Topical Tuesday: Your Favorite D&D Character

The Escapist Staff

Jul 10, 2006
Topical Tuesday: Your Favorite D&D Character

Which of your D&D characters will you always remember?

Read Full Article

Nightfalke

Just this guy, you know?
Sep 10, 2008
Name: Fletcher Green
Race: Human
Class: Rogue
Backstory: Professional treasure liberator for hire. Highly skilled in trap disarming and rearming. Especially enjoyed the ever popular "battle axe swinging into a doorway and your face" trap.
Edition: 3.5
Plot: Kill some monsters and take their stuff.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
Name: Zapp Brannigan (No one but me and my best friend knew who this was, so I thought it was a hoot)
Race: Dwarf
Class: Fighter
Backstory: Was kicked out of a Dwarvish Kingdom because I got into to many fights.
Campaign: I can't remember the name. It involved 3 weapons that were enchanted. Black Razor was one.
Plot: Find weapons, give it to merchants. Don't die.

TheAmazingTGIF

Friday Only Superhero
Aug 5, 2009
Name: Zalzabar
Race: Elf
Class: Ranger then Arcane Archer
Backstory: An elf full of wanderlust, left to go explore the world, may or may not have spent a bunch of time in jail.
Campaign: Homemade
Plot: Saved a kingdom from an ancient evil and then was killed by his son one campaign later.

craddoke

Mar 18, 2010
I was always the DM, so here's my favorite NPC.

Name(s): Dervin (aka Nivred)
Race: Human (cursed to eternal life)
Class: Shadow-Dancer (swordsman/assassin)
Backstory: Once the faithful captain-of-the-guard to Lord Wyrmspur, general of the Dragon Emperor's armies. Wyrmspur betrayed their emperor to save his elven wife (member of the last clan of elves, spared by Wyrmspur during the mass genocide) and his half-elven children, leading an exodus of slaves east across the ocean to freedom. Dervin, though, betrayed Wyrmspur during their escape, leading to the death of his master's wife and children. As reward, the Dragon Emperor made Dervin chief of his assassins and granted him eternal life. Dervin then spent hundreds of years torn between guilt, shame, and fear.
Campaign: Homebrew
Edition: 3.0
Plot: Two, actually. In the first, he betrayed the party to the Dragon Emperor's forces (he was leading the advance company of an invasion force coming to subjugate the free kingdoms founded by Wyrmspur). They died inside the Colossus built to commemorate Wyrmspur's victory over the Dragon Emperor's navy. In the second campaign (where he went by the alias Nivred), he infiltrated the party again - planning to assassinate them to protect his master. However, a run-in with the ghosts of Wyrmspur's wife and children in their ruined castle changed his heart. He eventually distracted the Dragon Emperor (actually a polymorphed Dracolich) during the climatic battle long enough for the party to defeat him - his curse/reward made him immune to the emperor's attacks.

QXR2

Sep 10, 2010
Name: Raam McTavish
Race: Minotaur
Class: Barbarian
Backstory: A minataur that liked to smash stuff
Campain: a short campain didn't last too long
Plot: wasn;t much of a plot either

Why it was awesome I knocked out all the enemy combatants with my tankard.

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
Name: Bortka
Class: Cleric
Backstory: Former Soldier in the G.U.D.R(Glorious United Dwarven Republic, think Soviet dwarves) Now works as a mercenry along with his adopted half-orc son called Rude and best friend, Halfling Rogue Leon.
Campaign: Origanl based around G.U.D.R
Plot: As mercenaries for G.U.D.R we fought various enemies until a friendly fire accident got us into serious trouble. I was imprisoned and my son executed, but Leon escaped. After several years he returned to reveal he had become a lich and made me his dark cleric in exchange for my freedom. If we had gone on I would have raised my son, and we would wage war on the G.U.D.R until we hopefully ruled the world.

Roofless

Oct 12, 2009
In my country official D&D rulebooks are extraordinary expansive, so it encouraged us to go 100% homebrew and create our own DnD-like game, based on our daily madness.
This one was my first character created in our daisy-flesh game.

Name: Sarcasm the Smartass
Race: Anonymous
Class: Texas Ranger
Backstory: a former information dealer and a scout-for-hire. Born and raised on the streets of the City of X, crawled his way to the top first as a hit man, than as a freelance spy and finally as an elite recon trooper.
Campaign: The Destruction Of Tatuin
Plot: after a kick-ass party in a local tavern, 4 adventurers decide to destroy planet Tatuin and begin their quest for the four Great Artefacts. When united, these items of unlimited power allow to manipulate the power of B.O.O.B.S. and bend reality to the will of the wielder.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Name: Ezekiel "Zeke" Rockson
Class: Swashbuckler
Backstory: Zeke had been born to poor parents in the slums of Port Wistfulness (yes, really). When he was five his parents - unable to support him and his three siblings (two brothers, one sister, he was the second child) his parents offloaded them onto the local church. Two years later, Zeke ran away from his new 'home' and stowed away on a merchant vessel bound for southern lands of exotic spice and more exotic women; though at age seven the latter didn't interest him all that much.

