Cryptic Delays Champions Online

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Cryptic Delays Champions Online

If you were hoping for Champions Online to be your summertime MMOG of choice, prepare to be disappointed. Cryptic Studios is changing the game's release from July to September.

Summer vacation brings oodles of free time that could be spent traveling to interesting places or lounging at the nearby beach, but everyone knows summers are best spent inside your room, with the windows closed and the blinds shut, playing MMOGs. This year, Champions Online looked to be one of the prime picks for being antisocial during the most social of seasons, but alas, you might just have to go outside this summer, because Champions Online is not coming out [http://champions-online.com/node/47780] until autumn.

Less than a month ago, Cryptic announced that its superhero-powered game was on track for a July 14th release, but now the studio has revealed that the game has been pushed back to September 1. The delay, Cryptic explained, is the result of critical feedback the studio received from its beta testers.

"Through our constant dialogue with our vocal and supportive community of beta tesers, we quickly realized that in order to implement certain features that we all considered important the development of Champions Online would require more time," executive producer Bill Roper said. "So that's what we're going to give it."

Roper emphasized that "it is critically important for an MMO to be as good as it possibly can be at launch," which is certainly true for any new game in the crowded MMOG space.

So what does this mean for us? Cryptic says "more beta play time right now and a better, more polished game at launch." It also means we might actually have to go see other people in real life between now and September. I know, it's scary. There's sunlight out there. And girls.

iJosh

Nov 21, 2007
This game looks pretty sweet. I'd wait till its down like he said ^^

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Yay! From what I've heard, a couple months more polish would be just the ticket for this game. I'm glad they did this. Good for Cryptic - it's hard to push a release date.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
Keane Ng said:
It also means we might actually have to go see other people in real life between now and September. I know, it's scary. There's sunlight out there. And girls.
*screams and runs away*

Sacell

May 17, 2009
Yes, that a good thing. Better to get all the bugs and error off still waiting on that Beta e-mail. lol

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Keane Ng said:
Less than a month ago, Cryptic announced that its superhero-powered game was on track for a July 14th release, but now the studio has revealed that the game has been pushed back to September 1. The delay, Cryptic explained, is the result of critical feedback the studio received from its beta testers.

"Through our constant dialogue with our vocal and supportive community of beta tesers, we quickly realized that in order to implement certain features that we all considered important the development of Champions Online would require more time," executive producer Bill Roper said. "So that's what we're going to give it."

Roper emphasized that "it is critically important for an MMO to be as good as it possibly can be at launch," which is certainly true for any new game in the crowded MMOG space.

This my freinds, makes me feel warm inside. I remember how NOT doing this doomed Hellgate. The fact they listened to their Beta Testers makes me feel much better about this game.