2020 - the new decade, the new era, new games. whats your most anticipated ones?

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
stroopwafel said:
Nioh 2 beta already fixed most of the complaints I had with the original so this one could be perfect.
Did they remove the loot system and Souls elements?
No, that's the core gameplay of Nioh and was very well liked.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CritialGaming said:
Phoenixmgs said:
stroopwafel said:
Nioh 2 beta already fixed most of the complaints I had with the original so this one could be perfect.
The core of Nioh is Team Ninja's combat. Loot systems only work at endgame and Souls only works in Souls.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
CritialGaming said:
Phoenixmgs said:
stroopwafel said:
The core of Nioh is Team Ninja's combat. Loot systems only work at endgame and Souls only works in Souls.
Then you will not like Nioh 2.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America

RE3Remake
Ghost of Tsushima
Bayonetta 3 (if they ever bother with a release date.)
Bayonetta/Vanquish Double Pack
Street Fighter V: Champion Edition
Doom Eternal
FF7 Remake (depending on reception and the time I have)
Negative Atmosphere
No More Heroes III

And most importantly.......

Streets of Rage 4!!!!

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CritialGaming said:
Phoenixmgs said:
CritialGaming said:
Phoenixmgs said:
stroopwafel said:
Then you will not like Nioh 2.
Well, yeah, I don't like bad game design.

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
Nioh 2
RE3 Remake
Doom Eternal
Hollow Knight: Silksong
System Shock 3

...and if I'm extremely lucky, Metroid Prime 4.

Phoenixmgs said:
The core of Nioh is Team Ninja's combat. Loot systems only work at endgame
Damn, someone should tell Zelda & Elder Scrolls quick. They'll flop hard otherwise.

and Souls only works in Souls.
If we're not talking about combat, what exactly are we talking about? The loss of souls/amrita when you die, with a chance to regain at your grave? The difficulty? The looping, connected level design?

This is all widely beloved stuff.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
Silvanus said:
Phoenixmgs said:
The core of Nioh is Team Ninja's combat. Loot systems only work at endgame
Damn, someone should tell Zelda & Elder Scrolls quick. They'll flop hard otherwise.

and Souls only works in Souls.
If we're not talking about combat, what exactly are we talking about? The loss of souls/amrita when you die, with a chance to regain at your grave? The difficulty? The looping, connected level design?

This is all widely beloved stuff.
Zelda definitely doesn't have a loot system that I'm referring to nor does Elder Scrolls I think (I'm not a fan of Bethesda games, only played F03 for a couple weeks). I'm talking about the loot systems that are level-based and you're constantly finding something better like every hour or less like say Borderlands or Divinity Original Sins (thank god there's a mod to fix that). Those systems are pointless until endgame because even if you find some epic/legendary (purple/orange) sword that perfectly fits your build/character, it'll be useless in an hour or so when you find some generic (white) sword that just does far more damage and the bonuses of that legendary sword that fit your build just can't compete with the damage output of the generic new one you just found. All the loot system does is make you do unneeded inventory management and doesn't help make your build unique or anything (because every piece of gear becomes useless in like an hour) until you actually hit endgame and that legendary sword that fits your character perfectly is now permanent until you actually do find something that is actually better. It's far better to have player damage increase due to character leveling vs gear as then you don't have to constantly switch out gear all the time. It's as simple as say DnD where a rogue's sneak attack damage increases every couple levels vs needing to get a new dagger all the time. Both methods accomplish the same thing but one method just causes so much unneeded busywork to accomplish said thing. Loot is actually something Souls does pretty well.

With Souls design, I'm talking about the whole bonfire, estus flask, respawning enemies, souls/exp loss on death, and probably a couple more elements that other games copy for no reason and they only fit in Souls and only Souls because that stuff makes sense only in that world and on the whole, it's really only OK game design to begin with. Even Sekiro, none of that stuff makes sense in its world, and the Souls design elements only bring the game down. I find it hilarious that people think Souls created a new genre when Souls is simply a take on dungeon crawlers. We don't need every developer making the same exact type of dungeon crawler that From decided to make. Same thing happened with roguelikes and immersive sims to a less extent. Genres are BROAD, and don't include copying the exact design of a singular game. Mark Brown [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lx7BWayWu08] perfectly encapsulates the problem of copying a single game.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I'm interested in seeing how the Steam release of Dwarf Fortress turns out and if the game will finally become playable as a result.

Also, Shenmue 4 and a resolution to D4 while I'm being wishful.

