Red Dead Revival?

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
Red Dead Revival?

Beat Red Dead? Want more cowboys? MovieBob can help.

Read Full Article

npath

Apr 2, 2010
No list of westerns is complete without "The Magnificent Seven".

Actually, just cut out the middle man and make "Seven Samurai" an honorary western. And "Zulu".

Neuphim

Apr 15, 2009
Pretty nice list once again. Your point about Deconstruction of the genre almost ruining it was interesting to say the least, though I think it's a necessary evil. I found that the westerns that WERE deconstructed are the greatest examples of the genre.

Also to add to the list, I would also include The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, McCabe and Mrs. Miller, Dead Man, and the Proposition.

crotalidian

and Now My Watch Begins
Sep 8, 2009
Love Westerns (I'm 23). Pale rider is a notable abscence for me but then thats a lot of Eastwood. I'm also a huge 'Once upon a time in the west' fan because that harmonica is wonderfully haunting and athmospheric. I could go on with my Favourite westerns but will reseve judgement on these until I have seen them all.

EDIT: Ah Screw it here are the others

Magnificant Seven, its not the greatest but the cast and individual characters do pull the plot along well (and being based on a Japanese folk tale helps)

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid great gang film in the late days of the west. 2 friends against the might of the Rangers. Charming and fun without being overly serious

I add my voice to the Dollars Trilogy as the best constructed in terms of setting and mood as long as you can get past the dubbing of all the foreign actors.

Unforgiven and High Plains Drifter are also top notch but then I am a bit of a Eastwood fanboy!

one Question, there is a film with John Wayne where he and a friend travel accross miles to return a mexicn lady to her husban, only to set her free again when they realise how much of a dick he is, can someone get me the name of this film!

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
I'd also add Rio Bravo, Howard Hawks's slightly lighter take on the genre (some of the best and snappiest dialogue I've ever seen, and it has Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson singing a duet while Walter Brennan makes hilarious running commentary on the song they picked).

Also, The Magnificent Seven, the "other" Kurosawa adaptation (and I doubt I need to tell most people here what the most famous one is...)

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
What, no "The Proposition" or "3:10 to Yuma" (remake or original)? or "The Magnificent Seven"?

Definitely like "The Wild Bunch"'s inclusion on that list though, phenomenal film.

npath

Apr 2, 2010
Also, let me just say that Clint Eastwood as Two-Face would have been freakin' sweet.

Feb 13, 2010
Is there no love for Dances With Wolves?

Is it safe to assume that it isn't on list because it falls into the same category as Unforgiven - a western that's all about de-constructing the mythology of westerns.

Good list though Bob

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
PedroSteckecilo said:
What, no "The Proposition" or "3:10 to Yuma" (remake or original)? or "The Magnificent Seven"?

Definitely like "The Wild Bunch"'s inclusion on that list though, phenomenal film.
There are too many good Western movies for one list!

Of course some aren't going to make it in.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I gotta see some of these... I've seens a few westerns and loved them, but never got around to seeing the ones everyone hails as the best. Maybe now I have a "to-do" list.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
True Grit, dammit! It has John Wayne blasting fools while holding his horse's reins in his teeth! A remake is out this winter directed by the Coen Bros and starring Jeff Bridges. And yes the Dollars Trilogy is probably the most awesome of the bunch.

Another reason westerns probably died out is due to HORRENDOUS saturation. Superhero movies might end up the same way if we're not careful

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Westerns are the shit! One of my favorite genres, and any movie with John Wayne or Clint Eastwood is instant win. bit upset there is no "The Magnificent Seven", but really, it would have took Bob almost 25 pages to go through them all.

tigermilk

Sep 4, 2010
No 'Once Upon a Time in the West' (Leone 1968), really? To my mind critical engagement with Westerns is very interesting. Speaking personally I could see a "Johnny Depp revival" (I presume you don't mean 'Dead Man' (Jarmusch 1996)). Has there been a 'pirates' revival or just a sucsessful franchise? I'm not aware of any pirate/swashbuckling films beyond Depp's nods to the camera ironic Captain Sparrow films. These films don't to me feel comparable to Flynn's adventures or 'The Crimson Pirate' they feel quite contrived in a post 70's/Post-Classical Hollywood way.

On a related note 'Singin in the Rain' (Kelly 1952) to me feels like a challenge to the innocence of cinema during the tail end of the 'studio era'.

Acalla

Dec 21, 2009
That's a great list Bob. I agree that Dances with Wolves should not be on this list, but I really don't think you can get away without at least one of Kevin Costner's movies. Personally, I would replace Tombstone with Open Range. That movie is a great western in much the same vein as Unforgiven and shot like the older westerns from the 70s.

Oh, and what about Young Guns... j/k ;-)

philzibit

May 25, 2009
Red Dead Redemption defiantly sparked my curiosity for the genre and since then I have began watching and seeking out more westerns, needless to say, thanks for some of the recommendations.

scifidownbeat said:
This seems to be a very exciting list of movies. Hopefully I might remember to look at this list in the future and get some copies of these movies, especially The Wild Bunch and High Noon. Of those on the list, those two sounded to coolest to me.
The Dollars series is also worth checking out just for the musical scores alone.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
I agree with others that the omission of The Magnificent Seven is regrettable since it is fantastic, taking The Seven Samurai and adding enough to make it distinct enough to be its own movie.

I also recommend The Proposition as a great foreign Western. Ray Winstone, Danny Huston, Guy Pearce, Emily Watson and the ever fantastic John Hurt all put in a great performance (especially Hurt who steals the show), the setting is lovably bleak, music is pitch perfect and the ending was very hard for me to watch the first time around.

Finally, everyone should see at least the first season of Deadwood, which isn't so much a western as it is a wild west drama. It also features great writing and characters, finds a nice blend of drama and comedy, and great acting, particularly Ian McShane. I can't say anything for the other seasons of the show but the first is absolutely fantastic.

Albino Boo

Jun 14, 2010
I'm surprised that the magnificent 7 isn't there. You could argue that its just a remake of the 7 Samurai but a fist full of dollars is almost a shot for shot remake of Yojimbo. Also I have a great fondness for James Garners comedy westerns. Both support your local sheriff and support your local gunfighter make me laugh every time.