University Course Teaches Zombie Survival Skills

gregoryg

Mad Scientist
Jul 13, 2010
University Course Teaches Zombie Survival Skills

Students at the University of Baltimore can learn all about our rotting, slow-moving brothers in a new English course.

Universities force students to take all sorts of useless classes. When will you ever have to recall the date of Napoleon's surrender? If you aren't an engineer, when will you ever take another integral? While some of these required classes are questionable, the University of Baltimore will be offering one course that will teach an absolutely indispensable skill - how to survive a zombie outbreak. The school will be adding a class to its English catalog focusing on the popular monsters and their place in American pop culture.

The upcoming course is being taught by Arnold Blumberg, co-author of Geppi's Entertainment Museum [http://www.amazon.com/Zombiemania-Movies-Dr-Arnold-Blumberg/dp/1845830032/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283887165&sr=8-1], a pop culture museum located in downtown Baltimore.

Students taking this class will be required to watch sixteen classic zombie films and read a copious amount of The Walking Dead. While this sounds like my average weekend, the students will have to actually do a bit of work, including research papers, writing scripts, and drawing storyboards for hypothetical zombie flicks.

Baltimore University isn't the only option for students that want to survive the inevitable zombie apocalypse. Chicago's Columbia College has offered a zombie course for some time, and students at Iowa's Simpson College spent a semester writing a book on "The Great Zombie War."

Interested students at the University of Baltimore can sign up for English 333 now. Just remember - when the zombies rise, it'll be up to you to educate the unlucky masses.

Source: Yahoo News [http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100907/ap_on_fe_st/us_odd_zombie_class_1]

Apr 28, 2008
hehe, thats funny.

Eh, if a Zombie apocalypse does happen, it'll be easily contained. Unless the virus is airborn that is.

Still though, sounds like a fun class.

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Fuck you Baltimore!

sorry could'nt resist.

OT: why does'nt my school do this!

Feb 13, 2008
I hope they also look into Day of the Triffids, War of the Worlds and other "invasion" situations.

But for those interested (and in the U.K.), there's already The Zombie Times [http://www.terror4fun.com/zombie_mailing_list.html]. Tell Ed that Mike sent you. :)

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
You want to know how to pass that class. grab the search bar and go to town on the zombies

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
A university course I want to do! Listen up Britain, if you want me to get into Uni, do courses like this!

Thunderhorse31

Apr 22, 2009
What's next, is Baltimore going to offer science classes on Zombies too? Because you know, there's already good science available [http://www.cracked.com/article_18683_7-scientific-reasons-zombie-outbreak-would-fail-quickly.html] on the subject.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
So it's not actually about surviving zombie attacks, but about pop culture's reflection of the same? Meh, I expected more like "10 ways to use common household items to defend yourself from the walking dead" and "Machete 101".

The_root_of_all_evil said:
I hope they also look into Day of the Triffids, War of the Worlds and other "invasion" situations.
Day of the Triffids? Who'd ever want to look into that awful film?

Jack_Uzi

Mar 18, 2009
Mind boggling.... I wonder if you'll turn in to one of them during the course for the waste of good braincells during the process.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
It's just another English class with a specific topic: not wildly different from a Greek mythology class.

Still awesome though.

Off-topic, this contributor looks suspiciously like Seth Rogen.

Move over, Funk, new favorite news contributor!

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Sounds like at the veryl east could be an intresting course!

Firoth

Jul 14, 2010
Would bringing up fast/intelligent zombies (28 Days Later, I am Legend) be regarded in the same way as bringing up creationism in a science class? Because that would be an awesome debate to witness. You know someone would take it completely seriously and start breaking out references and notes and somehow actual science.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
I wonder on what job application it would be a huge plus to have a grade in Zombie survival..

as far as i know, not a single employer would ever think of that as a major plus..

So i dont understand why any students would probably pay money and waste their time on such extremely useless skills.

IMO, this is just outright stupid and a waste of resources..

procyonlotor

Jun 12, 2010
What an effing useless thing to do.

As if we don't get enough zombies shoved down our throats because Joe Sixpack likes Left 4 Dead too much.