Team Fortress 2 Mod Pits Entire Team Against a Single Australian

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Team Fortress 2 Mod Pits Entire Team Against a Single Australian

A whole team fighting a single man might not sound very fair, but when that man is the most powerful Australian in the world, you start to feel sorry for the team.

A Team Fortress 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Team-Fortress-2-Pc/dp/B00140S21O/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285353137&sr=8-1] modder has created a mod where one player takes on the role of Saxton Hale and everybody else on the server tries to kill him. It might seem like an unfair match, but the solo player has thousands of hit points and Hale's powerful fists, which is usually enough to stack the odds in Hale's favor.

If you're familiar with backstory of TF2, the name Saxton Hale will probably already have you quaking in your boots. But not everyone keeps up with the proprietors of fictional arms companies, so for those who don't know, Saxton Hale is the head of Mann Co., the supplier of many of the weapons used in TF2 matches. Hale eats steak for breakfast, kills crowds of hippies with his bare hands, and has his own comic which is supposedly so exciting; it will stop a reader's heart for five whole seconds.

The mod uses a custom model of Saxton Hale, and places it over an invisible soldier model. Eagle-eyed viewers will spot that when Hale kills a person, it shows the soldier's shovel as the weapon that was used. Hale is also armed with a super jump, so there's no part of the map he can't get to and he can't be taken down by soldiers rocket jumping out of his reach. The mod uses the "Arena" game mode, meaning that there's no respawning once you've been taken out. Presumably, the Red Team - Hale makes up the entirety of the Blue team - can win by capturing the control point, but they tend to all be dead before they get a chance.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5645732/i-like-this-team-fortress-2-mods-pepper-sauce]

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Fantastic I do love the little bits of backstory given to a game with no real story or reason, and since it's Valve the story is fantastic.

I heartily approve of this mod.

Count Igor

May 5, 2010
One word: A.

That's what drew me in.

Actually, I came in, thinking (For some reason) that there was a player so good he could take on whole teams of people, and I got rather jelous (As I'm pretty crap).
Then I read the first line or two, and I was wondering about the King of Australia (Yes, I know our Queen is their Queen, I just got confused) and why he was playing.

Then I read it all through and it's AWESOME.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
we need to make one for the real most powerful australian, Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw. or make one with steve erwin wher all the other payers are armed with stingrays.

I am so going to hell for that joke.

E-Penguin

Jun 7, 2010
It looks like an awesome mod, but I didn't really like the model, there's something wrong with his face.

Here's a link showing a comic featuring him:

http://www.teamfortress.com/macupdate/comic/

darthotaku said:
we need to make one for the real most powerful australian, Ben "Yahtzee" Crowshaw. or make one with steve erwin wher all the other payers are armed with stingrays.

I am so going to hell for that joke.
He's actually British.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
The only problem I see is that it is too one sided, The Saxton Hale player can kill in one or two hits, has an ungodly amount of health, and can jump to almost any part of the map. Seems like it would be less fun than it actually sounds...

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Hmmm, well it seems to me that just about everyone would want to play as Saxton.

If they were going to do that officially it seems that they are going to need to tweak the balance given that it seems the "team" has the odds stacked against them, rather than it being an even match.

One of the problems I've noticed both in Board Games, and video games is that when you have a game where you have a group of players against one player who has special powers or whatever, everyone wants to be the single guy. I look toward horror games like Blackmoor manor (the one based on the old Chill RPG, I can't remember the name), or even Scotland Yard as examples.