Ubisoft Recruits Small Army For Assassin's Creed 2

Keane Ng

Sep 11, 2008
Ubisoft Recruits Small Army For Assassin's Creed 2

Ubisoft is putting a whole lot of muscle behind Assassin's Creed 2 - three times as much as they had for the first game, to be exact.

Sometimes it doesn't take very many people to make a game. Braid took two people. Sometimes it takes a whole lot of people to make a game. The first Assassin's Creed took around 150 people to make. And sometimes it takes a small army to make a game. The second Assassin's Creed is one of those games.

The Assassin's Creed 2 crew, producer Sebastien Puel estimated in an interview with NowGamer [http://www.nowgamer.com/news/513/assassins-creed-ii-triples-size-of-dev-team], is "about three times the size of the team of the first game." That makes about 450 people. You could form a small militia and lead a failed revolution with those numbers. Or you could hunker down, get everyone to work their butts off, and make the best dang assassinating game set in Renaissance Italy ever.

Of those 450 folks, Puel says that some of them were key staff on the original Assassin's Creed team. "Making [Assassin's Creed] from A to Z took around four years," he said. "It's a very good thing we are keeping most of the core members who envisioned the first Assassin's Creed. They know the project well."

Knowing the project well doesn't just mean what it was before, but what it could have been. Puel says that the old Assassin's Creed staff had "thousands of ideas" that didn't make it into the first game but that they're "integrating" into the new one. One game with thousands of ideas? Might be a little bit of idea overload there.

GoldenRaz

Mar 21, 2009
Let's all cross our fingers and hope that they are a "multicultural group with various religious beliefs" this time around as well.

And just imagine the shear size of a game with >1000 ideas. Purely mindblowing;D

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
450 people for one game?

Valve runs around 200 people and they making probably 2 games(HL2:EP3 and Portal 2), keep TF2, L4D, CS and DoD:S updated/patched and Steam up and running.

And Ubisoft needs 450 people for ONE game? Geez....

Xtr3me_O

May 19, 2009
Yes pushing beggars as your about to assassinate someone.
Really helped throughout the last game.
Hopefully it DOES NOT happen in the second.

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
Sounds like it's going to be Renaissance GTAIV.
Actually, that could be pretty cool.

VTSK

Jun 3, 2008
oliveira8 said:
450 people for one game?

Valve runs around 200 people and they making probably 2 games(HL2:EP3 and Portal 2), keep TF2, L4D, CS and DoD:S updated/patched and Steam up and running.
They also take years and years to release a sequel. Maybe they need a few more people.

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
VTSK said:
oliveira8 said:
450 people for one game?

They also take years and years to release a sequel. Maybe they need a few more people.
Betewen HL2 release in 04 and 09, 5 years went by and you got Ep1, Ep2, Portal, DoD:source, Team Fortress 2 and L4D, free content for DoD:S, TF2 and L4D and constant patching. Plus a major overhaul to a gaming engine and set up a solid digital distribution system. With 200 people.

YurdleTheTurtle

Mar 23, 2009
I like the reactions.

Shouldn't this be good news? Yes, more people does not always mean better quality, but for a company of this stature, it probably means something.

Judging by all the preview info they gave earlier, I'm sure things will improve. Already looks like major improvements the last game's flaws are in progress, among new stuff. No word on the 'beggars/random psychotic drunk people who only punch you for no reason', but I am sure the Renaissance will be cleared of them.

Radelaide

May 15, 2008
WanderFreak said:
One of those people is responsible for those damned beggars.

They must die.
Nuh, they're fun to stab with a hidden blade. They made great distractions when I was doing some of the information missions.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Let's not get too exited shall we? For all we know the new guys are exclusively costumer service staff for responding to people complaining that the game sucked badly and that they want their money back.