John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
PAX 2010: Killzone 3 Hands-On

Pack a parka. And some bullets.

Read Full Article

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
Jetpacks do sound pretty sweet. I've always loved a good snowy aesthetic too, beats the old muddy brown anyday!

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
I can't wait for them to show off the jungles they say they have in the game. :D

Apr 28, 2008
But I liked the weight of the first game...

Ah well. Hopefully they at leased fixed the hight issue of the player. In the second game your character was a head shorter than everyone else.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed that.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
If you want games that incorperate jetpacks than any game so far, play Tribes. All of them.

But this hands-on really felt a bit too vague John. Not trying to sound whiny but this was not really informative either.
yeah thats what I was thinking, it was a bit vague.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
1. You didn't miss anything by not playing Killzone 1. That game is awful.
2. I still can't figure out where all the complaints about the KZ2 aiming come from. I didn't have any trouble. Everything was fine to me.

DiscoAtThePanic

Sep 3, 2010
I heard nothing but bad about Killzone and Killzone 2. Were they successful enough to warrant another sequel or should the makers move on with their next game?

foxlovingfreak

Sep 9, 2009
Your remark about the game switching between Capture the flag to area control without going to a load screen. That was actullay in Killzone 2 it's mode called warzone I belive (please correct me if I'm wrong becuase it's been so long since i played) and it was one of my faviorte parts of the Killzone 2 Multiplayer and I'm glad to see it will be making a return in the next instalment.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
foxlovingfreak said:
Your remark about the game switching between Capture the flag to area control without going to a load screen. That was actullay in Killzone 2 it's mode called warzone I belive (please correct me if I'm wrong becuase it's been so long since i played) and it was one of my faviorte parts of the Killzone 2 Multiplayer and I'm glad to see it will be making a return in the next instalment.
I believe it was called CTF, multiplayer itself was called Warzone, and then in a match, the host of the match would select all of the types of modes in the match. Though you might be right.

Googooguru

Jan 27, 2010
Yeah was Warzone in KZ2 : the game type switches between Body count, Assassination, Search and Retrieve, Capture and hold & Search and destroy

Loved KZ2, still doing Online multiplayer to this day , game is so much better than COD

(personal opinion .....please put down the petrol and matches... is that a lynch.... oh great now the COD fan boys have real guns)

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Killzone 2 was okay.

The single-player was...meh, but the multi-player was pretty cool.

And this is a Dutch franchise man; I have to support my country.

Souljourn

Nov 11, 2009
Korten12 said:
Straying Bullet said:
If you want games that incorperate jetpacks than any game so far, play Tribes. All of them.

But this hands-on really felt a bit too vague John. Not trying to sound whiny but this was not really informative either.
I was lucky enough to be be in the playstation beta rooms event so I played this about a just over a month ago. If the PAx version is anything like that then the reason it's so vauge is that there is so little to comment on.

I found the whole game to be a bland and generic FPS. the whole demo was pretty much "get from this side of the map to the other, kill people on the way".

Though it did have jetpacks....

Anyway, point being that the demo didn't really do anything spectacular to talk about.

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
for the first minute of the match, my crosshairs kept flying past my intended target.
I haven't had a go on KillZone 3 yet but this sounds very KillZoney, the bullet trajectory actually correlates to how the barrel of the gun is aiming, so lots of recoil and the bullets go in the direction of where the barrel is at that point in time, the cross hairs aren't like in MW2 stating thats where they go all the time.... its more of a "good luck, bullets kinda go here", also the hitbox's are pretty good, so shoot a guy in between his arm and torso and its a miss.

If your so willing mark a dot on your TV and try different games, it takes a while to see but bullets do go in the direction of the barrel, actually go to Spinwhiz's house and mark a dot on his, because I hear he has an expensive 3DTV.

Makes no scoping bloody hard, which is good since you don't get alot of Snipers running around the map like nutters.

A particularly neat touch is that the game will switch gameplay modes without having to load entirely new maps - you can be playing capture the flag, one team wins, and it immediately goes into territory control without having to go back to a loading screen.
Thats in KillZone 2 as well, its cool because you suddenly have to switch up your playstyle on the fly to accomadate the new game mode, you'll be defending the bridge when suddenly your the intended target of the other team, so you better start running boy.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Irridium said:
But I liked the weight of the first game...

Ah well. Hopefully they at leased fixed the hight issue of the player. In the second game your character was a head shorter than everyone else.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who noticed that.
Alot of FPS suffer this problem, KillZone 2 compounds it by making you run around with what seems like an 8 foot Garza, tell me I'm not the only one who noticed in F.E.A.R. when doing a flying kick your leg was the size of the recipients eyeball.

Also tell me I'm not the only one that noticed Nakto looks like The Face Of Bo from Doctor Who.

IamSofaKingRaw

Jun 28, 2010
Souljourn said:
Korten12 said:
Straying Bullet said:

I was lucky enough to be be in the playstation beta rooms event so I played this about a just over a month ago. If the PAx version is anything like that then the reason it's so vauge is that there is so little to comment on.

I found the whole game to be a bland and generic FPS. the whole demo was pretty much "get from this side of the map to the other, kill people on the way".

Anyway, point being that the demo didn't really do anything spectacular to talk about.
Whats a "generic" FPS? If something is generic its a bland copy of something. I've never played or seen a game that is like Killzone 2. You probably meant to say that you didn't like the style of the game. Its in no way 'generic'.

Souljourn

Nov 11, 2009
IamSofaKingRaw said:
Souljourn said:
Korten12 said:
Straying Bullet said:

Whats a "generic" FPS? If something is generic its a bland copy of something. I've never played or seen a game that is like Killzone 2. You probably meant to say that you didn't like the style of the game. Its in no way 'generic'.
I think you might need to brush up on your definition of generic. I can only tell you what I saw - and what I saw was me picking up a gun, getting behind cover, shooting, running to the next bit of cover and repeating.

It was by no means bad, but it also left no lasting impression. The entire experience was getting from A to B.

I mean, the game-play was well polished and it was fun, but there were no set pieces of unique aspects to it.

But obviously I played a different demo to John so this whole thing is pretty moot.

DigitalSushi

Dec 24, 2008
Souljourn said:
I think you might need to brush up on your definition of generic. I can only tell you what I saw - and what I saw was me picking up a gun, getting behind cover, shooting, running to the next bit of cover and repeating.

It was by no means bad, but it also left no lasting impression. The entire experience was getting from A to B.

I mean, the game-play was well polished and it was fun, but there were no set pieces of unique aspects to it.

But obviously I played a different demo to John so this whole thing is pretty moot.
How much of the game did you play?, this is odd that a demo would have the "boring" bit of a game for you to play, normally demos use a hectic set piece without spoiling the "great bit" of the game.

Maybe its not to your liking?, although from a KillZone fanboy your very lucky to have played it, chances are I would have loved it but the reason I enjoy it is the way it feels which adds to the overall experience for me.

Your right though KillZone is a tad too much on the "getting from A to B" front, like all FPS's, but KillZone isn't good at hiding the pacing of its own gameplay like Halo and Half Life is.