2014 Dota 2 Championship Has Biggest Prize Pool in Esports History

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
softclocks said:
SomeLameStuff said:
softclocks said:
Man I wish they would calm down with the TI prizes, try to divide some of that money among other tournaments.
Valve only runs one International per year, the others are from other organisations, so there's no need to divide up the prize pool.
It's not good for the scene.

It's not as bad as it was around TI1 and 2, but a lot of teams do buck-all year round since there's not enough stuff to keep them motivated.

Vici's like the only team that's shown conistent form...
Since when are events like Dreamleague and Starladder not enough to keep teams motivated?

Edit: Seems SomeLameStuff beat me to the punch. ;p

I'm also not sure about the complaints that Valve isn't doing anything with Dota 2, there's just been a major bug fix update, there's regular content and quality of life updates, and last year saw 10 heroes being added to the game, each of them raising the bar for Dota 2 model and animation quality at that.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
Well i know im buying the compendium when my paycheck comes, it's not really expensive but there's a lot of cool stuff and i like to support esports :) Here's to some epic matches

softclocks

Mar 7, 2014
SomeLameStuff said:
softclocks said:
SomeLameStuff said:
softclocks said:
Man I wish they would calm down with the TI prizes, try to divide some of that money among other tournaments.
Valve only runs one International per year, the others are from other organisations, so there's no need to divide up the prize pool.
It's not good for the scene.

It's not as bad as it was around TI1 and 2, but a lot of teams do buck-all year round since there's not enough stuff to keep them motivated.

Vici's like the only team that's shown conistent form...
Not enough? There's dozens of tournaments all year round. Starladder, Dreamhack Winter AND Summer, ESL, MLG TKO, WPC, D2CL, The GIGABYTE Challenge, the JoinDota league, the new Beyond The Summit tournament... you just have to look hard enough.
I never said taht there weren't other tournaments.

I'm saying that those other tournaments aren't enough to keep teams motivated.

Even Starladder faces a ton of drop outs and walkover matches.

Flatfrog

Dec 29, 2010
I can't help feeling that Valve took a pretty hefty cut of that $10. Couldn't they have spent twice as much on prize money and only made half the profit, for an event that will presumably make them a fair amount of revenue on marketing value alone?

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Flatfrog said:
I can't help feeling that Valve took a pretty hefty cut of that $10. Couldn't they have spent twice as much on prize money and only made half the profit, for an event that will presumably make them a fair amount of revenue on marketing value alone?
I don't mind Valve making hand over fist when they do such a fantastic job of supporting the game and the e-sports community. Besides, you get a lot more benefit from having the compendium than you do from just having a normal ticket and BP boosters.

Pedro The Hutt

Apr 1, 2009
On top of what Denamic said, it is also worth noting that Valve has done all their The Internationals so far sponsorless, they financed the full thing out of their own pocket. They even pay Twitch to disable ads during the event on the official channel, the backs of monitors get stickers over them to hide brand names, and so on.

Compared to the LCS which has sponsors left right and centre. So yeah, I feel that Valve is free to take 75% of the Compendium sales because hosting such a major event out of their own pocket, in Seattle's largest venue, can't be cheap at all. Not to mention the initial $1.6m prize pool which also comes from them.