Astonishingly Divine BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer Out

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Astonishingly Divine BioShock Infinite Gameplay Trailer Out

The day is finally here: BioShock Infinite's full 10-minute gameplay trailer has been released to the world.

[video=2028]

Forget the released [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Infinite-Xbox-360/dp/B003O6EB70/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285089780&sr=8-9] this weekend, it's nothing compared to the real thing. Just released today, the 10-minute masterpiece shows players exactly what they'll contend with in the floating city of Columbia.

BioShock Infinite is undeniably BioShock [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-Playstation-3/dp/B001B1W3GG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285089780&sr=8-1]. The same feeling I got when being lowered into the subterranean depths of Rapture is what I felt in the first 30 seconds of this trailer. However, Columbia appears to be far from a Rapture clone.

I mean, come on, the trailer opens up with a steampunk horse hauling a hovercart. Then a strange woman is seen sweeping near a massive inferno. And once the main character encounters a glowing-eyed politician, it only gets better.

After diving through the air on Columbia's rollercoaster-like sky rails, the game's hero (Booker DeWitt) takes refuge from an attacking cannon in a bar. The bar's inhabitants don't immediately attack, aside from one salty dog that decides to unload a shotgun on DeWitt, which he telekinetically takes from the attacker and unloads in his face before acquiring it as a new weapon. This angers the entire bar, and perhaps the entire floating platform. In BioShock, players had multiple enemies coming at them at once, but Infinite brings overwhelming waves of enemies on the level of a game like Resident Evil 5 [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-5-Xbox-360/dp/B000ZK6950/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285089794&sr=8-2], and they're all armed.

To contend with these forces, the trailer shows off new mechanics for the mixing of powers (which can apparently be ingested). Whereas in BioShock players could shoot bolts of lightning into pools of water to shock anyone standing in them, this trailer shows DeWitt shocking an entire storm cloud and zapping a mass of enemies. Telekinesis also plays a huge role, with DeWitt stopping a cannon shell in mid-air and throwing other various objects around. These powers will evidently be used in-tandem with Elizabeth's, the character DeWitt has been sent to rescue. To me, this hints towards a possible co-op mode, but at the least we know that multiple elemental attacks will be combined throughout the game even if Elizabeth remains an NPC.

And finally, we have Infinite's Big Daddy counterpart, now called the Handyman. Which is nothing compared to a mysterious dark armored beast with mechanical wings that who knows what it'll take to beat. In other words, Infinite is similar to BioShock, but expanded in many ways, and this we know from a relatively short, partially scripted gameplay trailer. Yeah, I'm looking forward to this one, big time.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Saw this about an hour ago; pretty sure it knocked my personal hype meter up to 11. Absolutely stunning, and I can't wait for it to release in 2012.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
That looks unbelievable. I'm very impressed. If even half of the stuff in there is legitimately gameplay movement, I'll be a very happy camper. I love the part where he rides on that roller-coaster thing. That was so cool.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
That... was... AMAZING!

When's the release date!

SovietSecrets

iDrink, iSmoke, iPill
Nov 16, 2008
I loved every moment of that. Looks pretty damn amazing, can't wait for the end of the world now to play this.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
I can't watch YT at work, I'll watch it when I get home, but from what you say, seems better than expected.

MarsProbe

Circuitboard Seahorse
Dec 13, 2008
Damn! I actually don't know what to say after watching that!

All very exciting, hopefully 2012 comes along quickly so I can commence launching large fireballs covered in kitchen utensils at my enemies...:)

Those skyrails look like a blast as well!

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Oh boy oh boy oh boy I swear if I see Rick Astley's face I will go out an murder 50 kittens.

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
Holy crap that looks awesome. Watching that trailer shifts Bioshock Infinite firmly into the "games in development that I actually care about" category, that's for damn certain.

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
That was surprisingly good, and it seems they're keeping the depressing feeling of the first Bioshock.

Impressive.

Also, was it me or was the enemy at the end literally a flying Big Daddy? Cause it looked like it had a glowing helmet.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
Looks like every second of this is scripted which is fine but won't represent gameplay for the most part (unless it's very short, that is).

But is it just me or has this YouTube video the worst quality ever? It almost gives me headaches @.@

Edit:
Oh and why the fuck do they release a gameplay trailer without interface... I have no words for that :/

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Looks like they have moved away from a plot where your character is a complete mystery and focused mainly on the girl. I'm glad they kept the "plasmid" type things although they look even freakier this time.

According to Ken Levine the moral choices are mainly subtle ones such as allowing the girl to use her powers all the time at the expense of her health.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
I think you linked to the wrong trailer, Tom. Isn't this supposed to be for a new game?

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Christ I was looking forward to not spending all my money next year, portal 2, deus ex, now this.