Ubisoft Started, Scrapped Modern-Day Prince of Persia

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Ubisoft Started, Scrapped Modern-Day Prince of Persia

At the dawn of this console generation, Ubisoft had been working on a Prince of Persia game set in the modern day - but scrapped it before it was ever announced.

The Prince of Persia series had Prince of Persia [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/183-Prince-of-Persia-Retrospective] (2008) had a more fantastic feel to it, Ubisoft had toyed with another setting for the Prince: the present day.

Speaking with Xbox 360 World, former Ubisoft artist Jonathan Jacques-Belletête - currently the Art Director at Eidos for Deus Ex: Human Revolution [http://www.amazon.com/Deus-Ex-Human-Revolution-Pc/dp/B002I0HKRQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1285603732&sr=1-1] - said that Ubisoft had originally planned to start the Assassin's Creed franchise on the PS2 and Xbox. After that original Creed was canceled, "[Ubisoft] wanted a spin off for Prince of Persia. We had some awesome ideas with that too ... in contemporary time."

According to Jacques-Belletête, work had already started on the 2008 iteration of the game, and this was an entirely separate project. "[Ubisoft] wanted really something completely out of the left field. And back then I was known as one of the ones ... 'oh this guy can get some pretty cool, weird ideas.'"

From the sound of it, the game was almost post-apocalyptic, in a way. "Think a bit Day After Tomorrow [http://www.amazon.com/Day-After-Tomorrow-Blu-ray/dp/B000VDDWE2/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1285603874&sr=1-1], but replace the snow with sand and everything. It was really wicked." Sadly, the game was canceled and the team moved on to Far Cry. A shame, too - I'd have loved to see how the Prince would have handled an environment filled with skyscrapers and steel.

(CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=266494])

Arachon

Jun 23, 2008
Modern-day Persia is Iran, isn't it? Can kind of see why they thought that might be a bad idea.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
They'll never beat Sands of Time. Forgotten Sands was a rather embarrassing attempt at recreating it; I don't understand how a company can quite so amazingly miss what was absolutely fantastic about one of their games.

tomtom94

aka "Who?"
May 11, 2009
The idea has a degree of potential, but due to racial tensions etc I can see why it got scrapped.

Did they use the ideas for AC though?..

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
I wonder if this was actually a game set in modern day Iran, or if it was just the PoP style platforming and combat in a contemporary setting. Just PoP present day sounds pretty cool.

Or alternatively, your saying THIS was how Mirrors Edge got started?

This could have become Mirrors Edge, a game that I still say was fantastic. Just make it third person, a few more context sensitive commands, and more puzzle-y then timing/twitchy.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Hell this is when you make up an imagery island or country and then start weaving the setting together, like if Dubai was more like newyork,ect. Then you have a modern setting without alot of buildings to play in and around.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I feel it could work really intrestingly. WOuld love to see the concept

UberMore

Sep 7, 2008
I would've much preferred a Modern PoP to the shite that was Far Cry.
That game was terrible and boring. Even with the funny cheats and mods it was still boring.
Now, a racially tense PoP with guns and shit may have been verrry fun and very interesting.

rokkolpo

Aug 29, 2009
Intrigued.
but yeah, i loved The sands of time too much to fully enjoy this kind of game.

Doctor What

Jul 29, 2008
Modern day Prince of Persia. Ubisoft made PoP. Ubisoft also made Assassin's Creed. AC is "set" in modern times.

HUH.

Raziel_Likes_Souls

Mar 6, 2008
Wasn't one of the ads for the Sands of Time a DJ cutting and scratching in tune with the gameplay? Because that's what I thought of when I heard PoP and modern in the same sentence.

But a post-apocalyptic style PoP would've been fun.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
I'd like to see a PoP in the modern day/post-apocalypse. Too bad the slow-motion+guns combo is kinda overused. But still, i can imagine some pretty wicked gameplay using guns and melee+time manipulation powers.

But if they thought it couldn't work, i guess they were right. But still....would have liked to see it.