Editor's Note: The Red Box Diaries

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
The Red Box Diaries

Russ Pitts recounts his first Red Box experience and what it meant to him.

Read Full Article

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
I cant wait to get this set... is it already out???

any online stores that ship to México???, i cant find ONE store that carries D&D books here...

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
I loved this editorial, and it describes very much my own experiences with D&D and how they influenced my own career choice (who loves rules more than lawyers, right?), and also informed and furthered my computer gaming hobby. I actually came to PC games first, cutting my teeth on the early Ultimas before I really had the chance to play tabletop with my friends. However, we were clearly all in the same place as Mr. Pitts, right down to the grub worms and, yes, the succubus who, now when you look back at her, has some really fabulous glam rock hair.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
And for the love of all that is good and right in the world, be that person giving this to a young person you know so you can be loved and revered for years as Russ's uncle now undoubtedly is today.

oldmanscene24

Jul 11, 2006
wonkify said:
And for the love of all that is good and right in the world, be that person giving this to a young person you know so you can be loved and revered for years as Russ's uncle now undoubtedly is today.
I bought the Red Box a few days ago primarily to introduce my kids to D&D. Since I have no experience with 4th edition and do not wish to spend a fortune on books (at least not yet), I figured that the Red Box would be a good jumping on (back on in my case)point for us.

Dom Camus

Sep 8, 2006
Is this the right place to say how much I love this issue's cover art? Very cool. Whose work is that?

Idlemessiah

Zombie Steve Irwin
Feb 22, 2009
You know it's always a box and a colour.
I remember being convinced to get the Orange Box and instantly falling in love with the HL series, finally understanding Portal and being sucked into online multiplater in TF2. Since that day my PC has been so much more than juat a word processor. I love it!

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
oldmanscene24 said:
wonkify said:
I bought the Red Box a few days ago primarily to introduce my kids to D&D. Since I have no experience with 4th edition and do not wish to spend a fortune on books (at least not yet), I figured that the Red Box would be a good jumping on (back on in my case)point for us.
Good call. Try to make sure they share better than we did. ;)

Dora

Jul 13, 2009
You know the only reason I ever tried to play D+D was because the man who would become my husband was into it and I thought he was wicked hot. I was like, "Oh, yeah! The D+Ds! The... the first one is totally my favourite! I'm all about the D+Ds. Party on." And then I had to run out and buy Neverwinter Nights, which had just released, to figure out what the hell it was all about because none of my friends were into it.

Worked out for me okay. We've been together for nine years, married for three. He seems to have come to terms with the fact that I'm more interested in making zombies explode than rolling up clerics. He doesn't play much these days, but you can still make his upper lip twitch into a sneer by mentioning anything higher than 3rd edition. D+D snobs are adorable.

oldmanscene24

Jul 11, 2006
Russ Pitts said:
oldmanscene24 said:
wonkify said:
Good call. Try to make sure they share better than we did. ;)
Yeah, really. I've already purchased multiple sets of dice for just that reason.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
Dom Camus said:
Is this the right place to say how much I love this issue's cover art? Very cool. Whose work is that?
The art team works on each issue collectively and collaboratively. On behalf of all of them, I thank you for the compliment. I know they appreciate it.

Trogdor1138

May 28, 2010
A great write up of how something can be such a big influence on a life, which often goes without even thinking about it to a lot of people.

I bought the new Red Box almost a week ago and haven't played a proper DND game before but have always wanted to. It's a bit hard because it's not too easy to get it going here (in Australia) but I'm hoping to get some friends into it, my girlfriend had been wanting to play it for ages to and we're soon going to be exhausting the Red Box contents. I suggest it to anybody that is yet to play it, it's fantastic value and very well done. Especially since it was a little hard for newcomers always unless you knew veteran players who were there to guide you, me and my girlfriend were looking at the options of how to play for ages and didn't really want to go buy the books yet, mainly due to not having the time to go about it that way. As I said, this is perfect and the set I've been waiting to be released for life (the replica of the 80's box art is icing on the cake).

I hope this gets a new generation of players interested in the benefit of the hobby.

vxicepickxv

Slayer of Bothan Spies
Sep 28, 2008
It's kind of funny that my experience was quite similar, but with a different game. I started with the Red Box in the early 90's, but from there almost immediately jumped into Shadowrun. I hope the new Red Box brings in another group of players, not for me, but because it's always nice to be able to bring the enjoyable experiences to new players. Of course, Neverwinter Nights is still one of my addictions, and sometimes Impromptu DM sessions make people happy. Of course, sometimes they cry when I'm done, but it's just tough love.

wonkify

Oct 2, 2009
oldmanscene24 said:
wonkify said:
You, sir, officially rock. *salute*

Well done.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Exciting stuff, I've been thinking about getting the Red Box once I have some money again.