StarCraft II Sells Three Million In a Month

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
StarCraft II Sells Three Million In a Month

StarCraft II has begun its long journey to match its legendary predecessor by selling three million copies in its first month on shelves.

Since its 1998 launch, the venerable StarCraft has sold about twelve million copies. Today, Blizzard announced that in its first month on shelves, StarCraft II [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1283439763&sr=1-1] was already a quarter of the way toward that goal. Since July 27th, announced Blizzard, StarCraft II has sold 3 million copies around the world, making it the best-selling PC game of 2010 thus far, and the fastest-selling RTS title of all time.

1.5 million of those copies were sold in the first 48 hours, letting the title breeze to an easy three mill over the next few weeks. Not quite the outsold the original [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102350-Analyst-Predicts-7-Million-Copies-of-StarCraft-2-Sold-Before-End-of-Year] in the UK. It's an even more impressive number given that the game is 100 percent exclusive to Windows and Apple PCs.

"We appreciate all the enthusiasm that players around the world have shown for StarCraft II," said Mike Morhaime, CEO and co-founder of Blizzard Entertainment in a statement. "It was important to us to deliver an overall gameplay experience that was accessible, balanced, and fun, and it's been gratifying to see how strongly the global community has already embraced the game."

These numbers are well-deserved, because the makes balance changes [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/7939-Review-StarCraft-II] and adds playability functions for left-handed players, and at least one of the features fans have been clamoring for - chat channels - will soon be on its way as well.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
They can count on that number going up by another 1 when the price gets closer to £30!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Glad to hear it, I contributed to those numbers, escaping from work to wait in a (farily small) line for the shop to open and get my filthy hands on a copy.

The game well deserves those numbers and even more, truly it's the best RTS I've ever played, and this is coming from someone who hated RTS games and even hated the first game with his soul.

This game can convert anyone to an RTS lover.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Well deserved sales. Would be nice to see it break the record of total RTS sales which is currently held by Starcraft 1.

I do wonder how they're going to factor in Heart of the Swarm/Legacy of the Void into sales. Aren't they meant to be "standalone" expansions in comparison to Broodwar which required SC1?

masseyguy911

Aug 6, 2010
Well, this doesn't surprise me. A great RTS, and a worthy sequel to one of the best RTS games ever.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
And people say that PC gaming is dying? Really?

And also, screw those balance changes, I want my damn region lock removed!

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well it still looks massively boring to me but at least it shows that there is a market for rts games still

Skizle

Feb 12, 2009
Amnestic said:
Well deserved sales. Would be nice to see it break the record of total RTS sales which is currently held by Starcraft 1.
Give it 12 years when Starcraft 3 comes out

Sevre

Old Hands
Apr 6, 2009
I'd just like to add a "Well done Blizzard" and "InB4 Terrans OP!"

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Anything that sells over 9000 copies is bound to be successful.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
ahhh i never knew about this patch and.... wait....
it's cool i don't usually use reapers or siege tanks and games usually end before i need battlecruisers. i wanted them to nerf that thing where the protoss build cannons inside your base before you even have a marine.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I can imagine Blizzard is happy with the sales. I kjnow I would!

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Worgen said:
well it still looks massively boring to me but at least it shows that there is a market for rts games still
You know people like things that you dont like right?

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
psrdirector said:
Danzaivar said:
They can count on that number going up by another 1 when the price gets closer to £30!
wait a year or two :p
Waiting until all three are brought out and then buying them all as part of a "Battlechest" type deal will probably end up being the cheapest option.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
A general rule of thumb is that any game with 12 years of PR behind it will sell well.

Arcanist

Feb 24, 2010
geldonyetich said:
I wonder if 3 million sales was enough to offset the tremendous budget they probably spent on the thing's prolonged development.
If my calculations are correct, they've grossed somewhere around $150,000,000. And, according to Blizzard, they've spent less on this game than they have on World of Warcraft, which had a development budget of around $100,000,000.

In other words, this game is a smash hit financially, and for good reason.