2020 - the new decade, the new era, new games. whats your most anticipated ones?

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Hello friends,

so this decade let alone this year ending. we are ushering into new era of gaming, next generation of gaming starting jan 1 2020. this is the end of an era. all good and bad things come to an end so instead of looking at past. we should look at future now. and future looks bright. so what are your most anticipated games of this new era?

heres mine

System shock 3

Dont know if its coming out in 2020 or not but they did release a gameplay teaser few month ago and it looks great. a pure immersive sim. its sequel to one of the best game ever made and its been like 20 years. made by industry legend warren spector. even if it become half as good as second one. it will be one of the best game ever. really hoping they wont screwed it up.

Doom Eternal

Sequel to best FPS of decade. and a masterpiece. whats not to like? resurgence of old school FPS genre. Doom Eternal looks to be next step in next generation FPS masterpiece. the game releasing in early 2020 in march feel like very strong start of new era. if this is next id software masterpiece. cant wait to play it as it will be easily best game of 2020 imo.

Cyberpunk 2077

The way i see, Cyberpunk as Deus Ex and System shock 3 as System shock 2. although i cant say im excited but looking forward to it. everything else except core gameplay looks good here. FPS/RPG set in sci fi cyberpunk setting that remind me of Deus Ex. let see if it fill the gap or not.

Halo Infinite

This Might be the first time im actually excited for Halo. although i always view this franchise as just average. however infinite looks like the first Halo game to be develop with PC in mind along with xbox and not just straight xbox port. its a soft reboot of franchise. pushing hardware to limit and making it semi sandbox game and focus more and more on story. let see what they will do. some say 343 meh but look what bungie is doing. making worse than 343 is doing ie Destiny.

Dying Light 2

I always impressed by this game when it was announced despite not liking original one. its world looks so amazing combat seem so improved and its not just zombie invasion game. its story driven first person immersive sim like game that i think we need more of this. plus techland are very talented and conumer oriented developers so bring it on.

Age of Empire 4

Another Great game to look forward to in 2020 as this is the game that is resurgence of RTS games that are missing and killed by MOBA. maybe this is the part of microsoft redemption but honestly we do need another proper AAA RTS games that were missing and this is the right call.

so theres probably more of 2020 games to look forward to that may not announced.

although theres STALKER 2 coming but its too far. and will not release in 2020. if we are lucky than 2021.

so my friend, what is the most anticipated game of new era? lets discuss

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
B-Cell said:
System shock 3
Cyberpunk 2077
Dying Light 2

"...a pure immersive sim. its sequel to one of the best game ever made..."
"...FPS/RPG set in sci fi cyberpunk setting that remind me of Deus Ex..."
"...its story driven first person immersive sim like game that i think we need more of this..."
I love immersive sim elements but we need to STOP making the SAME damn one every time, it's NOT good. Immersive Sims have basically become like Rogue-likes and Souls-likes where it's the same game every time. You need to take core ideas and concepts and put them in new and different games instead of making the same damn game again. Here's Mark Brown [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7BWayWu08&t=443] talking about that very same problem with regards to Prey. Hopefully Arkane's DeathLoop brings something new to the table. I am interested in Dying Light 2 (never played the 1st) but the Mirror's Edge parkour has me interested along with hopefully important decision making in a zombie apocalypse, which will hopefully not make it just another zombie game nor just another immersive sim.

Also, CDPR has yet to demonstrate they can make a good game (with regards to actual gameplay) yet alone make something as good as Deus Ex. CDPR has never made a FPS or immersive sim either. Even best case scenario is that they recreate the gameplay of Deus Ex and it's well written so what we'd end up with a better written Deus Ex (which, again, that's best case scenario), is getting a game slightly better than something 20 years old that good of a thing?

B-Cell said:
and future looks bright
It really doesn't, game design has highly stagnated in AAA, even an EA Star Wars game is a Souls-like now, that's not a good thing.

---

Anyway, my picks are...

Gamedec
-The concept of this game is amazing and far far more ambitious than Cyberpunk (as they're both cyberpunk-y). You play as a game detective that solves crimes that take place in various MMO games like people getting sick in a Wild West MMO farming sim. The cases are prototyped by having people play through them pen and paper style to see what solutions they come up with and incorporate several different ways to solve the case into the game. Here's an article [https://www.pcgamer.com/gamedec-is-a-investigative-cyberpunk-rpg-that-swaps-combat-for-case-files/] about the game. Who knows if it'll actually deliver but the concept is pretty fucking awesome.

DeathLoop + Dying Light 2
-I mentioned them a bit above; Hopefully they bring new and interesting ideas to the immersive sim genre.

