Rebooted Godzilla Might Trample Theaters in 2012

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Rebooted Godzilla Might Trample Theaters in 2012

Godzilla is coming back to theaters, and this time he'll be fighting other monsters instead of trying to eat Matthew Broderick.

I grew up on Godzilla films, which were big dumb fun for a kid who has yet to turn ten. Needless to say, <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Godzilla-Matthew-Broderick/dp/0767817478/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285171233&sr=8-1>Sony's 1998 movie was a pretty big letdown and I haven't exactly been looking forward to a sequel or a remake. However, details of a reboot movie have slowly been surfacing over the past year, and a new interview with the movie's producer has revealed that his team is trying to go back to basics with the project.

At tis week's 3D Summit, YouTube user Zennie 62 got to chat with Godzilla producer Brian Rogers, who was surprisingly forthcoming about many of the film's details. You can watch the entire interview here, but these are some of the highlights:

? There's no official release date, but Rogers is hoping the movie will come out in 2012.
? The movie is being planned for IMAX 3D.
? This won't be a sequel to the 1998 film, instead it'll be a complete reboot paying tribute to the original Godzilla.
? The movie will include a "monster or monsters that Godzilla will fight" because not doing this doesn't follow "the spirit of the character."
? Rubber suits won't be making an appearance, as this Godzilla will be fully CGI.

Based on this information, it sounds like the new movie could actually be a blast. Granted, as long as the production team watches the 1998 movie under the "Don't Do Any of This" pretense, whatever they put together could only be an improvement.

Source: <a href=http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Godzilla-Will-Face-Other-Monsters-In-The-New-Reboot-20754.html>Cinema Blend

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Why has the entire world started to, "reboot," all the franchises. Nightmare on Elm Street rebooted. Friday the Thirteenth, rebooted. Can't we just come up with something original?!

Hawk of Battle

Feb 28, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
Why has the entire world started to, "reboot," all the franchises. Nightmare on Elm Street rebooted. Friday the Thirteenth, rebooted. Can't we just come up with something original?!
No.

Any further questions?

Seekster

May 28, 2008
I heard one rumor that they are considering Michael Bay to direct this (among others).

In any case I am psyched to have the big guy back on the screen and this time in America and in CGI. I wonder if they will get Godzilla to fight a Toho monster like maybe Ghidorah or something or just make up a new monster for him to fight. Part of me wants it to be a Toho monster but Godzilla could have a rematch with Bambi and it would be cool.

Snowden's Secret

Apr 4, 2010
Ohhh, but waiting to see whether Matthew Broderick gets eaten was the best part! As were the rubber suits!

But yeah, this whole process of rebooting old movies or movie franchises is getting rather tiresome. Still, could be worth watching.

Sep 14, 2009
this sounds awesome. i always thought the godzilla movies were cheesy as heck as a kid but this sounds awesome and could be really badass with cgi

Jaebird

Aug 19, 2008
If it has Godzilla fighting either King Ghidorah or Mechagodzilla in it, then I will definitely go see it in theaters. As it stands now, I'll keep an eye on this and cautiously hope they follow through in keeping the spirit of Godzilla films of old.

I do know that whatever they'll put out will not surpass the awesome that is Godzilla: Final Wars.

BlueHighwind

Jan 24, 2010
I was hoping this was going to be another Japanese Godzilla film. Oh well. If this new movie has Godzilla destroying a city and beating another monster up, then it will be just fine. Maybe an American remake of "Godzilla 2000" or something with that same mindset.

lomylithruldor

Aug 10, 2009
JaymesFogarty said:
An apocalypse always has foreshadowing so I guess that in 2012, the world will be rebooted! RUN!

OT: Always loved the Japanese Godzillas. I hope they'll do it right this time.