Sadly, he was caught by the Captain and put to work as a deckhand. Eventually he became a part of the crew and came to know them as his family, Captain "Scruffles" Menan almost becoming his second father. He was taught swordplay and the tricks of the trade for sailors, along with more generalised skills such as how to broker deals and fixing games of chance. During one particular voyage bound for those same southern lands as his first journey the ship was boarded by pirates and slavers, intent on plundering their booty. Captain Scruffles died in the ensuing fight and only a handful of crewmembers were left alive - including Zeke. Within two weeks of making port again, Zeke and his fellow crewmembers had broken out, stolen weapons and fought their way to freedom.

However, while they were free, squabbles soon broke out amongst the crew about what they should do next and eventually they decided it would be best if they went their separate ways as amicably as possible. Zeke, now a strapping young lad of 22, decided to try his hand at adventuring.

Campaign: The Merchants of Saladin (Our DM wasn't the most original with his names >.>)

Edition: Dungeons and Dragons 3.5th Edition, supplimented with the Complete Warriors Handbook for the Swashbuckler class.

Plot: Piracy and banditry has been on the rise as of late across the world, more and more traders and merchants are finding their goods seized and their people - men, women and children - sold off as slaves. The ruler of the Kingdom of Karasan, Saladin, issued a call to all adventurers and warriors far and wide promising vast rewards to any who could uncover what he believed was a deeper purpose beneath the surface.

What came out was a vast tale of political double cross, urban dungeon crawling and so many bluff checks our dice got worn out.

And it was awesome.

Shane Tyree

Sep 14, 2010
Name: Leman Russ
Class: Paladin
Backstory: Was orphaned when his father betrayed the knighthood, and slaughtered everyone in the keep, including his wife and daughter. Father later becomes Death Knight in a bid for power, son is the only person that can harm him because of the conditions of the spell.
Edition: 2nd -3.5
Plot: Defeat evil army, redeem family name, kill Father, save the kingdom.

Coliumbos

Mar 15, 2010
Might I perhaps suggest pretty much the whole set of options for Dragon Quest, that D&D starter thing with a sort of sandbox dungeon map?

Or possibly just scream 'pregen characters' and demo guys, such as the now dead Regdar. May his broadsword always swing well and true.

b15h4m0n

Sep 7, 2010
Name: Feanor Telcontar
Race: Elf
Class: Wizard
Backstory: Born to noble family of landowners in human kingdom and educated by his uncle in magic. Older of two brothers that survived anti-elvish peasant uprising led by fanatical ex-paladin and therefore truly obsessed by dreams of reclaiming the lost castle and family prestige by arcane power.
Campaign: Homemade in Greyhawkish setting.
Edition: 3.0
Plot: Really the whole plot was just about saving the world from some demons that were swarming through some dimensional gates. The only twist was that the whole party was made of evil characters (including mine), which made it more survivalistic than heroic. What made it so special for me was making up that special 'wanna-be-evil-overlord' attitude my character displayed during the campaign, mainly in the form of a diary (I still have it somewhere). Also that his backstory was heavily used by the GM to develop a second, simultaneous plot about him trying to turn himself into a lich. It was also my highest-leveled char so far (10th lvl, I think - we die often).

Fortuan

Oct 14, 2008
Name: Fortuan Galleyborn
Class: Rogue/Theif
Backstory: Orphaned as child by a band of 'elves' slaying his not so morally bound partents (pirates). Terrified of evles (doesn't show it except by killing them) unless they REALLY prove trustworthy.
Edition: 2, 3, 3.5 and 4
Plot: Various
Greatest Accomplishment: Convincing an Ogre (through diplomacy) that the magical beef jerky would make him smarter and more powerful by the power to connivce people do what ever he wanted them to do, so that the ogre would open the large door for them... he he he

Jhereg42

Apr 11, 2008
Name: Tormar Darkheart
Race: Teifling
Class: Thief/Mage
Backstory: This was my "training" character for new GMs. My little brother and his friend Drew wanted to play D&D and Drew wanted me to teach him how to be a DM. I had already run a short campaign as a demo for them, so I created Darkheart as an object (and IMHO important) lesson for him about giving players too much leeway within the rules. Having a 4/3 thief Mage take over a planscape faction and create a nasty artifact using scrolls and a slave he forcably taught magic to drain the poor dude's constitution score(for the Permanency spells) was nasty, but worth it in the end. To be fair, I let the GM kill the character at the end game and them went over where things went wrong, but Darkheart holds a special place in my heart. He was fun to play, but he helped teach a kid how to be a great DM. Drew told me a few years ago he still has the character sheet in his folders with a big red KIA writen on it.
Edition: 2nd Planescape
Plot: In the end, he was a wicked sacrifice to a noble cause.

