Question of the Day, September 4, 2010

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Question of the Day, September 4, 2010

In his latest article [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8066-Experienced-Points-Before-There-Was-Halo], Shamus Young details how Halo reinvented the shooter genre. Which shooter do you think had the most influence on the genre? How come?

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Pong.
What?
Everything has to start somewhere... just think of pong as the game that first had the ability to throw back grenades...
Honestly, I don't know enough to choose any of those. Although I've heard good things about what GoldenEye 007 did for the genre.

May 25, 2010
Half-Life was the first FPS which was genuinely clever and had an emphasis on story that combines with the gameplay. It was basically the first, truly good FPS. And the one that set the standard for single-player shooters.

As far as multiplayer shooters go, Quake was probably the one. And GoldenEye007 for console multiplayer shooters.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Uhh... depends.

Influence on the general concept? Influence on specific mechanics? Influence on the current generation?

Question really isn't specific enough.

I guess my vote goes to Doom. Sure, Halo might be the father of the genre, but Doom is the great-grandad.

silentsentinel

Mar 16, 2008
I know it's not the most popular, but after Halo's release regenerating health became a staple in all modern shooters, so I voted that...

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
I'd love to be able to say half-life, but its not like there have been many other first person shooters with a large emphasis on story told primarily through gameplay. Some fps have tried to have a story, but its typically told in clumsy exposition dumps. Then, once halo hit, story stopped being a priority and the genre functionally took several steps back into "doom/wolfenstein" territory.

Before you say anything, if a game wants a story, it can't be sold separately.

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
I am torn on this one. As the poll reflects, Im torn between Doom and Halo. I have to ask are we weighing these as franchises or single titles?

Doom technically has influenced virtually every shooter that has came out since.

However I tend to think Halo was instrumental in the massive surge in popularity that lead to other shooter popularity

If were talking about franchises, Im going to go with Halo, Halo 1 for condensing the control mechanics down to a logical gamepad format, Halo 2 for proliferating and expanding the notion of console online multiplayer.

If were talking only the first installment of each respective franchise, Doom.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
Bah, so many influential shooters it's hard to choose one.

While Doom helped get the genre going, Half-Life and Quake helped it a lot.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
Half Life, as it brough us games like FEAR, Area 51, and basically every game that you don't need to snap your wrist to play it properly.

Arella18

Apr 22, 2009
Wolfenstein 3D was the first FPS game in existence so it influenced the shooter genre more than any other