Valve: Team Fortress 2 Is Great for Testing New Ideas

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve: Team Fortress 2 Is Great for Testing New Ideas

Team Fortress 2 isn't just a for shooting spies and torching scouts, it also lets Valve try things it couldn't do anywhere else.

Valve co-founder and managing director Gabe Newell says that class-based, multiplayer shooter Team Fortress 2 is a great place for the developer to experiment and try out new ideas, without upsetting fans.

Newell said that because TF2 was a more stylized game than the likes of Half-Life or Left 4 Dead, it was possible to do all kinds of crazy stuff without "destroying" it. He used the example of the funny hats that Valve has added to the game, saying that it would have been nearly impossible to try that on something like Counter- Strike, but that it was something that TF2 could easily absorb.

Newell says that Team Fortress 2 isn't the only place that Valve tries out new ideas, adding that every game presents opportunities to try different things, but he admits that the range of interesting ideas is a lot more limited with more realistic games. "[E]ach time we look at it, [we ask] 'What are the things we evaluate?'" he said. "'What are the things we want to learn from this? What are the things we want to try out? And what are the safe things that we can try out that won't screw our customers?'"

It's fascinating to think that the additions to Team Fortress 2 aren't just about making that game better, but about making all of Valve's games better. Kind of makes you wonder exactly what it's learning from us.

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/08/interview-gabe-on-valves-big-surprises/]

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Cue the inevitable "Hats R Dumb"-comments.
(Personally, I think they are awesome!)

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
You know what would be a good new idea to explore, Valve? Another Meet the Team video.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well - If things good come out of it - Certainly cannot be a bad thing in my eyes

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
To be honest, i have TF2 on my pc, but i never took any time to play it.
The "hat" thingy does sound like fun to try, it is an achievement?

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I really want to see what Valve could do if they left the FPS genre behind. I'd love to see a racing game by Valve, an RPG by Valve, anything.

Screw new ideas, Valve. NEW GENRES.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I really hate TF2, mostly because I can't seem to get into it after I've tried multiple times, and it looks like the most supported game... ever. Kinda makes me sad... But hey, if it works it works.

vallorn

Tunnel Open, Communication Open.
Nov 18, 2009
Dirkie said:
first: your avatar makes my brain hurt. what is it exactly?

second:its fun and the Hats are awarded for various ingame taskes such as

the ghastly gibius:to get this hat kill another player wearing the Ghastly Gibius.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Maybe one of their "3 surprises" in the upcoming year will be that different kinds of neckwear will be available to everyone's favorite group of psychotics. I personally am anticipating a blue and white striped bowtie. Or, hey, maybe, I dunno, a Meet the Pyro movie?

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
vallorn said:
first: your avatar makes my brain hurt. what is it exactly?

the ghastly gibius:to get this hat kill another player wearing the Ghastly Gibius.[/quote]

The avatar is a cube with a clone and random effector, 2 minute thingy in cinema 4d.

If hat collecting is fun, i should try it sometime soon. Weekend is coming up.

coolguy5678

Apr 1, 2010
vallorn said:
Dirkie said:

the ghastly gibius:to get this hat kill another player wearing the Ghastly Gibius.
Most hats are earned in one of two ways:

1) Being incredibly lucky and getting one as a random drop at a really small probability
2) Accumulating enough randomly dropped weapons (at a reasonable probability) to craft one

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
Irridium said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
oh god...

[HEADING=1]Quick everyone. Batten down defences before the Xboxers get here!![/HEADING]
Sentry goin' up!
you wernt quick enough to stop the PS3's from getting in! *backstab and sapp*

Tharwen

Ep. VI: Return of the turret
May 7, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
I really want to see what Valve could do if they left the FPS genre behind. I'd love to see a racing game by Valve, an RPG by Valve, anything.

But then they'd need to expand from their pet source engine!

I actually think the reason they don't is just that. They've spent so many years making the Source engine great for FPSs that they don't want to do that again in a new genre.

...unless that's one of Gabe's three big surprises for this year.

phoenix352

Mar 29, 2009
Tharwen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

I actually think the reason they don't is just that. They've spent so many years making the Source engine great for FPSs that they don't want to do that again in a new genre.

i see nothing wrong with a source engine first person RPG game... oblivion is in 1st person .. so is fallout but it probably would take them half a decade to make ...

vallorn

Nov 18, 2009
phoenix352 said:
Tharwen said:
Onyx Oblivion said:

i see nothing wrong with a source engine first person RPG game... oblivion is in 1st person .. so is fallout but it probably would take them half a decade to make ...
Valve Time strikes again!!

a Valve platformer (ala Mirrors edge) would be epic

snowman6251

Nov 9, 2009
I love TF2. Its the only shooter I've ever played where a random group of people will actually work together towards a goal, rather than protecting their precious K/D.

That and its just well designed and fun.