Foundation 9 Stakes Claim as Industry's "Secret Weapon"

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Foundation 9 Stakes Claim as Industry's "Secret Weapon"

The name Foundation 9 might not be well known, but its CEO says that it's one of the most popular developers around.

Forget about the likes of Valve or Bungie, it's apparently Foundation 9 that's the world's biggest independent developer. CEO James North-Hearn says that his company is the "go-to guy" for some of the biggest publishers in the world, even going as far as to call Foundation 9 the industry' "secret weapon."

Foundation 9 is the parent company of six different studios, all of which operate independently, which explains why Foundation 9 isn't a household name among gamers. Foundation 9 studios are responsible for Super Street Fighter 2: HD Remix, the port of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on XBLA and PSN, X-Men Origins: Wolverine [http://www.amazon.com/Silent-Hill-Homecoming-Playstation-3/dp/B00149MEVY/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285342806&sr=8-1].

"Secret weapon" might be a touch on the hyperbolic side, but it's clear that Foundation 9 does a lot of work on a lot of games that people might not be aware of. Whether it's actually the largest independent developer in the world is debatable, however, as it's really six studios operating under a single banner. You strap six PopCaps together, and then we'll see who's biggest.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010-09-24-foundation-9-industrys-secret-weapon]

May 25, 2010
So they're responsible for Homecoming, eh? OK, I'll know to stay away now that I know who they are.

The rest of the games are pretty good, though.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
So they make games that are generally not good in most people's opinions, such as handheld ports and such. In fact, it sounds like most of their games are ports. Why are they proud of that?

Dexiro

Dec 23, 2009
Their 2 best games were a port and a HD remake, neither of which were anything special.

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
Who are these jokers again?

Really, their biggest accompishments are ports and remakes. That does not a secret weapon make.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I wouldn't say there the Secret Weapon.

Out of the games listed i've only play Silent Hill H so they not a big deal to me it's not like i go "Oh Boy! a new Foundation 9 game".

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Seems everyone wants the title right now.

As for secret weapons...yeah

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
till they manage to make something original and make it good, they are more of an industry "*****" then anything else

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
so they have made ports of mediocre console games, remade games with pretty much no changes and released the 2nd worst silent hill game. if they actually were our secret weapon, the industry would be completely fucked.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Isn't the point of a secret weapon that noone, err, knows about it? Hence the "secret"? And how do you turn videogames into a "weapon"? Does this guy plan on using his company to blow up a city or something? I don't understand any of what he just said...

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Flying-Emu said:

"That does not a secret weapon make."

The master is right, it does not make a secret weapon, it just make them the worst porters ever (never liked their ports) but anywhay, good to know who is behind all that stuff.