Muscular Pokemon Never Made It To US

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Muscular Pokemon Never Made It To US

Pokemon might be mostly cute and adorable little critters today, but according to an interview with Nintendo president Satoru Iwata, Nintendo once considered giving Pikachu and gang a more muscle-bound spin for the US market.

It's no secret that we here in the United States of Amurrica like prefer our massively merchandised videogame and cartoon characters to be built like The Terminator and sporting a healthy dose of extreme attitude. Street Sharks [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqGQyMF5a_0], anybody?

Funny to think that Pokemon became such a bonafide phenomenon, then. Aside from Pokemon like Machop and its evolutions, Hitmonchan/lee, and maybe Dugtrio [http://fc01.deviantart.com/fs32/f/2008/230/b/7/Dugtrio_Underneath_the_Surface_by_SaladBowl.jpg], most Pokemon are of the cute and/or cuddly variety, and if not, then they're certainly not muscle-bound monstrosities.

It didn't have to be this way, however. In a recent interview, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata revealed that way back when, when Nintendo was first planning on bring Pokemon to the States, they were considering giving the characters a few shots of performance enhancing drugs to make them more palatable to American sensibilities.

"We were sent a proposal of muscle-bound characters to use if we wanted to do well in the U.S.," Iwata recalled.

Fortunately for the world at large, Nintendo's top dogs vetoed the idea. Then-president Hiroshi Yamauchi considered the project of getting Americans to like cute characters to be a challenge, and thought it might just be possible that cuteness was something unique enough to be appealing to Western audiences.

Well, if you take their word for it, it sounds like Nintendo is taking sole credit for making "cute" an acceptable if not desirable attribute for a pop culture franchise to have, or even for bringing cuteness to the West, period. Don't sell us so short, Nintendo. We had a license on cute long before Pikachu came around. Remember Full House? The Olsen Twins? Yeah. Case closed.

[Via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5260140/pokemon-could-have-been-muscular-monsters]]

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
This should be a trend. I can see it now, Gears 3 done in chibi(sp). I would actually play that.

p.s. Awesome pic of Psyduck.

Gerazzi

Feb 18, 2009
>>;
woah that dugtrio thing was disturbing.
aaaand
sheic99 said:
This should be a trend. I can see it now, Gears 3 done in chibi(sp). I would actually play that.

seconded

Lazzi

Apr 12, 2008
Gerazzi said:
>>;
woah that dugtrio thing was disturbing.
aaaand
sheic99 said:

seconded
What they say.

Svenparty

Jan 13, 2009
Dugtrio is actually three huge hulking man shaped pokemon "enjoying each others company" ?

Well...I'm sickened

Fightgarr

Concept Artist
Dec 3, 2008
Keane Ng said:
vivaldiscool said:
Feral Pikachu and Buff Ash.
Jawesome. Simply jawesome.
Oh god... Street Sharks was terrible. A buddy of mine and I watched the first episode together a couple of months ago. They just cause civic damage and justify it by saying their dad got mutated. Then when they're given a chance to explain themselves they try and eat the interviewer. Its truly (and I've retried all of the oldies) the worst cartoon of the 90s.
I don't know why I felt the need to watch it, but Ripster, Jab, Slamu and Streaks were calling.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Keane Ng said:
Can I just say that Eevee sucks? Alright, thanks.
I have to call you out on that. I mean, it's cute AND it can evolve into like 5 different things! What's not to love?

If you were gonna hate on Porgon though, I'd be cool with that. Damn thing was essentially an attempt by Nintendo to teach kids the joys of gambling.

And thank goodness that never happened... Pokemon would have died really fast.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008
Onmi said:
Cooler pokemon...

Seems fine to me, there is more.
That is not a pokemon that is a robot why would you try to trick us that's not a nice thing to do oh no.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Onmi said:
meatloaf231 said:
Onmi said:
Cooler pokemon...

Seems fine to me, there is more.
That is not a pokemon that is a robot why would you try to trick us that's not a nice thing to do oh no.

Please don't upset the Aerodactyl
So this is what you do all day...
*deletes browser history containing five LPs in the past week**