Neverwinter Attempts To Recreate D&D

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Neverwinter Attempts To Recreate D&D

Jack Emmert from Cryptic tells us what the difference is between a cooperative online RPG like Neverwinter and the MMOs the company has produced in the past.

Read Full Article

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
Well, automatically, 4th edition D&D is essentially pen and paper version of an "MMO". Magic users no longer have to conserve their magic with their "at-will" powers.

It'll be interesting to see, but we're still a long ways away from seeing much of anything

Mymla

Jan 5, 2008
I... don't know. You'll have to look hard to find a bigger fan of the Neverwinter Nights series than me, but I really, really, really, doubt it can work in multiplayer. Seems like they're trying to do what Storm of Zehir's already proven is a bad idea.

Edit:
maddog015 said:
Well, automatically, 4th edition D&D is essentially pen and paper version of an "MMO". Magic users no longer have to conserve their magic with their "at-will" powers.
Well, yeah, but that only really affects the combat. I think I, personally, having never actually experienced fourth edition D&D beyond skimming through the core books, think that it's probably a better system to have in a CRPG.

But what this game does is try to make 2-5 sweaty nerds cooperate in an RPG over the internet, and frankly I doubt that can be done. It might be doable with a DM. But probably not.

Kenko

Jul 25, 2010
Another MMO by Cryptic that will blow chunks, what a waste of a good franchise.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
The idea looks really interesting, like everything Cryptic does. I don't know if it'll be good but I'm definitely curious to know more.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Sounds pretty interesting. Hope it'll come out good.
Heh, seeing the d20 on the picture, i instinctively wanted to take it and roll it...I'm such a nerd.

mythgraven

No One Is Special
Mar 9, 2010
Better get your wallets ready for the races, classes, and ships... err... I mean... magic spells... that will be sold to you post launch.

whiskey echo!!
mythgraven

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Hmm Cryptic, didn't they make that junk star trek mmo (about 10 years too late)?

Oh well at least Bill Roper isn't there to ruin DnD....

WeedyPirate

Feb 27, 2009
I'm scared about what they might do to Neverwinter...

But excited for the possibilities.

Will just have to wait and see :)

hecticpicnic

Jul 27, 2010
i was kind of young for d&d i know the concept but it takes alot of work to get it set up,
you got to teach everyone the rules buy a set or rule book what ever it sounds fun(its a bit nerdy anyway) and i think this is a good idea though.i play risk and poker regulary with my friends so i will just stick to that

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
maddog015 said:
That's my main problem with 4th, they removed attrition. There no reason ever to not go balls to the wall every fight and not worry about resources. Spam all your cheesy attacks you spam every combat without regards as to what the next encounter might entail.

Attrition is a tool the DM uses to gauges how difficult each encounter should be and how it's paced. Ideally by the boss fight the players should be down to 30% of the resources.

Eldan

Jun 22, 2008
Really, though, I doubt any game will ever come even close to D&D. It's not about combat. You get combat in any number of games. Same with puzzles. It's about creating and exploring a world. It's about interacting with characters. It's about finding creative solutions to problems giving limited, but widely applicable resources. It's about that stupid expression on the DM's face when he realizes that you just found a solution he never expected.

None of that works on a computer.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
tehroc said:
maddog015 said:
That's my main problem with 4th, they removed attrition. There no reason ever to not go balls to the wall every fight and not worry about resources. Spam all your cheesy attacks you spam every combat without regards as to what the next encounter might entail.

Attrition is a tool the DM uses to gauges how difficult each encounter should be and how it's paced. Ideally by the boss fight the players should be down to 30% of the resources.
Maybe your DM just sucks balls? Ever thought of that? DM's CAN do things that force the players into expending Dailies and making encounters where you gauge the party's strength by their at wills and Encounters and not by the basic attack. If a player is kicking ass, give them enemies that have really high- whatever defense their attacks target most. Grab the enemies that have resistances. Use the monster's cheesy attacks. Attack their lowest defense. Throw in traps. Make the players work really hard every encounter. It's not hard. I think it makes a campaign more epic when I have to use every encounter I have plus a Daily then find out the party can't stop and rest even fve minutes so no powers come back. But seriously, if you think at wills are cheesy, make your encounters specifically tuned to make those at wills desperately needed.

On topic, this game sounds like it's going to suck. I feel sorry for the IP.

BeAuMaN

Aug 17, 2008
Hey Greg, I'm gonna apologize ahead of time for sounding like a dick, but having played Neverwinter Nights as well as Pen and Paper D&D for a while...

Article said:
To my knowledge, it will be the first game to use these new rules; both Dungeons & Dragons Online and Neverwinter Nights were firmly ensconced in edition 3.5 of D&D.
Neverwinter Nights 1 used 3.0 rather than 3.5 (Trying to recall if they might have borrowed a couple features from 3.5 when it was in beta, but I digress).

otherwise, good article!

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Plurralbles said:
tehroc said:
maddog015 said:

Maybe your DM just sucks balls? Ever thought of that? DM's CAN do things that force the players into expending Dailies and making encounters where you gauge the party's strength by their at wills and Encounters and not by the basic attack. If a player is kicking ass, give them enemies that have really high- whatever defense their attacks target most. Grab the enemies that have resistances. Use the monster's cheesy attacks. Attack their lowest defense. Throw in traps. Make the players work really hard every encounter. It's not hard. I think it makes a campaign more epic when I have to use every encounter I have plus a Daily then find out the party can't stop and rest even fve minutes so no powers come back. But seriously, if you think at wills are cheesy, make your encounters specifically tuned to make those at wills desperately needed.

Or, we will just continue to play 3.5e like we always do, considering the group has hundreds of dollars invested in it. If I wanna give WOTC anymore of my money, I'd rather spend it on MTG.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
tehroc said:
Plurralbles said:
tehroc said:
maddog015 said:

Or, we will just continue to play 3.5e like we always do, considering the group has hundreds of dollars invested in it. If I wanna give WOTC anymore of my money, I'd rather spend it on MTG.
Fair enough.

camazotz

Jul 23, 2009
"Technologically, the game will work and look very much the same way that Cryptic's MMOs do. "It's the same engine for Champions Online, Star Trek, Neverwinter and every other product that we do," Emmert said."

I was hopeful until this quote from the article. I don't see how this game is going to be anything other than an atrocious reskin of their generic game engine...as a fan of 4th ed. D&D I was really hoping for something good with a close emulation of the game in a manner consistent with how NWN 1 and 2 emulated 3.0 and 3.5 respectively.....but....nope. Anyone who is familiar with the Champions pen and paper game and has tried the MMO will know what I mean. Ah well, at least there's DDO.

ravensshade

resident shadow
Mar 18, 2009
lomylithruldor said:
The idea looks really interesting, like everything Cryptic does. I don't know if it'll be good but I'm definitely curious to know more.
indeed..
though i'm a bit scared/annoyed that they use the same engine as CO and STO.. to me that isn't really a good sign. I mean while the engine worked out for CO's cartoony super heroing
but in my minds eye the look that i've seen the CO/STO engine produce just doesn't fit with NWN characters..