Dojofreak1181

Jan 26, 2010
Name: Chad of the RedShirt

Race: Half-Giant

Class: Barbarian

Backstory: An slave turned gladiator, after one too many war-hammers to the face, Chad was released to pursue a wandering, spiritual quest of cosmic understanding using the complex and transcendent medium of Hitting Things. Dude.

Campaign: DarkSun

Edition: 4th

Plot: Whoa ... that's like ... totally heavy Broheim.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Name: Telon
Race: Started as a half-elf, but got complicated
Class: Wizard/Archmage
Backstory: A non-special mage that was caught in some pretty awesome events.
Edition: D&D3.5
Plot: Freeing a demonslave, and breaking a magecircle.

Reason I will remember: It's a character I played with my girlfriend as a GM just as she was starting to be introduced to tabletop roleplaying some years back. For some reason this character stuck, and we played for a long long time. So long in fact that Telon managed to hitch up with some demon-chick, have some offspring, their offspring to grow up, and me rolling a child of theirs for a 2nd generation characer in the same play. It lasted for several years and many many nights of fun.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Name: Abhorrin Grottog
Class: Druid/Master of Many Forms
Backstory: A poor miner who fell in love with a noble girl, he was framed for her accidental death at the hands of a jealous rival. He escaped his mountain town and fled into the swampy, fetid jungles that covered it's base. Assuming that the jungle would finish him in no time, the dwarves left him to his fate. Abhorrin survived on frogs and rats that he could catch in his putrid surroundings, becoming twisted and corrupted by the land. Eventually, a lizardfolk Druid watched him and saw what he had become, and the reptile decided that his connection to the swamp was justification for the Druidic Ritual. Afterwards, he honed his skills in the swamp for years, gaining is greatest friend and ally, a Giant Constrictor named Veshnish, and eventually wiping out the entire dwarven town he used to call his home.
Campaign: Amalgomated D&D
Plot: As a worshipper of Nerull, Abhorrin would stalk the streets of large cities setting traps of webs and vines in alleyways. After capturing a victim and paralyzing or otherwise incapacitating them with poisons of his own crafting, he would take them to the forests outside of town, bind them to a stump, and sacrifice their still living bodies to his god...only after the anesthetic effects of their poison had worn off of course. Nerull loves the tortured screams of his victims.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
Name: Takkar Moonbreaker
Race: Not an elf, that's for bloody sure.
Class: Mage, but with all his points into swords and other manly skills (A glorious death!)
Backstory: Raised as a mage, by mages, he always though magic was too much effort when just stabbing someone would work much better. So he struck out on his own to Calradia some fantasy land.
Campaign: Whatever I happen to be playing at the moment, I'm just lazy.
Edition: Edition? He's not just in D&D, he's in every RPG I play. Usually serves to screw the hell out of the game.
Plot: Fulfilling his overwhelming desire to stab things.

Horus Lupercal

Mar 17, 2010
Name:Nalshezzar
Race:Shade
Class:Sorcerer/shadow mage
Backstory: A sorcerer from the city of Shade, sent out to the wider world of faerun to sow chaos, and prepare the way for shade takeovers of regions. His love for general chaos and destruction makes him perfect for the job. Also he is a master at manipulation.
Campaign: 3.5 and 4 (Forgotten Realms)
Edition: 3.5 and 4
Plot: Started a mercenary company with the secret agenda of subverting local governments, gathering followers to his cause.
He and his companion mercenaries takes on seemingly "good" jobs, but under the surface of all their good deeds they pave the way for the shades to take over the region. They have subverted and manipulated 2 cities at this point, and is now going for the regions government.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
That's a tough one considering how many of those i made.

For sake of the topic i'll go with my silly character tho.

Name: Lady Amanda Astoria Muller-Bannenhoff The Third (she always used to introduce herself to other's like that and was really annoyed when someone omitted even a single part of it)

Race: Pureblood human

Class: Sorceress

Backstory: Despite the titles and overly long name Amanda was actually simple peasant girl that figured nobles have it easier so she decided to become one, or at least convince everyone else she was one. Her natural affiliation to magic power's, by many seen as a gift in her case couldn't really be called a talent. Her attempts at controlling the forces were rather unpredictable and at some point resulted in her burning down half of her home village by mistake. Banished, she left into the big unsuspecting world.

Plot: Several plots based on Planescape franchise that used to be supported by Wizards Of The Coast back then, she was a comic relief character in otherwise pretty serious adventures. Completely useless in combat because every time she would propose casting a spell some other team member had to knock her out in fear for their own lives, especially after one incident when she summoned some lower planes demons while trying to conjure some water. She had charm and natural wits about her however, so out of battle she was doing most of conversations confusing everyone with her obliviousness, innocence and fake aristocratic accent.