New Bill & Ted Movie in the Works, Dudes!

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
New Bill & Ted Movie in the Works, Dudes!

Most excellent! Bill & Ted are (eventually) coming back to theaters and the people involved promise it won't suck.

Last week at the Toronto International Film Festival, Keanu Reeves let it slip that a new <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Teds-Most-Excellent-Collection/dp/B00094ARHS/ref=sr_1_11?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285354043&sr=8-11>Bill & Ted movie was in the works. While this was originally believed to be a a joke, MTV has now confirmed that such a project is in development, thanks to an interview with Alex Winter (better known as Bill S. Preston Esq.).

Currently known as Bill & Ted 3, Winter revealed that the the movie's been worked on for quite a while. "We kicked around the idea over the years and had always thought if we could make something that was as kind of genuine in spirit as the originals and without falling prey to kind of retro cynicism or something that was unnecessary, it would be worth doing. Now the cat's out of the bag, and the truth is that, yeah, we have finally hit upon an idea that we think is pretty great."

Of course, details about the movie are few and far-between right now, but it sounds like it might be a fun film. According to Winter, "We don't want to make a cynical 'here's Bill and Ted - you guys are our kids, now YOU guys go be Bill and Ted and the franchise can live for another 25 years!' It's not that. It's a straight up, what's the funniest and most surprising take on where Bill and Ted would be right now if we stopped back in on them? That's what we're doing."

Of course, a noticeable absence from the movie would be George Carlin, who played Rufus. Since no one wants to actually re-cast the character, this is a pretty big obstacle. "We're working our way through it right now," Winter explained. "It's really complicated. He was such a big part of the spirit of the originals, and we've been trying to be clever about making a new one that can handle the Carlin issue. It's actually stopped us in the past - why do it without Rufus? We've been delicate about moving around him."

Since this is all in the early stage of development, there's no planned release date yet. Winter revealed that the script needs to be finished, and then both he and Reeves have to have openings in their schedules. "We would love to not be doing this when we're 60, I'll leave it at that," he joked.

Source: MTV

Thanks to The_root_of_all_evil for the tip!

Jul 22, 2009
Ha this could be good :p

I can't remember whether I watched 1 or 2... whichever with the time machine. Anyway it was a decent film, I'll probably watch this.

NaturalCauses

Sep 2, 2010
AAAAWESOME, DUDE!

[/guitar solo]

I hope it's just as corny and ridiculous as ever. I'd like to see a happy Keanu again, too.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
SirPumpkinLongshanks said:
Why make a sequel? The two films are fine on their own.
I kind of like the idea. The first was fine on its own. The second was kind of like one of the characters had a bad acid trip. I would like to see how they end up becoming the saviors of humanity:making bowling scores way up, and mini-golf scores way down.

First we got to see this fabled Cowboy Bebop movie with Keanu as Spike. If Alex Winter needs work I'm sure he can be in it too. He kind of looks like the anime interpretation of a white guy anyway.

open trap

Feb 26, 2009
Dude if they make a good one tat will be just most excellent, better noit put any pop or rap music in it and keep it metal/rock centered.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Even if this isn't as good as the other two and if it gets Keanu out of his rut and into roles we would more enjoy him in, I call it a win.
But I think it might just be a surprise for everyone.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Skullkid4187 said:
o_O how many years has it been since the crappy sequel?
That wasn't crappy!

Hell, it brought us(I think. I only remember that song from the Sequel) God Gave Rock & Roll to You by Kiss!

OT: Hopefully it doesn't suck!

Avaholic03

May 11, 2009
Something tells me the phone booth is going to be way more out-of-place now that payphones don't really exist anymore. I wonder how they plan on getting around that.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
I...wow. I just realized I don't have those movies. This must be remedied. But, on topic, without Rufus it would just feel... The best I've got is that feeling when a group of friends get together after going their separate ways, but one member isn't there, because he died tragically, or something. Like, everyone can still have lots of fun, but there's gonna be those moments where the sound of a witty joke isn't being heard, even though everyone knows what should have been in that silence, and no one can say anything for a few minutes.

...We Miss you, Carlin. May you forever entertain the worms with your corpse.