PAX 2010: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Hands-On

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PAX 2010: Marvel vs. Capcom 3 Hands-On

We're all livin' in a button-masher's paradise.

Read Full Article

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
There is beautiful moment in new fighting games when two players can sit down hit a button and marvel at the sheer insanity on screen. I will always remember the first time I played MVC2 and me and my opponent watched in wonder as a crowd of dinner serving servobots came streaming across the screen and crushed Ryu underfoot. As I got better at the game and discovered it's intracacies there was more fun to be had but that initial "holy shit" moment is what comes to mind everytime I think about the game.

I can't wait for MVC2!

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
I loved the first one. Havent hade a chance to play the second one. But damn this looks good and who doesnt want to play as Amaterasu or Dante?

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
I'm so jealous that you guys are at PAX, also regarding button mashing didn't The Escapist have a hilarious article about someone trying to get drunk and button mash his way to victory?.

Mr Funk, have they slowed down the gameplay from MVC2 to MVC3?, you know like they did with Tatsunoko to appeal to the mainstream, or is this title remaining for the hardcore speeders.

Evilsanta said:
I loved the first one. Havent hade a chance to play the second one. But damn this looks good and who doesnt want to play as Amaterasu or Dante?
Indeed, I'm also waiting for Hayato to be announced, as you can tell I like swishing a sword.

Avayu

Apr 15, 2009
"I don't know what I just did, but that was friggin' awesome!"
That's basically how I play(ed) fighting games. However, after playing BlazBlue a bit, I think I might should change that.
Anyway, MvC3 is only for consoles, anyway, isn't it?

Dahemo

Aug 16, 2008
This is annoying news, as after my purchase of SF4 I resolved not to be a button masher any more, after mashing my way through Soul Calibur 2 and feeling very guilty for it. This mean whenever button mashing friends pop over I'll now have to suffer humiliating defeats while learning the characters. No fair...

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
There will never be infinite combo loops or glitching. Capcom patches that stuff now.

Oh well, I'm still waiting for MvsC3! I can irrevocably guarantee that will be buying this on the first day, even if it costs $200. I don't think I've been waiting for any game for longer or with more anticipation. When it comes out you'll find me playing on xbox live 24/7, well not really, unfortunately I have a job now.

Conqueror Kenny

Jan 14, 2008
Evilsanta said:
Judging by how good Dante was when I played it, everyone will want to play as Dante. People were already finding touch of death combos with him, and if he isn't toned down he will easily be one of the best (if not THE best) in the game.
ColdStorage said:
Mr Funk, have they slowed down the gameplay from MVC2 to MVC3?, you know like they did with Tatsunoko to appeal to the mainstream, or is this title remaining for the hardcore speeders.
MvC 3 seems to be much slower than its predecessor, it seems to be more akin to TvC than Marvel 2, at least in ow the game engine both speed and combo-wise works. As of yet there doesn't seem to be any super crazy magneto like character with almost impossible to block mix-ups and triangle jumps.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Conqueror Kenny said:
Evilsanta said:
Judging by how good Dante was when I played it, everyone will want to play as Dante. People were already finding touch of death combos with him, and if he isn't toned down he will easily be one of the best (if not THE best) in the game.
ColdStorage said:
MvC 3 seems to be much slower than its predecessor, it seems to be more akin to TvC than Marvel 2, at least in ow the game engine both speed and combo-wise works. As of yet there doesn't seem to be any super crazy magneto like character with almost impossible to block mix-ups and triangle jumps.
Thanks Kenny, although I never thought Magneto was overpowered, I mean he was but when your playing against most people then you could overcome them.

In the pro tournies yes I agree, but when playing casual against people online I'd do fine although it seems like you know what your doing, so you'd probably destroy me!.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Well, MVC is so hyped on crack, its hard to know what you are doing. Its not like the slower 1 on 1 of normal Street Fighter. Plus I only know the SF character moves. I consider my MVC style as focused mashing.