202: Myra Comes Into Focus

jestaris

May 11, 2009
Myra Comes Into Focus

If you work in quality assurance, you're spending half your life in a game. But what if you lost track of the other half? Jennifer Estaris gives us a portrait of Myra, a game developer who takes her job a little too seriously.

Read Full Article

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
That's quite an interesting and very philosophical observation. As we move closer and closer to artificial intelligence within our games, do our avatars then become mini people and we gods, both Puppeteers and Watchmakers? How far down the rabbit hole, as it were. I was surprised that the present tense worked so very well for this piece but it gave a very up-beat feeling to the writing style.

nova18

Feb 2, 2009
I dont think I will ever see A.I in the same way again.
Easily the best article I have read in a long time, gave me a lot to think about.

Fingerprint

Elite Member
Oct 30, 2008
After finishing that it gave me the impression of standing between two mirrors. The concept leaves me haunted, feeling almost... hollow. It's beautifully written.

Lord_Ascendant

Jan 14, 2008
whoah....just....whoah.........that was pretty awesome

it has this sort of hollow feel to it. Like after spending so much time playing God with our digital creations, do we in turn loose our humanity?

Very deep, I like it.

Higurashi

Jan 23, 2008
Hm, an issue I have thought of many times, and reflected upon myself as I flee the virtual world for the forests I lived in. Flee from the methods I used to flee from reality. Now this is advanced escapism.

As for the work in itself, it was quite vivid, so I liked it. The writing gets a bit stale at some places where the short sentences pile up.

CoverYourHead

High Priest of C'Thulhu
Dec 7, 2008
This is a great piece to reflect on one's gaming self - our personality given unpredictable powers in a realm that we ourselves create. And I won't be able to destroy an A.I. without reflecting on them ever again.

Beery

May 26, 2004
Higurashi said:
The writing gets a bit stale at some places where the short sentences pile up.
I didn't mind the style. I just found the characters unappealing. By page two I still didn't care about Myra or anyone else, so I ditched it.

bimbley

Jan 31, 2009
Beautiful writing. The vacancy of the character, gradual unraveling of a life and slippery grasp of time are very reminiscent of Chuck Palahniuk or Brett Easton Ellis. As the story builds to a crescendo in which the real and the artificial become inseperable, it is the skill of the writer which makes this read a real experience. I am in awe.

-Bimbley

nikolstein

May 21, 2009
Thank you for the enjoyable read. The build up was, even though a bit slow, steady and worth the full story at the end. I felt like even though there was "resolution" at the end, I can't help from wondering if Myra is also just a player in someone else's giant game. Oh wait, she is... It shall really never end...
This has inspired.

For Science

Apr 27, 2009
nikolstein said:
Thank you for the enjoyable read. The build up was, even though a bit slow, steady and worth the full story at the end. I felt like even though there was "resolution" at the end, I can't help from wondering if Myra is also just a player in someone else's giant game. Oh wait, she is... It shall really never end...
This has inspired.
Easy test, give in game Myra invisibility and see what happens.

zlic

Apr 15, 2009
For God's sake, make a distinct line between work and your life :) AI's, VR's, 3D models, textures, spawning points are nothing, and they mean nothing to you, you'll forget they existed because no one knows but you, how a multiverse of your life looks like. Unshareable.

Vim-Hogar

Sep 2, 2008
Wow, I think I'm going to have to read that again, and I-- I don't do that sort of thing. Generally.

Want to know the part where I was suddenly sure this was a good story? Well, I'll tell you anyway; it was right here: "Two eyes, nose in the middle, mouth under." And it only got better(?) from there.

badsectoracula

May 4, 2009
Very good story!

It also reminded me at some point at the past when i was in a coffee shop with some coworkers from a game company i worked as a coder at. For a few minutes i was staring outside at the sky and there was a long black telephone cable. For a while i was convinced that there was a texture misalignment in the skybox and this was a seam :).

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
Well, it may be because of the linguistic differences, but somehow I was unable to enjoy this to it's full extent. It started out great, but somewhere in the middle it descended into a jumbled pile of short sentences that I was simply unable to fully comprehend. It was a very hard read.

On the other hand, I like the story. Thanks.

Gxas

Sep 4, 2008
This was an excellent read. Thank you for this. I'll be passing the link around now.