Rumor: Odin Sphere and Muramasa Getting Foxier in HD

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Rumor: Odin Sphere and Muramasa Getting Foxier in HD

Vanillaware's beautiful action-RPGs released on the PS2 and Wii may be coming to XBLA and PSN in high-definition.

Japanese developer Vanillaware is known for one major aspect of its games: gorgeous 2D sprite-based graphics. The company has never released any of its titles on a console that supports high-definition (unless you count the Wii's 480p upgrade), but games like the PlayStation 2's Muramasa: The Demon Blade [http://www.amazon.com/Odin-Sphere-Playstation-2/dp/B000IONGU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1284736438&sr=8-1] have dazzled the eyes of players anyway. According to rumors, those dazzling games could become even more dazzling-er sometime in the future in HD.

Sources have told 1up that Vanillaware is in the process of porting Odin Sphere and Muramasa for HD release. No specific console was named, but the ports are said to be downloadable, meaning that Xbox Live Arcade and the PlayStation Network are really the only places for them to logically go.

Both games have quirks but are still enjoyable for action-RPG fans. They're noticeably Japanese, with Odin Sphere requiring that players take breaks in-between battles with the gods of Valhalla to grow fruit and sheep (yes, I said sheep) that restore health. Muramasa puts players in the roles of two different blade-wielding protagonists that must forge more than 100 different katana.

The detailed character designs for the two games should look amazing in HD. Their art was reportedly developed in HD first and downgraded for release on the PS2 and Wii, so porting may not be as much of a challenge as it was for Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87545-Street-Fighter-II-Turbo-HD-Remix-Finally-Dated]. Though the rumor is said to be coming from multiple sources, it's not officially confirmed yet, but keep an eye out.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/report-muramasa-odin-sphere-high-definition]

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
cool, but, how about the prequel

you know, the Saturn/japan exclusive Princess Crown

that game could totally use a HD facelift and a, well, translation

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
Sigh, if they are going to be ported and download only, might as well bring them to the PC. Just put them on Steam and watch the money roll in.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, thats something at least - Ive not played it myself but I have heard its pretty fun.

Well, if its on XBLA, im down

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Couldn't get into Odin Sphere. The controls just weren't smooth enough.

Beautiful soundtrack by Basiscape though.

Zero=Interrupt

Nov 9, 2009
You should give it another go, Terramax; aside for the level-up-by-eating system (which honestly, doesn't take that much tine) it's REALLY good.

Muramasa in HD on my PS3? Yes PLEASE!

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
It makes sense that it is coming to those platforms, however what doesn't make sense is that the PC is getting cast aside again, which is bullshit.

Doesn't matter to me anyway, I'm getting the Wii version really soon.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Sounds interesting. I heard only good stuff about Odin Sphere. Now i only need a better TV.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I fucken hope this is true, Ive loved all their games so far and getting to play odins sphere again would be awesome, especially in hd, now we just need grim grimour and I can get the whole collection again

Garden Ninja

Jun 8, 2010
Terramax said:

Same, but replace "not smooth enough" with "kinda broken". Who thought it was a good idea to put block and attack on the same button? I really wanted to like it. The setting was cool, and the sprites were gorgeous. However, considering it was such a combat heavy game, kind of hard, and supposedly in the are of 60 hours long, I don't get how that control scheme made it past QA.

Still, it's been one of those game I've been meaning to revisit, so I'll keep an eye on this.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Garden Ninja said:
Terramax said:

Same, but replace "not smooth enough" with "kinda broken". Who thought it was a good idea to put block and attack on the same button? I really wanted to like it. The setting was cool, and the sprites were gorgeous. However, considering it was such a combat heavy game, kind of hard, and supposedly in the are of 60 hours long, I don't get how that control scheme made it past QA.

Still, it's been one of those game I've been meaning to revisit, so I'll keep an eye on this.
Yeah, you hit the nail on the head there.

Valiard

Feb 26, 2009
Why were you trying to block? Evasions a much better tactic imo and with all the potions you can brew...sigh

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
Well if they do this, I wont have to worry about wearing out my poor block from all the constant replay.

As for the PC, hey it COULD happen; Odin Sphere suffers from the same curse as okami (great game/LOW sales) so a whole new demographic couldn't hurt it at all.