Majora's Mask is 300th Virtual Console Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Majora's Mask is 300th Virtual Console Game

Since the Wii launched in late 2006, Nintendo has been dutifully adding beloved gems from days of yore to its Virtual Console every Monday. Today, they hit a milestone - the 300th Virtual Console game is The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.

Majora's Mask is the "other" Nintendo 64 Zelda game. It was never quite as beloved as its predecessor, The Ocarina of Time - partially due to the fact that in order to play it, you needed one of those Expansion Pak thingies to give the N64 the extra juice it needed to run it. Did you have an Expansion Pak? Nah, I didn't think so.

Majora's Mask stars Ocarina's Young Link, who finds himself trapped in the alternate world of Termina - where a giant moon will fall upon the earth in three days' time, obliterating it. Thankfully, the hero still possesses the titular ocarina (of time) from the first game, giving him (and the player) the power to rewind time to the first day whenever they're running out of time.

While it remains one of the least-played entries in the series, most everyone who did play it loved it - at least, once you could get past the whole concept of rewinding time to start the three-day cycle over again, that is. Many loved the darker aesthetics, or consider the game's four main dungeons to be some of the series' finest. If you never got a chance to play it back in the day, though, now's your chance.

Majora's Mask will be available for purchase at 9 PM Pacific Standard Time today. In the meantime, have an awesome music video of the game set to Sonata Arctica's "Full Moon."

[Gavo]

Jun 29, 2008
Finally! I've been waiting for this to come out for a long time. Thank you, Nintendo!

Caimekaze

Feb 2, 2008
Yes. Oh thank you Nintendo.
I am happy now. My favourite Zelda, back in a form that I can legitimately own!

Gamer137

Jun 7, 2008
Great! I was always to scared of the piranhas or whatever in the third dungeon as a kid to beat it. Maybe now I can.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Indigo_Dingo said:
Ummm.....I got this a full month ago on my Wii....you might have your calender mixed up.

Personaly, I find the time mechanic itself to actually be one of the things I like most about Majoras Mask, because of how well it ties into the dark aesthetic itself. The race against time became one of the most terrifying things about it in the Anju-Kafei race, which still remains one of the best romances ever seen in gaming. Its that feeling of needing to disregard your safety to try and help these two be reunited....then, on another night, seeing Anju beneath the moon, awaiting her death, heartbroken.
We got the press release from Nintendo themselves today, so...

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
I played it, didn't like it. The time mechanic was one of my favorites and I just loved the atmosphere, but after awhile I just stopped playing it.

It's funny that you mention this, though, I bought an N64 at a local antique gaming shop and got Ocarina of Time with it. I just beat the water temple. Isn't that supposed to be the hardest temple in any zelda game?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kajin said:
I played it, didn't like it. The time mechanic was one of my favorites and I just loved the atmosphere, but after awhile I just stopped playing it.

It's funny that you mention this, though, I bought an N64 at a local antique gaming shop and got Ocarina of Time with it. I just beat the water temple. Isn't that supposed to be the hardest temple in any zelda game?
It's the most annoying in OoT, sure. Series? Probably not.

Kajin

This Title Will Be Gone Soon
Apr 13, 2008
That's odd, I thought it was pretty easy. In fact, the only time I recall myself reaching for a gamefaq was for the forest temple.

But this is getting off track.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
great game. it's no OOT or TP but it was good. i'd rate it the same as WW, great fun but nothing special. good to see it's been added to the Virtual Console though it will probably cost a hell of a lot to get.

tendo82

Uncanny Valley Cave Dweller
Nov 30, 2007
I've been waiting to play this game for about a decade now.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
Indigo_Dingo said:
Ummm.....I got this a full month ago on my Wii....you might have your calender mixed up.
This is about the US VC, not the PAL one.

Talendra

Hail, Ilpalazzo!
Jan 26, 2009
oh the US is only just getting it? That explains my sheer confusion at this thread, thought I was losing it for a bit there.

Lord George

Aug 25, 2008
I've got this on a gamecube disc, so I can already play it on my wii :D (£5 version of Zelda: Master quest FTW)

Ben66

Mar 6, 2009
Finally! I've been waiting for this forever. Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda game of all time.

*says good-bye to free time for the next week or two*

shMerker

Oct 24, 2007
Awesome. I was trying to play the Zelda Collection version of this a few weeks ago. It crashed and I lost about an hour of game time and didn't want to go back. Guess I'll be getting this sometime this week then.

jimduckie

Mar 4, 2009
sry friends i hated this game with a passion the biggest grippe was the time mechanics it drove me totally quackers but why get the same game twice ,still have the n64 version kick'n about