Thieves Target Homes Based on Facebook Updates

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Thieves Target Homes Based on Facebook Updates

A recent burglary ring baffled police until they noticed that most victims had broadcast their home vacancies to the world.

Police have arrested three men in connection with 18 home burglaries in the Nashua, New Hampshire area that are suspected to have chosen their targets based on Facebook updates. After the victims made it available to the public that they were leaving their homes through the social networking service, the burglars would break in and rob them in their absence.

The Nashua area saw 50 home burglaries in August, but police were having trouble connecting them together. After the arrests, police say they know for a fact that Facebook updates were part of the criteria the criminals used to choose their targets.

Luckily, the thieves stole a large amount of fireworks from one of their targets and police were told to keep their eyes (and ears) out for people setting them off. That's just what the thieves did, with an off-duty police officer hearing the noise and investigating, which reportedly led to the pinching of the three burglars. Police recovered between $100,000 to $200,000 of stolen goods thanks to the arrests, including ammunition, videogame consoles, and jewelry (but there was surprisingly no meth lab [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103399-Police-Find-Meth-Lab-Searching-for-Stolen-Xbox] found).

It doesn't end here, as police expect to arrest even more individuals with an involvement in the burglary ring. Police Captain Ron Dickerson warns: "Be careful of what you post on these social networking sites."

Social networking is definitely a double edged sword. It's fun to rub it in all of your friend's faces that you're going on vacation, but this could also lead to an easily burgled home.

Source: WMUR [http://www.wmur.com/r/24943582/detail.html]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Heh. This is why you don't need to post everything you do on sites like Facebook.

Also, because most of your friends probably don't give a shit that you just went to go drinking at the bar/pub/party.

People must think I NEVER leave the house, because I turned PS3 Trophy updates on...Despite having not logged into my Facebook in months.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Nice joke about there not being a meth lab. =)

And yet again, another reason to not even bother with sites like Twitter or Facebook in the first damn place.

Trebort

Duke of Cheesecake
Feb 25, 2010
This is really, really old news. It's been happening in the United Kingdom for years now.

Suddenly people notice it in America and it's big news. Hold the press people, the Americans noticed something we've known about for years.

/sarcasm

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Hehehe, serves them right. You don't need to tell everyone in the world every stupid detail of your life.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
It doesnt help with the new "Places" feature of the mobile app, which tracks where u are when u log into facebook/post something through your phone. Hence, if you are out of the house and access facebook on your phone, other people will be able to tell when you arent in...

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
"oh hai guyzzz forgot 2 lock mah backdoor XD No1 rob me plz!!!!1"

This is what I'm sensing right now.

Calumon: Hooray for silly people! They're funny to watch ^^

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
I'll just leave this here...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive

Captain Karma

Apr 1, 2010
This is why I post false Facebook updates saying I am going to be out all day and then wait by the door with a baseball bat.

Cynical skeptic

Apr 19, 2010
Whats funny, is if some government agency or corporation was responsible for this data being 'leaked,' it'd be a gross invasion of privacy.

But since they're posting every insipid detail of their lives for all to see, they can only blame themselves.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
See.. Now facebook can't be blamed for this, dumb people can... What are you told form a young age? NEVER LET PEOPLE KNOW YOU"RE HOME ALONE!

In this case: never let people know not even you are home!

seriously people... really!?

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
well people shouldn't be so stupid and put that they are going on holiday on Facebook

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Oh Facebook/Internet, you bring me such joy is showing me how stupid people are.

Shockolate said:
I'll just leave this here...

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TooDumbToLive
I refuse to click that because I know for a fact that I might be distracted for the entire day.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
Captain Karma said:
This is why I post false Facebook updates saying I am going to be out all day and then wait by the door with a baseball bat.
guns work to. :) it is self defense!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
So the moral of this story? People can see things you post online, which is why you should always lie your ass off, ha ha! Or just, you know, don't post detailed itineraries of your day to day life so that strangers can peruse them at their leisure, as that's just a dumbass move.

Me, I happily tell strangers when I'm going out of town, because A) I'm posting under a pseudonym, and B) I haven't told them my bloody address, because I am not an idiot.

Armed with just my screen ID here and the personal details I let slip, you're not going to find me - heck, armed with my real name you probably still won't find where I live unless you already knew that, as more than 90% of the search results that appear when you input my real name into a search engine are extraneous, and the ones that do have my personal info listed bury it amidst a sea of other more likely candidates.