Us tonight.. NOT! Anywho.. i like the two Alicia Moore (since you dont like pink) songs :p as for the rest myeh Born this Way never really tickled my fancy much and as for Enrique and Bruno well Enrique is terrible and bruno is bearable but not good by any stretch!

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
wow Ludacris is one of my favorite rappers and that was just sad for him. oh well on the whole it appears to be getting better i have a small amount of hope for the rest of the list.