How Does Zero Punctuation Stack Up Against YouTube's Best?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
How Does Zero Punctuation Stack Up Against YouTube's Best?

What do Yahtzee, a girl teaching you how to put on Lady Gaga's makeup, and a dad in Seattle have in common?

If you're a regular visitor to The Escapist, you may have noticed that the site tends to be a bit sluggish every week at noon EST, and it doesn't take Albert Einstein to figure out why. It always feels like half of the internet shows up week after week to watch Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw tear into the latest and hottest games with his trademark caustic wit in Zero Punctuation, but is it true?

The number-crunchers at messages in bottles [http://adage.com/digital/article?article_id=145844] have actually been noticed - and we thought it'd be interesting to see how our very own Yahtzee measured up.

As it turns out, he's right up there with the best of them. Since Zero Punctuation first kicked off with "Heavenly Sword and Other Stuff" [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/1-Heavenly-Sword-and-Other-Stuff] three years ago, internet viewers have tuned in over 218 million times to watch the sharp-tongued Brit with the sweet hat shred their favorite (and not-so-favorite) games. Only a handful of YouTube's most popular come close to that number - let alone surpass it.

The numbers are impressive on their own, but it's even more interesting when you think about the audiences. Sure, Zero Punctuation is hilarious, but it's also aimed squarely at core gamers, an audience that many would still call "niche." The YouTube series, on the other hand, have a much broader "mainstream" appeal. What does this mean? Perhaps gamers are simply more devoted to things than the Average Joe, or perhaps gaming is simply more mainstream than most of us might believe.

Either way, beyond everything else, these numbers just go to prove how much people love Zero Punctuation. (Hint: They love it one hell of a lot).

Daemascus

WAAAAAAAAAGHHH!!!!
Mar 6, 2010
Its nice to see that Yahtzee gets more views than a "funny" cat video.

[sub]Now if only his damn book would get here already[/sub]

Outlaw Torn

Dec 24, 2008
It could just mean that making a video (almost) every week for three years adds up to a lot of views too. Or a lot of people like yellow and swearing. Personally I like the yellow. And didn't ZP start with The Darkness?

Arkhangelsk

Mar 1, 2009
That's some darn impressive numbers. But don't tell Yahtzee, his ego will swell up more and he'll demand a higher pay. (I kid, really.)

I can only dream of such stardom.

robotam

Jun 7, 2010
Yes we certainly love it.

Also I need to make sure not to post this comment until 5 minutes after the article was published.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
I wonder myself how Yahtzee would react to finding out he's THAT popular on the internet?

He'll probubly never be able to go out in public without getting chased by a crowd of fans asking for his autograph.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Thats actually pretty impressive although not that surprsing. Hell, I must be responsible for at least half those views *sarcasm*

Love the picture too, always good to have an excuse to remember the painkiller review. Might go watch that now....

Jim Grim

Jun 6, 2009
Then again, a video practically every week for 2 or 3 years... I'd rather see the numbers for one individual video.

Breaker deGodot

Apr 14, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:
It could just mean that making a video (almost) every week for three years adds up to a lot of views too. Or a lot of people like yellow and swearing. Personally I like the yellow. And didn't ZP start with The Darkness?
Nope, Fable was first. Check yahtzee19, his youtube.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Jim Grim said:
Then again, a video practically every week for 2 or 3 years... I'd rather see the numbers for one individual video.
yeah, it isnt a fair comparison with youtube, as with youtube, that is one video, with only that amount of minutes of content, compared to yahtzees entire collection, adding up to hours of different content. i dont think its as good as that really. still pretty impressive though, specially when you find out a friend watches it as well and never realised :)

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
TheEnglishman said:
Yay for Yahtzee!

Now if only Amazon would deliver his friggning book!
got mine! it even talks about interstellar bum pirates! not a spoiler or anything, but really funny for us!

Vitagen

Apr 25, 2010
While I do enjoy listening to Yahtzee tear games to teeny, tiny ribbons, I have to ask: Was this based on ALL Zero Punctuation views compared to views of a single YouTube video, or something else? If so, the numbers are more than a little skewed in Yahtzee's favor.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Outlaw Torn said:
There are plenty of successful tv shows that probably couldn't boast that kind of viewership over the years.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Yay for ZP!
Though, it's not really much of a competition, since Youtube's best consist of... well, really stupid people doing really stupid shit.

Archon

Nov 12, 2002
Jim Grin/Vitagen, if you look at the underlying AdAge article that this is referencing, AdAge is offering the *total* views the top content creators on YouTube have gotten, which are in the 60 million to 200 million plus range. We are comparing apples to apples - Yahtzee's total views to their total views.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
While the number may account for all of Yahtzee's videos, don't forget that a lot of the popular videos on YT have been around for a long time as well.

Well done, Yahtzee, well done.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
That's actually pretty impressive. I didn't know the Escapist was that popular considering the only people who I personally know who've heard about it only know about it because I told them to sign up.

Decabo

Dec 16, 2009
As much as I love Zero Punctuation, comparing Yahtzee's entire collection of over 150 videos over the course of three years to Youtube videos seems kind of ridiculous. Most Youtubers don't make a living off their videos like Yahtzee does, and can't afford to keep to a once a week schedule. If you average it out, Yahtzee is getting a little over a million views on average for each video. That's not as mind-blowing as you're acting like it is.