Bioware Talks Mass Effect 2

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Bioware Talks Mass Effect 2

With E3 just around the corner, Bioware has released a video outlining their plans for Mass Effect 2.

Men with impressive mustaches talking about a darker tone for the game, and weapons that 'kill [enemies] a thousand' times when they hit, what's not to like? Hopefully, Bioware's push for intensity will mean that the achingly-slow elevator rides and the lackluster planetary dune-buggy missions will be a thing of the past. Either way, this video makes me insanely jealous of the people going to E3.

Source: Rock, Paper, Shotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2009/05/16/mass-effect-2-prelude-to-e3-trailer/]

Rhayn

Free of All Weakness
Jul 8, 2008
I'm promising myself not to read or watch anything from E3 this year, as I'll just end up with the most horrible urge to invent a time machine just so I could play the god damned games that are released just when I go into the military.

It's like they've planned all the good releases just so I couldn't get them.

But not to go too off-topic. I'm a bit confused about the guns that supposedly are so powerful that they could blast someone from the Citadel to Earth, but the rest of the stuff they said sounds very promising, indeed.

whyarecarrots

Nov 19, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
How the hell are they gonna work it for people who haven't played the first game?
I imagine they'd come up with an 'average' storyline, made up from the most common choices people would have made from the first game?

And I haven't even played the first Mass Effect yet, but I'm still very excited by what they're showing here. The footage being used in the background looks very promising.

herr.Didi

Apr 17, 2009
I just LOVED the first game, but I'm really afraid they are going to kill Shepard...

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
How the hell are they gonna work it for people who haven't played the first game?
Similar to KotOR 2 I'd imagine, where there was a 'canonical' story for those who hadn't played the first game.

Arrers

Mar 4, 2009
Looks good, but do we get to see what the Quarians look like (or female turians)

Nargleblarg

Jun 24, 2008
I saw yesterday it looks awesome although I am upset because my first charector was lost with my xbox memory crashing so i'm not looking forward to have to rebuild him.

But I do love the little spoiler at the end.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I'm guessing all the support characters will be alive still. Probably allow for new characters starting at level 40 or something. That or restart everyone's levels down to 1. Hmmm, or....

If you played Mass Effect 1, you start as Commander Shepard. If you don't, he becomes KIA and you start as someone else... hmmm

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
nilcypher said:
Arrers said:
Looks good, but do we get to see what the Quarians look like (or female turians)
There are no female Turians, they reproduce asexually. (Not really.)
That's the Asari, I think ;) There all 'female' hehehe, yeah, technically ;)

WillSimplyBe

Mar 16, 2009
Doug said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
I'm guessing all the support characters will be alive still. Probably allow for new characters starting at level 40 or something. That or restart everyone's levels down to 1. Hmmm, or....

If you played Mass Effect 1, you start as Commander Shepard. If you don't, he becomes KIA and you start as someone else... hmmm
Well, I suppose they'd do it like they do in the .hack// games, set you to a decent level, and give you decent stuff to start with, although nothing like someone who started with the first game. I suppose that for the sake of character storyline for the lack of the first game, it would assume you just chose all the middle choices for everything.

Also, I'm really curious about these new weapons and the new style of the game. Will it be less cover oriented? Will they still rip through my shields like swiss cheese? Oh, well, I look forward to a "Nice relaxing day on the beach... Blasting bad guys with mah boomstick!" To quote Ashley Williams.

....<3 Shotguns.

Jul 9, 2008
Sounds interesting. Now, by a show of hands, who is at all surprised to hear me say that?

For once, I really can't wait for E3. This and Alpha Protocol are really the games I'm going to be looking for.

RebelRising

Jan 5, 2008
Well, I am freaking out by how good all of this sounds, I really hope they deliver on everything. But then again, they're not LionHead studios, so no real worries there.

I'm gunning for this to be the best Bioware game ever. Also, Dragon Age is looking more and more awesome. Fanboy spazz!