Columbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Columbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled

An elaborate plan to transform a student center at Columbia University into a Donkey Kong level has been cancelled after the pranksters lost their nerve.

"Project Miyamoto [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103357-Project-Miyamoto-Help-Build-a-Life-Sized-Donkey-Kong]" was a prank so grand that it required hundreds of dollars worth of materials, money that the project's masterminds turned to the internet to try and raise. But just days after the call went out for donations, the project has been cancelled over concerns that it couldn't be pulled off safely.

A message sent out by "AronSora" - the student that originally had the idea - to those who had pledged money said that the plan was getting too risky and he was calling it off. He added that he was worried that rolling barrels down the building's glass ramps would damage them, and the person dressed as Donkey Kong would hurt himself lifting the barrels over his head. He thanked everyone for supporting the project and for reminding him how "amazing teh intertubes are."

The site used to gather the donations doesn't take any money until the funding target is reached - which the project didn't manage - so no one is going to be out of pocket and no one will have to wait for a refund. AronSora said that the prank might be revisited in the future, but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5635666/donkey-kong-columbia-prank-called-off]

dududf

Aug 31, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.
He announced it on the internet, and a large amount of the student body knew what was going on.

So essentially this will never happen until you devise a means to make some one die if they break a promise, and communicate telepathically.

Huh.

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Well, I hope those who donated the money get their funds back or else I'd be pissed.
Logan Westbrook said:
The site used to gather the donations doesn't take any money until the funding target is reached - which the project didn't manage - so no one is going to be out of pocket and no one will have to wait for a refund. AronSora said that the prank might be revisited in the future, but that right now, he couldn't pull it off in a safe, non-damaging and most importantly, stealthy way.
You didn't read it very thoroughly did you?

OT: This would have been really funny to see. Shame it got cancelled. Safety first I suppose.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah, when I saw the article title I was wondering how it could be considered a prank. It's not a good prank if you have to tell everyone about it in order to get funds.

WINDOWCLEAN2

Jan 12, 2009
tomtom94 said:
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Curse you physics and logic!
Damn Physics always messin' with my Homies.....

OT: This is a shame, The world is in need of a good Gaming prank.

JWAN

Dec 27, 2008
what kinda barrels was he going to use? why not use foam or bulsa wood?

this guy isn't very creative.

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Straying Bullet said:
Well, I hope those who donated the money get their funds back or else I'd be pissed.
Did you even read the article?

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Well glass doesn't sound like a good surface to roll things on to begin with. I'm guessing there's a structure at Columbia University made of glass that resembles a DK lvl which inspired the idea.

All things considered, though, it is silly to get cold feet. Heck, the japanese pull this kind of stuff off all the time and get their asses kicked.

rees263

The Lone Wanderer
Jun 4, 2009
TsunamiWombat said:
Milo Windby said:
rees263 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Coumbia Donkey Kong Prank Cancelled
So where is this Coumbia?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_University

Google + Wiki = Best friend for info.
He was being sarcastic about the typo. I dunno, grammer nazi's always seem so snotty to me.
Ah well, at least someone got it. Of course now that the typo's been corrected I look a bit dumb...