Microsoft Launches Jetpack-Equipped Spartans Alongside Halo: Reach

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Launches Jetpack-Equipped Spartans Alongside Halo: Reach

Microsoft kicked off today's launch of Halo: Reach by having Spartans fly over landmarks with jetpacks.

Analysts project Halo: Reach [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-Reach-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA20M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284486079&sr=8-1] sales to hit over $200 million in one day, and Microsoft expects it to be the "biggest game of the year." What better way to celebrate today's launch of the game than with a guy dressed as a Spartan flying around on a jetpack?

That's exactly what Microsoft put together in various spots around the world, including Trafalgar Square in the UK. Scarf-adorned Spartans were spotted guarding Trafalgar Square in a calm, serene scene that didn't seem terribly out of the ordinary, aside from the guys dressed in power armor holding giant guns. The scene was kicked up a notch when one Spartan whipped out his jetpack and went for a brief flight before landing in-between the other two Spartan guards.

The tie-in to Reach is that the latest and greatest from Bungie [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8101-Review-Halo-Reach] incorporates the new addition of jetpacks, so this wasn't just a cool PR stunt. Though it looks easy in the game, the man flying over Trafalgar Square had to make sure his armor gave him enough mobility to adequately control his real-world jetpack.

He didn't land on any children, so the flight seems to have gone just fine. The stunt was a really cool idea, but I can't imagine what people with no idea what Halo was must have been thinking. Men wearing futuristic armor, holding giant weapons, and flying through the air isn't exactly something you see every day.

Thanks for the heads up Kollega [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Kollega]!

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
This is just so... awesome.

Points for silly ingenuity! Its harmless, unlike the Resident Evil or Farmville stunts, and its just so fun! This is how publicity stunts for games should be.

Forgetitnow344

Jan 8, 2010
Kind of cool. The modern jetpack is a little unimpressive compared to the "real" thing though. Too bad we don't have that kind of technology, because it kind of detracts from the image for him to have those handlebars.

Stupid sci-fi, spoiling me and stuff.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I live in London...and I MISSED THIS?! D:

Anyway, pretty awesome and it's fun seeing these publicity stunts in places you know :p

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Crazy, but you can't accuse Microsoft of not knowing how to advertise well.

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
Soon we shall have REAL Spartans! LOL

On a more serious note I agree with the above statements, this is a great PR stunt that doesn't hurt anyone and is what really good marketing SHOULD be.

Virgil

#virgil { display:none; }
Legacy
Jun 13, 2002
Tom Goldman said:
Men wearing futuristic armor, holding giant weapons, and flying through the air isn't exactly something you see every day.
And that's a shame.

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
.....It wasn't a jetpack, it was a pressurized gas levitation system.

Okay, Jetpack sounds better.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
So what does Microsoft have left after this and Gears of War 3?

damn man that jetpack hasn't changed in appearance for decades >.<

Theistic

Oct 27, 2009
A jetpack.
I repeat people: A motherfucking bonafide jetpack.

That guy was in a Spartan suit and fucking flying.
That could not be more jaw-droppingly, mindfuckingly awesome if the guy was on fire and was battling Cthulhu.

I'm not going to buy Halo: Reach, most likely. But I have to admit I want a bloody jetpack because of this.

This is more of an advert for merch than the game.