Sony Teasing Mafia Knitting Game? UPDATED

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Teasing Mafia Knitting Game? UPDATED

The teaser website for a mystery Sony game features an odd mixture of imagery.

Quite honestly, sometimes the Japanese come up with ideas so unique that the rest of the world would dub them "weird." Sony is certainly no stranger to the strange, having published games such as Flow [http://www.amazon.com/Patapon-Downloadable-Game-Voucher-Sony-PSP/dp/B001OHUTQI/ref=pd_sim_vg_4] in recent years. An upcoming game that Sony is teasing with a new website looks like it'll be more realistic than those titles, but is still raising plenty of eyebrows.

The website, found here [http://www.jp.playstation.com/scej/title/amimono/], shows a man wearing a tuxedo sitting in a darkened room with the shadow of his hat masking his eyes. Two more fancily-dressed men are standing near him, one with a raised arm as if he's smoking, but both of their faces are hidden in the darkness.

The image gives the initial impression that Sony has something Mafia [http://www.amazon.com/Mafia-II-Xbox-360/dp/B000ZK698C/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283011452&sr=1-1]-like in the works, except for the fact that the sitting man has a large basket of yarn next to him and is knitting. That's correct: While he looks like he might be ordering the other two men to perform a hit, or making them an offer they can't refuse, he's also getting his crochet on and could be creating a hand-made Sackboy.

So what the heck is Sony teasing here? It's currently unknown, but the website's top says "amimono" which means knitting or knitwear in Japanese, so you would think that the hobby has something to do with whatever will be announced. The site's countdown timer will be up on September 2 at midnight, so we'll definitely find out then, but these things typically have a way of leaking early so I'll be keeping an eye out.

[UPDATE]LittleBigPlanet 2 [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/08/28/sackboy-spoils-sonys-knitting-man-countdown/], as the LBP 2 logo and an image of Sackboy are embedded in the Flash code. I guess the Godfather really is knitting a Sackboy.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
What?

Knitting isn't reserved for females only. Actually it's a great activity to get your mind of things. After a bit of training your hands will move by themselves; you won't need to concentrate as during other silent activities like drawing or reading. It relaxes your mind while keeping your body busy, perfect for spending some quiet hours. More people should try it.

Anyway, a Mafia knitting game? GOTY right there.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
guy in the chair looks like a younger don vito corlone (played by marlin brando)from the godfather, even down to the suit and the hat.

The Lost Big Boss

Sep 3, 2008
L.A. Noire

EDIT: From the wiki page.

"As the title suggests, the game draws heavily from both plot and aesthetic elements of film noir - stylistic films from the 1940s and 1950s that shared similar visual styles and themes including, but not limited to, crime, sex and moral ambiguity and were often shot in black and white with harsh, low-key lighting."

That description fits that picture perfectly.

EDIT EDIT:
Little Big Planet 2? Damn I couldn't be more off if I tried...

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
lacktheknack said:
All right people, I WANT A CAPTION CONTEST.
I'm gonna make you a sweater you can't refuse

I really want to know what this is! And if it is a knitting game I sense the move will be incorporated with it!

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
lacktheknack said:
All right people, I WANT A CAPTION CONTEST.
Off the top of my head, and probably not that good;

Drop the needle, take the canole.

And now slip the needle through the hole and weave the fabric in and out.

See? It's that easy to make a sweater!

Although I just had a sudden thought;

MAFIA WARS!

Oh god, PLEASE don't let it be some stupid Mafia Wars tie in!

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
Cotton Gangsters !

or it could be that instead of being just a pawn, in every other mafia game, this time you're a Mastermind or Boss of an organization...

maybe that's why there's this metaphor with the knitting...

daftalchemist

Aug 6, 2008
Brotherofwill said:
What?

Knitting isn't reserved for females only. Actually it's a great activity to get your mind of things. After a bit of training your hands will move by themselves; you won't need to concentrate as during other silent activities like drawing or reading. It relaxes your mind while keeping your body busy, perfect for spending some quiet hours. More people should try it.

Anyway, a Mafia knitting game? GOTY right there.
For reals. Don't knock knitting until you try it. It's relaxing as hell, and even more addicting than The Sims and WoW combined. I've hardly played any games since I picked up knitting, but I don't even care because I have a kickass scarf to wear for winter (purple and black stripes, awwww yeeaaaah), and a new found love of Doctor Who since it was on Netflix and I needed a new show to watch while I got my knit on because I ran out of South Park episodes.

SelectivelyEvil13

Jul 28, 2010
That's correct: While he looks like he might be ordering the other two men to perform a hit, or making them an offer they can't refuse, he's also getting his crochet on and could be creating a hand-made Sackboy.

So what the heck is Sony teasing here?
I'm going to go out on a limb here, but maybe something to broaden the appeal of LittleBigPlanet to more people?

Sackboy: Criminal Origin
The innocent looking creature dubbed 'Sackboy' of LittleBigPlanet is now known for his lovable nature as he hops to and fro across fantastical landscapes of creative inspiration in platforming splendor. A humble being that caters to the appearance and even gender to a player's whims; the Sackboy or Sackgirl defines itself through the player's imagination.

The Sackboy populus prospered under the PS3's embrace as more and more attention was drawn to the world of LittleBigPlanet. All was well until one fateful day...

Cloaked in shadows, The Don heard of the series and desperately wanted to partake in the festive community. That was not enough so The Don devised a plot to create a Sackboy of his own making. The Don forged both needle and crochet to sire a knitted nightmare of violence, greed, and debauchery.

Upon finishing the fragile-looking creature, The Don held the Sackboy to the light in proud display to his capos.

"My Sackboy, my son," he purred through the smoky room.

The Sackboy's gleaming button eyes glowed of fire; his innocent face growing sour and cold. Gripping his master's hand to unhook the sewing needle. The Sackboy leaped upwards, springing in an acrobatic arc to The Don's throat, needle in his quivering hand. Scarlet slashes silenced the Mafia lord as the Sackboy brandished the needle towards the fear-stricken thugs. Usurping control, the Sackboy plotted a campaign of criminal proliferation and megalomaniac desire.

Take control as the one Sackboy twisted by corruption in his quest for power to claim the growing LittleBigPlanet and BigPlanet in his dominion of evil. How far will you take down law and order as the LittleBigWorlds of crime and platforming nonsense merge in a bloody showdown.

Just saying, I'd buy that. :D