Portal 2 Originally Lacked Portals

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Portal 2 Originally Lacked Portals

Early concepts for Portal 2 might as well not have been called Portal at all.

When you think about Portal, what do you think of? Is it GLaDOS' brilliantly sociopathic commentary? Is it the cake, or lack thereof? Or is it the titular portal gun - the tool that you used to solve every single problem in the game? If you're anything like me, you probably think of all three, but only one of those is in the title of the game.

Which makes it all the stranger that some of the earliest concepts for Portal 2 didn't use portals at all. Speaking with PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/10/interview-valve-on-their-insane-portal-2-ideas/2/], project lead Josh Weier and writer Eric Wolpaw discussed the development of one of the most anticipated puzzle games of all time.

It's a great interview full of interesting tidbits, but this is one of the most interesting. Early on in development, says Wolpaw, the team thought, "What if [the Portal series] was always about introducing a new puzzle element that you're going through?" In other words, it was a series always focused on different mechanics instead of a continuous one. "[It's] about Aperture Science, and now you're going through this new testing track with this new element."

One of the earliest concepts that Valve toyed with was a game that revolved around the Half-Life 2 Gravity Gun and special "paint," which later became the repulsion and propulsion goo seen in the E3 Demo [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101842-The-Portal-2-E3-Demo-Will-Give-You-a-Headache]. The only problem was that no matter the mechanic, every single tester would always say, "Yeah this is alright, but where's my portal gun?" And really, can you blame them?

"I think Portal had this real elegance," says Weier, "where it was just: 'I have my portal gun, and everything is dripping from that,' And we didn't want to lose that, right?"

You know what? It's probably for the best that they started over. Paint wouldn't be nearly as catchy a title.

Check out the full PC Gamer interview - including why the co-op characters are robots - here [http://www.pcgamer.com/2010/09/10/interview-valve-on-their-insane-portal-2-ideas/]!

Luke5515

Aug 25, 2008
Someone should compile a big ole list of games that could have gone horribly awry, but the bad ideas got scraped. I want to read this list and see things that I never would have known otherwise. This would be a nice little mention on that list.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
That would actually be kind of interesting, but millions of "hilarious" people would make jokes about how it shouldn't be called Portal without the portal gun. Same types that make those "Why is it final fantasy when there's 13" jokes.

That said, it did come to define the series. Maybe they could try that stuff in DLC, or as the article said, place it in the game without removing the portal gun.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
I think that may have been ok. Maybe not paint, but a new puzzle element each time might have actually been pretty cool.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
John Funk said:
You know what? It's probably for the best that they started over. Paint wouldn't be nearly as catchy a title.
You just got got to embellish it a little. Try "Tag: The Power of Paint"

LitleWaffle

Jan 9, 2010
I slap the people of the past.
As for the present people, I give them a cookie for common sense.

Ramthundar

Jan 19, 2009
Though it still would of been a kick-ass game, Portal can't be what it is without the blue/orange circles of perpetual motion.

Though that Co-Op trailer was amazing, what with the puzzles and GLaDOS narration and the cute little displays of robo-affection. Though that last line gave me literal chills.

ninjajoeman

Mar 13, 2009
Silver Patriot said:
John Funk said:
You just got got to embellish it a little. Try "Tag: The Power of Paint"
now your thinking with brushes.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
I'm glad Valve is willing to try new things like this, but you can't take portals out of a game called Portal... maybe if it was a whole series of games about Aperture Science using new technology and such, but I kind of want new portal based puzzles and not having them wouldn't make much sense.

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
I like that about Valve. They try out lots of crazy ideas and recognize which one's should be cut.

They should have a miniseries called "Aperture" and use it as a potential launchpad for their riskier ideas. Much like how Portal is being called a launch pad for the portal gun.

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
Flying-Emu said:
Team Fortress 2: Now without teamwork!
That's pretty much how every match of that game I ever played went.

OT: What shocks me is that anyone even considered for the breifest of time that portal 2 would be better without the portal gun.

silver wolf009

[[NULL]]
Jan 23, 2010
That litlle, "..Or ill make you wish you could die." just sounded evil, awesome and evil.

OT: Cant wait for this game.

yoyo13rom

Oct 19, 2009
Bad Valve *smack* bad, bad Valve *smack*
I guess there are times when we just have to beat some sense in the developers.
Anyway, there's nothing bad about introducing new concept as long as you keep the original game mechanic!
Bad Valve *smack* bad, bad Valve *smack* Never smoke pot on the job *smack* *smack*
Now I'm off to make sure Bioware don't make a fool of themselves, too.