U.S. Air Force Wants Soldiers to Be Like Batman

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
U.S. Air Force Wants Soldiers to Be Like Batman

A program started by the U.S. Air Force focuses on making soldiers as versatile as the caped crusader.

Batman is awesome, but only because he's so smart. He figures out exactly what he'll need in the field and stuffs in all into his Batsuit and utility belt. This is exactly what inspired the U.S. Air Force's "BATMAN" program, which aims to develop new equipment so that soldiers are as capable as Batman himself.

BATMAN stands for Battlefield Air Targeting Man-Aided kNowledge. Sure, it cheats, but who's really going to criticize the Air Force when it's running a program called BATMAN? BATMAN program engineer Reggie Daniels says: "[Batman's] devices allow him to have an advantage. That is what we're trying to do."

The goal of BATMAN is to make soldiers "lighter, smarter, and deadlier." Where a soldier on today's battle field might have to lug 160 pounds of equipment around, Batman is seemingly able to carry even more gadgetry without the weight. The Air Force says this weight is a burden, and hopes to make soldiers more able to complete their missions with less burden through BATMAN.

The program uses the "human chassis" as its Batsuit, with engineers focusing on how to make it more agile by moving equipment to less straining areas of the body. BATMAN is pioneering the use of chest mounted computers and speech recognition, in addition to batteries that get lighter as they're used.

The most Bat-like object is the "Bat Hook," the nickname used for the Remote Auxiliary Power System developed by Defense Research Associates that was also inspired by Batman. DRA's lead test engineer recalls thinking: "You know what would be really cool? Something like what Batman has on his belt that he can take out and wing it up to a power line and get power." The Remote Auxiliary Power System has a hook that can be thrown onto power lines, with a razor inside that will cut tap into them. Power can then be siphoned from the hook through a wire that will recharge a soldier's devices, if necessary.

Future developments are still underway in the BATMAN program, such as a light-based communications system that can be used instead of wiring. Batman's array of gadgetry always seemed like it was impossible for anyone but billionaire Bruce Wayne to create, but the Air Force is pretty rich too.

Source: Tech News Daily [http://www.technewsdaily.com/air-force-invests-in-batman-technologies-for-special-forces-soldiers-1206/]

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
That sounds really cool, but I think I'd be able to take this article a lot more seriously if Adam West wasn't standing next to it hamming things up.

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
I have admit, it would be pretty awesome if the military was comprised entirely of thousands of Adam Wests.

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
I'm very interested as to how these people's meetings go...

I mean do they just bring in there childhood comics, or something?

Either way I'm liking their style.

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
If this really happens, then war is about to get way more awesome.

Also, I see some truly awesome videogames taking inspiration from this, I mean, Batman as a soldier, it's like COD meets Arkham Asylum.... the mind boggles.

Silent observer

Jun 18, 2009
All I can think of now is 'Quickly robin, fetch the bat-shark-repellent-spray!' God damn that was a funny movie.

OT: This is pretty cool - who knows, maybe one day they'll go commercial with it :D

Raven's Nest

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2009
My first thoughts were... "But batman doesn't use guns or shoot people!?"

But kudos to the army chiefs for not being afraid to admit that a comic book character is inspiring front-line equipment technology. And the power whip sounds like a useful tool which will undoubtedly lead to some utterly retarded ideas... "Hey I wonder if I can charge my iphone off this 20,000 volt powerline?" ZZZZZZAPPP! *soldier sizzles*

Chainsauce

Aug 14, 2010
That is awesome!

Hopefully some other country will "design" their soldiers like The Joker...well a guy can dream, can't he?

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
that is so cool...anyone up to joining the US Air Force?...might be easier if i was American but screw it...the Air Force takes today's WIN...

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
I can see it now, thousand of Batmans being deployed into Afghanistan.

Tell ya summit, Taliban won't know what hit them...I do have a question though...

Will they all get Batmobiles Batjets, and Batsubs??

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
The only way to fight that kind of force is if all terrorists turn into Jokers.
This isn't really surprising. A lot of today's technology was originally inspired by Star Trek. The touch screen, the photocell doors, cell phones etc.