CritialGaming

Mar 25, 2015
Phoenixmgs said:
Zelda definitely doesn't have a loot system that I'm referring to nor does Elder Scrolls I think (I'm not a fan of Bethesda games, only played F03 for a couple weeks). I'm talking about the loot systems that are level-based and you're constantly finding something better like every hour or less like say Borderlands or Divinity Original Sins (thank god there's a mod to fix that). Those systems are pointless until endgame because even if you find some epic/legendary (purple/orange) sword that perfectly fits your build/character, it'll be useless in an hour or so when you find some generic (white) sword that just does far more damage and the bonuses of that legendary sword that fit your build just can't compete with the damage output of the generic new one you just found.
That's the point of a loot game. It's fine if you don't like loot games, but that design has worked in every loot game ever. From Diablo to Boarderlands to Nioh.

I'm a bit unsure of what it actually is that you don't like really.

Ok you don't like the Souls Formula, fine, but that doesn't mean the game design is bad. You don't like what Nioh did with it, and that's fine. But I feel like you call things bad because you don't like that and I don't think that's a fair position to hold.

I hate Zelda games, but I can see that they are good games in their own right and very well designed for the most part. Something being bad and you not liking something are very different positions.

Games like Ride to Hell are objectively bad, from design to graphics to sound and everything in between. Superman 64 is another example.

But Souls are not badly designed games. Nioh is not badly designed.

Also you conflate the difference between copying a game, and being influenced by a game.

Nioh is influenced by the Souls games and take the Souls framework into its own design. No open world, a stat based loot progression system, a much more complex fighting system, super moves, crafting, customization, all are uniquely Nioh.

Lords of the Fallen is a Souls copy. That game does things just because souls did it. The Surge is also pretty much a Souls copy, however it does have a bit of flavor to its own combat and gearing system.

Most games take ideas from other games and twists them into being their own. Influence and copying are different.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
CritialGaming said:
That's the point of a loot game. It's fine if you don't like loot games, but that design has worked in every loot game ever. From Diablo to Boarderlands to Nioh.

I'm a bit unsure of what it actually is that you don't like really.

Ok you don't like the Souls Formula, fine, but that doesn't mean the game design is bad. You don't like what Nioh did with it, and that's fine. But I feel like you call things bad because you don't like that and I don't think that's a fair position to hold.

I hate Zelda games, but I can see that they are good games in their own right and very well designed for the most part. Something being bad and you not liking something are very different positions.

Games like Ride to Hell are objectively bad, from design to graphics to sound and everything in between. Superman 64 is another example.

But Souls are not badly designed games. Nioh is not badly designed.

Also you conflate the difference between copying a game, and being influenced by a game.

Nioh is influenced by the Souls games and take the Souls framework into its own design. No open world, a stat based loot progression system, a much more complex fighting system, super moves, crafting, customization, all are uniquely Nioh.

Lords of the Fallen is a Souls copy. That game does things just because souls did it. The Surge is also pretty much a Souls copy, however it does have a bit of flavor to its own combat and gearing system.

Most games take ideas from other games and twists them into being their own. Influence and copying are different.
I would argue all those games are not liked MAINLY for their loot. What was the biggest criticism of Diablo 3 (besides always online/auction house stuff)? The weak endgame, and that's where loot actually shines. Nioh is Team Ninja's combat. Borderlands is the skill trees. Sure, the 1st thing probably everyone thinks of with Borderlands is the bazillions of guns but I'm betting if you removed either loot or the skill trees from the next one, the skill trees would be missed much more by players. The guys and I at work one day when there was nothing to do (and Borderlands 3 just dropped) were all looking over the Borderlands 3 character skill trees and coming up with builds and everything, no one even commented on some new gun in the game.

The reason I don't like loot is that it wastes my time by causing so much godforsaken inventory management. I add/remove stuff from my inventory maybe once every 3 or 4 sessions in a PnP RPG for example. And that's because damage increases come from your character leveling/progressing, not from finding loot. You can literally keep all the interesting aspects of loot (like a rogue finding a dagger that increases crit damage by 10%) while offloading the raw damage increases to the character stats/abilities/etc and nothing would be lost from the game except needless inventory management. Aren't RPGs about CHARACTER progression and not GEAR progression?

I didn't say Souls game design was bad on its own, it works in Souls because it makes sense in Souls. It doesn't even work in Sekiro because it doesn't make sense in Sekiro and actually is at odds with the core gameplay in that game. Why does Sekiro have respawning enemies when the core game and combat system is about 1v1 fights against the bosses/mini-bosses? Souls is about surviving the world one bonfire at a time, Sekiro is not nor is Nioh. Almost nothing is bad game design in a vacuum, but it is when it doesn't fit the game it's put in. Souls stamina management is bad game design not because stamina management is inherently bad but because Souls stamina management doesn't actually make the player manage stamina (and I can just point to Monster Hunter for how that's supposed to work).

