Kinect Will Be the "Biggest Platform Launch Ever," Says Microsoft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Kinect Will Be the "Biggest Platform Launch Ever," Says Microsoft

Kinect [http://www.microsoft.com/games/] will be "the biggest launch we've ever seen."

Sometimes, when you're selling stuff, you have to embellish things a little bit. I've done it so often over the course of a long and soul-deadening retail career that I have moments when I can actually feel my grip on reality slipping away, like sand pouring through my open fingers. And while I certainly don't mean to suggest that Spencer is necessarily telling a whopper, I do think that the man's optimism is admirable.

"Retailers are telling us from their buzz and what they hear from people walking the store asking questions that this is going to be the biggest consumer home electronics launch of this year, and they're gearing up towards that," Spencer said in an interview with Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-17-microsofts-phil-spencer-interview]. "Given all the momentum that I see and the way we're investing, I'll bet this is the biggest platform launch ever."

"We have 15 launch games - few consoles have shipped with 15 launch games," he said. "And there are some things we can take advantage of - the fact the 360 is a platform people know, so the technology involved in putting a game on the platform, connecting to Live - those are things that developers have become adept at."

Spencer said that Microsoft should be able to move "at least" the three million Kinect units predicted [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103519-Microsoft-Predicts-3-Million-Kinect-Sales-Over-the-Holidays] to sell over the holidays. "I don't want to get ahead of ourselves," he added, "but we're invested and we expect, yeah, that this will be the biggest launch we've ever seen."

Kinect hits store shelves on November 4 in North America and November 10 in Europe.

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Well, the Wii had a big launch, right? And this console, like, has NO controllers! That's INFINITELY more immersive! Which means this will have an INFINITELY larger launch!

z3rostr1fe

Aug 14, 2009
Microsoft Kinect should be called "Microsoft Hype"... It's full of it, so full that the Hype surpasses the capabilities of Kinect. *retarded clap*

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Okay either everyone at Microsoft is delusional or people really are preordering the hell out of this thing.

I might owe Kudo Tsunoda an apology for my last comment about him being a weird sunglasses wearing fool.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Again, they don't read what the consumers are saying, are they? "Biggest console launch ever" is a very serious statement, and they are basically trying my make people say "I wanna be in on the biggest console launch ever! Effectively MAKING the biggest console launch through sheep rather than through people actually wanting the equipment

For.I.Am.Mad

May 8, 2010
I don't know. When I saw the Sonic Riders demo, honestly, I thought it was pretty cool. Kids will love it.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
mjc0961 said:
Okay either everyone at Microsoft is delusional or people really are preordering the hell out of this thing.

I might owe Kudo Tsunoda an apology for my last comment about him being a weird sunglasses wearing fool.
Well Kudo is still somewhat of a weird, sunglasses-wearing fool regardless of how well the thing sells. :p

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
That mutha-trucka is rocking the ganja...

I mean seriously...as a company, do Microsoft really want to be employing people with such a tenuous grip on reality?

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
The love the contrast of views from Sony and Microsfot on their motion game launchs.

Sony: Move is not a pre-order product.

Microsoft: Kinect is going to be the greatest thing EVAR!

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Well considering barely anyone fucking wants it and it can only manage on-rails it'll die quickly.

You can come up with all sorts of crazy ideas but it doesn't mean they're actually good. No controllers sound good on paper and will probably sound good on ads, but in reality it makes for shit games.

Dragonforce525

Sep 13, 2009
Well seeing as I quite literally know no one who thinks Kinect is a good idea and have seen maybe 5% of people on the subject of Kinect on the internet praising it, I'm gonna go ahead and say they're lying.

SpaceMedarotterX

Jun 24, 2010
okay, no. Just... no! Are you shitting me Microsoft? did you actually say that seriously, someone get me a glass of water so I can do a spit take. You wanna know why there hyping this ***** up? because they put all there eggs in this one basket, if it fails they have nothing left to give people. See if Move fails, Sony still has like a billion other games that aren't related to move they can sell you. If Motion Plus failed you had plenty of games that didn't use it on the Wii. But Kinect? if Kinect fails that new Steel Battalion and PDO wont mean shit because that's all you can play it on!

shirin238

Aug 19, 2008
Not one person in my friend circle talks about the kinect. If I would talk to them about it I doubht they will know what I mean.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I'd like an ounce of whatever he's smoking. I speak to a lot of gamers, and not ONE of them has said they're interested in Kinect. Not a single one. You're trying to appeal to the Wii crowd on a hardcore platform. That's ass backwards.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I dont want one, none of my friends want one, family doesnt want one. Me thinks that this guy is FAR too much of an optimist.

CK76

Sep 25, 2009
I admit, I am interested to see if this comes close to Microsoft lofty expectations.