European Union Wants To Educate With Virtual World

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
European Union Wants To Educate With Virtual World

The EU has commissioned the construction of an MMO world that will work like Second Life, only with more political discussions and flower arrangement.

The European Union isn't exactly known for being cool or sexy, no matter how hard it tries to fix this problem. In the past, these efforts have led to things like the Citzalia, a virtual environment that looks like a cross between LEGO toys and Second Life.

According to the Wall Street Journal, Brussels-based European Services Network has received €275,000 to develop the project, though it isn't exactly a game. Ahmed El Amin, ESN's project editor, explained: "People are calling it a game. But it's not, it's a simulation of how the parliament works and a forum for readers to debate ideas about the parliament and the EU."

ESN is also covering a quarter of the development costs and is hoping that Citzalia will serve as a prime example of groundbreaking work for future clients to check out. "We're not making any money from this," said El Amin. "We want to show the skills and thinking outside the box that we're capable of."

Citzalia will put users in virtual versions of the European Parliament offices located in Brussels, Strasbourg, and Luxembourg. Accordingly, "players can use their avatars to do everything from choosing flowers and furniture to debating the effects of climate change."

The project is still in the development stage, but it doesn't really sound like anything more exciting than a 3D political forum. I could see this being a useful tool for educators who want to show their students how the EU works, but it doesn't really seem like it's going to get the masses interested in how the parliamentary system works.

Source: The Wall Street Journal

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
Hmm. Educational game. Doesn't look like a lot of fun at all, which misses the point of it being a game. And, therefore, limits the educational value because people don't want to play it.

Elburzito

Feb 18, 2009
'Ahmed El Amin'.... Not the name I expected to be linked to the E.U.

OT: Honestly, it just sounds like more bullshit propaganda I've come to expect from the E.U. It seems like an interesting idea, but don't expect me to touch it.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Ahmed El Amin said:
People are calling it a game. But it's not, it's a simulation of how the parliament works and a forum for readers to debate ideas about the parliament and the EU.
Ahmed El Amin said:
People are calling it a game. But it's not, it's so much more terribly boring.
Fix'd.

Yeah, that's not very encouraging.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
..I want an office in the corner, and a place where I can met foreign dignitaties with a hole, which has tigers in it!

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
I'd rather have a FPS about EU politics. Don't ask me how that would work, but I think it would be awesome :p

Valkyrie101 said:
Hmm. Educational game. Doesn't look like a lot of fun at all, which misses the point of it being a game. And, therefore, limits the educational value because people don't want to play it.
But its not a game, its a simulation.

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
HG131 said:
So, it will include lots of blackmail, secret deals and murder? Sorry, I had to make a corrupt politicians joke there.
If it doesn't involve shady political dealings, declarations of war, and flying penis attacks, I'm not interested in said MMO experience.

HontooNoNeko

No more parties?
Nov 29, 2009
You know when I decide to make a Demo for something that I received ?275,000 to make, I expect walls that don't look like incomplete paper cut outs. No 8-bit sound bites either? Its a minute and a half video and they almost put me to sleep with a fucking teaser video.

Can anyone tell me how long they spent on this because if its longer than an hour I would expect my money back.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
one of the main goals are to:

Blur the boundaries between the living and nonliving

Increase the public's confusion about what distinguishes living beings and machines. in order to get an easier acceptance of genetic engineering and future implants.

TOOLS USED
Trivialize and multiply the machines that mimic the appearance or behavior of living beings:
- Robotic toys, Tamagoshi
- Virtual reality, artifacts, avatars ...
- Virtual TV presenters
- Film: characters androids or holders of bionic implants, creatures half-man half-machine ...

Jark212

Certified Deviant
Jul 17, 2008
Valkyrie101 said:
It might be as fun as Math Blaster, or if they're really good Oregon Trail...