All games are built upon ideas from previous games, but you gotta make your game it's own thing. Like, Mark Brown's video I've linked a couple times in this thread already about whether it's a good idea for Soulslike to be a genre (spoilers: it's not), he gave the example that Thief is a much much better take on the immersive sim genre than Arkane's Prey. Thief took the concept a character tackling problems that made sense to them by giving the player a totally different character to play as. Whereas most immersive sims are giving the player basically the same character that System Shock/Deus Ex already gave us like Prey did. That only causes the genre to be extremely limited when it should be as broad as possible.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
So, I'm going to comment on some of the games already listed here, as to whether I have thoughts on them or not:

-Doom Eternal: Cautiously optimistic, and it's a game that I've set money aside for. You all know that I didn't like Doom 2016 much, but I can hope that the sequel irons out the kinks.

-Halo: Infinite: Really uneasy about this game, even though I've set money aside for it as well. It's supposedly due for release in one year, but we know next to nothing about it, either in terms of gameplay or story. That, added with the turmoil 343 seems to be in...yeah. Plus, what we do know is that it is selling itself as a soft reboot, and while that's not inherently bad, that it comes off Halo 5, which ended on a cliffhanger and had a massive change in status quo, then, yeah. I really liked Halo 5, but 343 seems to want to leave it behind.

-Metroid Prime 4: Oh hey, this supposedly exists. Not that I like the Prime games, but it's a case in point of what happens when you reveal a game too early.

-Resident Evil 3: I admittedly have some unease about this game. Don't get me wrong, I loved the RE2 remake, but that it's coming out so soon, and is coupled with a secondary game, makes me a bit uneasy. Also, RE3 was my favourite of the original trilogy, so while I'm hopeful, I'm tempered with caution.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
-Metroid Prime 4: Oh hey, this supposedly exists. Not that I like the Prime games, but it's a case in point of what happens when you reveal a game too early.
Nintendo was kind of in a "damned if they do! damned if they don't!" situation with this one.

yes they have people now going "lol does this game even exist? it's never coming out. lol"
But the Metroid fanbase was also incredibly pissed off with Nintendo after both Other M AND Federation Force. there was that and many Metroid fans also genuinely believed Nintendo had abandoned and given up on the series.

the announcement of Metroid Prime 4 and Samus Returns helped restore the fans faith though so it was good in that respect. plus they ended up releasing Samus Return for 3DS that same year and we've been waiting so long for a new entry, the fans can easily wait a few more years before they harp up again. at least Samus Returns helped quench our thirst in the meantime.

Vendor-Lazarus

Censored by Mods. PM for Taboos
Mar 1, 2009
<link=https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4138127>Distant Worlds 2
<spoiler=Screenshots>
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/9/6797A14F6F2D453393ADD29F7AA9151B.jpg
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/9/44E856E0FC4646498C07143F56D71505.jpg
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/9/3A3A559311584DC59E90036CB3DEFB2F.jpg

<link=https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t/whats-the-latest-on-crates-town-builder-game/47816/81>Unnamed Crate builder game
<spoiler=Screenshots>
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/uploads/default/original/3X/0/c/0c217093641375498bbc1de10f90028cc2e98ad0.jpeg
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/uploads/default/original/3X/d/4/d4a699df0cbcae8fca20dc69a3a4c837b3c1d086.jpeg
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/uploads/default/original/3X/9/5/95e9a94554f475827ab0ab59826715261cb1bbbd.jpeg

Trollskog
<spoiler=Screenshots>
https://trollskog.net/static/images/media/screenshot4.jpg
https://trollskog.net/static/images/media/screenshot2.jpg
https://trollskog.net/static/images/media/screenshot6.jpg

<link=https://www.gog.com/game/kynseed>Kynseed
<spoiler=Screenshots>
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/758870/ss_6f4cb7ab7aaacbbbe1019ae0683b7d6e9c5a499f.jpg?t=1576779252
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/758870/ss_918cdc2081d0e04e5157f290cfd2ba7db24bec5d.jpg?t=1576779252
https://steamcdn-a.akamaihd.net/steam/apps/758870/ss_5c141edabfbdfc3a14365691b8d786bd32175b12.jpg?t=1576779252

<link=https://www.gog.com/game/starpoint_gemini_3>Starpoint Gemini 3
<spoiler=Screenshots>
https://www.gog.com/upload/forum/2019/09/87ab75432c7a26641862a9f79104e3da6bb5e01e.jpg

B-Cell_v1legacy

Feb 9, 2016
Drathnoxis said:
I'm interested in seeing how the Steam release of Dwarf Fortress turns out and if the game will finally become playable as a result.

Also, Shenmue 4 and a resolution to D4 while I'm being wishful.
knowing how badly shenmue 3 failed and perform.

shenmue 4 wont happen.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
B-Cell said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
The decade ends December 31st 2020. It's 1 through 10, not 0 through 9.
by this logic. the year 2000 was also a part of 90s.
By his logic they should be referred to as "the 91's" instead of the 90's.