12 Minutes
-If you're not interested in the game after watching the trailer, then I don't know what to tell ya.

Ghostwire: Tokyo
-Hopefully Shinji Mikami brings something new the horror genre, eschewing the tried and true RE4 formula. I think very little is known about the game; I'm hoping for a horror game really really light on combat.

Gods and Monsters
-I have no idea what the gameplay will be like but the trailer and artstyle looks amazing.

Desperados 3
-A Wild West themed game from the makers of Shadow Tactics!!!!!

No Straight Roads
-You control a rock band fighting against EDM-loving baddies, nuff said.

The Pathless
-From the team behind Abzu, game looks amazing as expected.

Iron Harvest
-Post-WWI mech themed game. Basically Scythe: The Video Game.

And Scythe...

---

And sequels I'm looking forward to...

Disco Elysium sequel
-Disco Elysium greatly moved the bar up for RPGs. Can't wait to see what the next entry will have in store for us.

Horizon Zero Dawn sequel
-Robo-dino hunting is so much fun. Hopefully a sequel can add in some systemic game elements and/or possibly important decision making. Oh, and make human combat good.

The Last of Us 2
-Hopefully it continues on the story of the Joel and Ellie (probably mainly Ellie) with the same quality as the 1st. I'm not too high on the game because at least one of the main creative minds behind the original is not apart of the sequels development.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Hmm I dunno- Bannerlord I guess?

That's literally all that comes to mind. Everything else is just the same as what's come before.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Apropos of nothing, technically the new decade doesn't start until 2021.

Curious as to where CA will take the TW franchise after Troy/WH3. And aside from CyberPunk and the rest of next years releases that I'm interested in (of which there aren't that many, admittedly), there isn't much in the coming ten years I'm psyched for. See what rolls by, I suppose...

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Catfood220 said:
Yoshi178 said:
Pikmin Fucking 4!!!
Has that been announced? Did I miss something or is it just wishful thinking?
Not Officially.

But Miyamoto confirmed it's existence in the later years of the Wii U era and he keeps saying that development is "almost finished" even confirming that Hey! Pikmin for the 3DS was not Pikmin 4

but it never shows up for some stupid reason. it's stuck in development hell.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
I'll just take things as they come, and if whatever comes happens to be nothing I like, that's also fine.

Maybe Metroid Prime 4? I mean, I don't particularly need it, but it would be nice, I guess.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Umm 2020 only needs 1 game.

Final Fucking Fantasy Fucking 7 BOYS!!!!!!!!! Let's GO!

God why isn't it March yet?

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
The games I end up enjoying most will be random stuff I don't know exist yet.

Here's to another two or three expansions of Final Fantasy XIV, I guess.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Resident Evil 3 (you shoot the dog in the head)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/952060/RESIDENT_EVIL_3/

Freedom Planet 2 (you can play the dog)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/595500/Freedom_Planet_2/

Hollowknight: Silksong (dog not involved, probably, or its a bug)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1030300/Hollow_Knight_Silksong/

Spiritfarer (you can hug the dog)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/972660/Spiritfarer/

Star Renegade (the dog is a robot and its biting you)
https://store.steampowered.com/app/651670/Star_Renegades/

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CritialGaming said:

you're not even getting the full FF7 game next year...

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Squilookle said:

That's literally all that comes to mind. Everything else is just the same as what's come before.
He said this coming decade, not the one after.

There's been a lot of rumor about a new armored core game, I'd love that, especially if it's closer to the style of 1-3, I didn't care for 5 and it's focus on multiplayer.

Crusader king 3 could be cool, in maybe 3-5 expansion

Otherwise mot much is on my radar, mostly because there's so much stuff in my backlog that I don't see the point in looking at unreleased game yet.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:

You're not getting pikman 4 or Metroid Prine 4 so don't piss on my parade you damn dinosaur.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
CritialGaming said:
Yoshi178 said:
CritialGaming said:

You're not getting pikman 4 or Metroid Prine 4
You don't know that. they could easily be announced in a Nintendo Direct saying they both release in Holiday 2020.
is it unlikely? yes.
impossible? no.

and when they do come at least they will both be complete games instead of being split into part 1, part 2, part 3 etc....

so don't piss on my parade you damn dinosaur.
giving you a taste of your own medicine is more fun though. :3

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
Meiam said:
Squilookle said:

He said this coming decade, not the one after.
Guess I set myself up for that one- I'll pay that :p

Kwak

Elite Member
Sep 11, 2014
Country
B-Cell said:
so instead of looking at past. we should look at future now.
A little ironic considering all those games are based on past properties.

stroopwafel

Elite Member
Jul 16, 2013
The obvious ones: FF7 Remake, RE3 Remake, Nioh 2 and Cyberpunk. Nioh 2 at the top of my list as no doubt I will play this one the absolute most. Nioh 2 beta already fixed most of the complaints I had with the original so this one could be perfect.

So many awesome games in the first few months alone.