Dead Space 2 Co-op Multiplayer Skips Deathmatch for Objectives

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Dead Space 2 Co-op Multiplayer Skips Deathmatch for Objectives

[gametrailers=704322]

The brand new multiplayer mode coming to Dead Space 2 will be something more than deathmatch in spacesuits.

As promised, Visceral Games has officially revealed the multiplayer mode to be featured in philosophy of multiplayer [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-2-Playstation-3/dp/B00309XHD0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284183763&sr=8-1] by trying to do something that fits within the world of Dead Space rather than simply adding a deathmatch mode.

Players will be able to take on the roles of either humans or Necromorphs in Dead Space 2's multiplayer mode, but every level is objective based. Humans will have to fight to complete these objectives rather than just shoot as many Necromorphs as they can see. Failure to complete an objective leads to a loss, as seen in the latest trailer where time runs out and the Necromorphs win.

Up to four humans will play cooperatively against four different types of Necromorphs. Dead Space 2's multiplayer producer says that cooperation is key, as separating from the group will probably lead to a quick death. The story of each level will also tie-in to the single-player storyline of Dead Space 2.

Each human's weapon varies, and awesomely emits a different array of tracer lasers (I'm fond of the crossbow-like spread gun myself), and the four playable Necromorphs also have separate abilities. Returning from Dead Space [http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Space-Platinum-Hits-Xbox-360/dp/B000X1PE16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284184272&sr=8-2] are the Slasher, which attacks with bladed arms, and the Lurker, which can climb and shoot projectiles. New playable Necromorphs in Dead Space 2 are the Puker, which attacks with acidic vomit, and the Pack, quick, pre-teen Necromorphs that latch onto humans and try to rip them apart.

Visceral said that it would have had Dead Space's humans fighting each other in deathmatch, but it just didn't make sense. It's nice to see that Visceral is trying something unique with its multiplayer mode, in addition to something that makes sense within the game world of Dead Space 2, sort of like a Left 4 Dead Space. It'll be released on the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC on January 25, 2011.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
Ya, sounds a lot like L4D.

Which is a good thing. Certainly more interesting then yet another deathmatch mode.

I wonder if they'll have other normal objective based modes like CTF or king of the hill.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
I really don't like the fact that this game has multiplayer. Even if it's fun for a time, there's no way it'll have the lasting appeal of CoD or Halo, and I can't shake the feeling that it'll divert resources from the single-player, the mode that most people are more excited about. I'm not saying a game can't have both multiplayer and a great story mode, (Uncharted 2) but there's no denying that most of the best single player experiences of the past decade have come from games without multiplayer. (Half Life 2, Bioshock, KOTOR, Oblivion, RE 4)

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I belive what everyone is trying to say is Left4Deadspace.

it looks one sided, and at the same time, well balance, like this will take alittle more skill then L4D2 ((hide in a corner until every thing other then you is dead)).

And since you have to get to the objective, you really cant camp.

Hopefully the revive times as necromorphs is a bit more balanced then L4D. ((20 seconds. >.>; real balanced))

CheesusCrust

Sep 24, 2009
Yes seems to be very similar to L4D, but I think it'll be more interesting than just another deathmatch shooter.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I wanted the game badly before but now I just want to steal this from them. Not pirate I mean like mission impossible style so I can get it already. *hums the tune*

The first one was amazing for a scifi junkie like me but this is gonna be awesome.

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Okay, im not one to be a little pansy about these sort of things, But child necromorphs? A little overkill.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Tdc2182 said:
Okay, im not one to be a little pansy about these sort of things, But child necromorphs? A little overkill.

...But there were babies in Dead Space 1 to begin with....?

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Ignatz_Zwakh said:
Tdc2182 said:

...But there were babies in Dead Space 1 to begin with....?
Hmm, I thought those things were dogs.

Shaegor

Oct 29, 2009
The only game that has done objective based multiplayer well is Enemy Territory.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
WanderFreak said:
Left 4 Dead 3

IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!

But hey, any multiplayer that's more than "ZOMG KILL DEM!" is good by me.
You took the words right out my mouth. It is good to see that they are trying not to go Deathmatch between humans.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Tdc2182 said:
Well, they're meant to be horrifying in as many ways as possible. A little revulsion doesn't hurt that. Plus it would be kinda glaring for a giant space station to be infected and have no children hurt, heh.

- - -

This looks awesome. As in, like, so awesome. WHY ISN'T THIS GAME OUT ALREADY!

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Now i just want this more. I only hope the m,ultiplayer is balanced and i hope they didnt cut a chunk put of the great single player experience to make this happen!

OceanRunner

Mar 18, 2009
This is an interesting new concept for multiplayer, and I think it's better suited for this kind of game.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
"where time runs out"

Meh. Why not make it that enemies just get some upper hand over extra prolonged time? Just a time limit sucks dog's balls.

Chainsauce

Aug 14, 2010
Good to see they're not just taking the easy route. If you like L4D Vs. I guess you'll like this.