Tele-screen

Nov 23, 2009
At first I couldn't relate to this guy, but then I projected it onto a real life experience and realized how arbitrary some of our goals can be when trying to prove something to somebody (and oneself). Just because it was in a video game, doesn't mean that not meeting this goal for his friend was any less meaningful.

Dr. Mark, making me feel more empathy for WoW players every day...

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Its a pretty sad circle - People who cant pull back find themselves trapped inside whats going on...Its all about striking a balance

RejjeN

Aug 12, 2009
Oh man, I rarely cry but this moved me to tears... Hope things work out in the end :(

Danakir

Jun 21, 2008
Very touching story. I'm moved, that I am.

I've no doubt this young man will find closure, eventually.

Bloodstain

Jun 20, 2009
This is a great article, but a sad story behind it. I am sorry for your loss, whoever-wrote-this.

I, too, use gaming as a means of escaping problems. It really helps.

Tirnor

Sep 3, 2009
Somehow, I can't imagine Luke wanting a do-over because Han saved his ass on that trench run.

Victory is often built on shared sacrifice and effort... and all involved usually know that.

By denying the value of the end because you aren't pleased with your personal role in the means, you are coming very close to insulting everything and everyone that contributed to your "less than perfect" victory. This includes the time you and your lost friend spent together in preparation for this fight.

A battle was won, a world was saved.. and a promise was kept. That should be more important than how bad-ass you were in the process.

The easy part is over. Your grand quest that kept you occupied, gave you focus and guided you with a purpose is done.

Good luck with the hard part: Not getting lost in the past, while still honoring it, and letting it enrich your present.

- Tir

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I was gonna say something witty and generally not serious, but I just remembered seeing my father die.
Sad story, hope you get better.
Also, great article as usual.

Jondare

Aug 23, 2010
Really a touching story, that goes a long way of showing what games can do, in a positive way.
And don't worry who-ever-wrote-this, like many of the above posters, i'm sure that you have fulfilled your promise.

Again, thank you for telling this story, reviving what little thrust some of us have left in humanity :)

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
You write good articles, Doc' and it does make me feel sad to hear about stuff like this happening.

I'm not looking forward to the day I have to hear about one of my friends dying or having to tell them I'm dying...

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
What an amazing response. At first I couldn't relate to the situation, but it was approached with such a fine mix of empathy and straight advice that I feel I now have a firm understanding and some empathy of my own.

To the letter-writer: Closure is important, but the ending of the "quest" will never be as important as the journey to reach it. In the big picture, delivering a perfect final victory would not mean as much to her as the time and memories you shared. You already won for her by being her friend to the end.

Motti

Jan 26, 2009
Wow, that was tear-jerking.
I am seriously loving this column, it makes you think about how video games affect us, whether in major or minor ways. That story really drove the point home better than most that friends from online can be just as important as friends IRL and we can have emotional connections with them just as strong as with our real life friends.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
Dammit Dr Mark! We all love you and your wonderful articles. You know how to make a man feel better.

Corpse XxX

Jan 19, 2009
That was extremely well written.. And makes it easier to understand many gamers situation, that it is an effective way to feel better about yourself..

This article damn near almost got me to tears..

I salute you!

Rylot

May 14, 2010
Wow, I simultaneously feel better and worse. Amazing article and a very unique look at how relationships and connections and the human psyche all interact through the medium of video games. Thank you.

As a jumping off point: I've noticed that looking for support with real life issues within certain communities online (be it an MMO or a forum, not 4chan or youtube comments) the anonymity of the internet surprisingly lends itself to an open and honest discussion between complete strangers and allows for people to discuss things that are really bothering them without fear of anything more than mean comment that is very easily ignored and to get usually very supportive responses from the community at large.

Sorry for the paragraph/sentence.