Capcom Teams Up With JRPG Studio for "Truly Interesting Things"

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Capcom Teams Up With JRPG Studio for "Truly Interesting Things"

Capcom has joined forces with JRPG and Professor Layton developer Level-5 for an "interesting" project.

Who doesn't Capcom team-up with nowadays? After unveiling multiple collaborations at this year's Tokyo Game Show with studios such as Ninja Theory (Asura's Wrath [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103525-TGS-10-Devil-May-Cry-Getting-Reboot-Face-Lift]), and From Software (Steel Battalion Kinect), it's also been revealed that the company has something secret in the works with Level-5.

Level-5 is known for the Dragon Quest IX [http://www.amazon.com/Professor-Layton-Unwound-Future-Nintendo-DS/dp/B003O6E7DI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285173216&sr=8-1-spell].

A business information website recently posted an interview with Capcom's Keiji Inafune and Level-5's Akihiro Hino where the two confirm rumors that they're in cahoots, and it was instigated by Capcom. Inafune said: "This rumor is true. Right now, the two of us, with our staff, are working together on some truly interesting things. Even though Mr. Hino is younger, he's someone I respect. I wanted to try working with him, so I contacted him."

That's all we know, but I have three completely valid predictions about where this collaboration could go, aside from a brand new IP. First, Capcom's JRPG series Breath of Fire has been absent since Mega Man Legends [http://www.amazon.com/Breath-Fire-Dragon-Quarter-Playstation-2/dp/B00007KQC1/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1285173574&sr=8-8] revival has been rumored lately, and Level-5 would likely do a great job with that. But the most likely of possibilities would be, you guessed it, Street Fighter vs. Professor Layton. After all, a true gentleman leaves no puzzle unsolved, and no fight unfinished.

Source: Andriasang [http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/22/capcom_level5_team_up/]

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Breath of Fire.

I need Breath of Fire again.

Also, look out Layton and Luke! A giant woman is behind you! I'm sorry that the hair confused me!

*goes to play Diabolical Box again to try and remember who she is*

As for your idea on Street Fighter Vs Professor Layton:

Heart of Darkness

The final days of His Trolliness
Jul 1, 2009
I would totally buy Street Fighter vs. Professor Layton. I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Professor. Layton. Swordfight. FUCK YES.

EDIT:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Also, look out Layton and Luke! A giant woman is behind you!
That's not a woman. That's the Duke (or something) of the game's third area.

EDIT2: Unless you're talking about the train, in which case it's not a woman; it's a train.

Matt K

Sep 18, 2010
@ Onyx: That's a man.

SF vs. Layton would be Epic but then again Layton rules all. And as seen in the Diabolic Box The Professor is adept at sword fighting.

Fensfield

Nov 4, 2009
MegaMan Legends? Really?

Okay now I'm excited, about that if nothing else; I've been wondering how the hell they were going to get down from Elysium for years.

Roll's Mum must be seriously hungry by now.

CrankyStorming

Mar 8, 2010
That just leaves Konami as the last major Japanese studio Level 5 aren't working with. Hopefully it doesn't mean we have to wait another 5 years for Dragon Quest 10.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well - Certainly two companies good at what they do. Lets hope its epic!

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
I got 5 bucks saying that the project is gonna be something not mentioned here, but everyone is gonna feel stupid for not thinking of it.

Fruitloops89

Feb 20, 2009
Breath of Fire revival
Dark Cloud 3
Megaman Legends 3

Those are what my hopes are for for this team up, if they are to dust off some older series. Something brand new is also more than welcome. This news pleases me.

nohorsetown

Dec 8, 2007
Yeah, I really hope it's Breath of Fire. That is one damn good series. 2, 3, and 4 are some of the best RPGs around, and I actually enjoyed Dragon Quarter for what it was. They gotta go back to the 3/4 style of game, tho, and build from there. Please let it be Breath of Fire, it's been too long..

Remonis

Mar 2, 2010
Breath of Fire, if they do a story a touching as Dragon Quarter I'll be amazed.

Also Megaman Legends wouldn't be looked upon poorly. Because servbots are practically a mascot of the company now.

pretentiousname01

Sep 30, 2009
Lazarus Long said:
Two words and one initialism:
Resident.
Evil.
RPG.

That is all.
NO thanks, I'd hate to see what kind of aweful garbage they would try to feed us as a storyline.

In other news I'd be all over a good megaman or street fighter rpg.

Or even something boring like remaking breath of fire