PS3 Cracked With Modded Controller

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
PS3 Cracked With Modded Controller

An enterprising modder has created a new version of the USB mod chip, this time built into an official PS3 controller.

Those USB ports on the front of the PlayStation seem to have suddenly turned into a major headache for Sony. It just gets finished fixing an exploit that allowed people to play pirated games using a USB mod chip, only to have someone make a new hack using a modded controller five minutes later.

The good news for Sony is that getting the hack up and running on a Sixaxis or Dualshock 3 controller is fairly complicated, requiring a lot of fiddling around with soldering irons and PIC microcontrollers. It seems to work ok, although it's not clear just yet whether it gets around the most recent software update which prevented a number of third-party USB devices from working on the PS3. If the hack does work after the update, then it seems likely that Sony will again want to fix the exploit as quickly as possible, although the use of official controllers may make it a little bit trickier.

There will come a time, and possibly quite soon, where Sony will have to come up with a better long-term strategy for dealing with piracy than fighting a constant arms race with hackers. It wouldn't be all that surprising if it adopted a policy similar to that of Microsoft and banned any hacked PS3's it detected from going online. We'll have to wait and see what path Sony actually takes, however.

Source: Geek.com [http://www.geek.com/articles/games/ps3-jailbreak-possible-with-a-sixaxis-or-dualshock-3-controller-20100926/]

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
You can't win an arms race with hackers. It's simply not possible. There have got to be better ways for Sony to spend its time and efforts.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
I think Sony will officially stop making PS3's, disable the controllers and hamper the TV cables.

While at it, they will send a secret code to the console, in which it will turn the PS3 into a Transformer, which will kill any X360 Player along with the cracked Hardware, capable for Self-Detonating (if needed) into a small Hydrogen Bomb.

Unrulyhandbag

Oct 21, 2009
LoopyDood said:
Sony's response: It might EXPLODE!
well they just mess around with the electronics in a device that uses a documented explode prone battery type. Chance of it happening? bugger all. This is probably what Sony meant when they said that though as one of the first things asked on the scene after the last hack was if it could be built into a controller. Power on your PS3 with one controller and the hack runs, switch it on with the other and it boots normally, brilliant.

AceAngel

May 12, 2010
sunburst313 said:
You can't win an arms race with hackers. It's simply not possible. There have got to be better ways for Sony to spend its time and efforts.
Actually, you can. Simple updating and/or hiring said people. MS does this for it's Security Fixes, wouldn't be surprised if Sony pays a bunch of Hot-Pocket eating Russians to do the work for them.

gabe12301

Jun 30, 2010
Why do they keep making them? They lose money every time they sell one and they wont ever be able stop the hackers.

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
You know it's actually pretty funny; I remember reading a comic (I think it was on this site no less) that actually made a parody where Sony disables the controllers. I can't actually find it any more but;

They fucking called it.
Even if it was intended as a joke.

I'm not sure if that's frightening or hilarious.

Zyst

Jan 15, 2010
Hackers will find a way to hack.

It's just about how long Sony can keep up before saying fuck it.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
It's OK, now that they've released Move Sony can just remove Dualshock 3 functionality with an update.

Korias

Sep 9, 2009
MGlBlaze said:
You know it's actually pretty funny; I remember reading a comic (I think it was on this site no less) that actually made a parody where Sony disables the controllers. I can't actually find it any more but;

They fucking called it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8093-Critical-Miss-34

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
Korias said:
MGlBlaze said:

They fucking called it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/8093-Critical-Miss-34
Thank you! I must have skipped past it when I was looking for it.

ae86gamer

Mar 10, 2009
Well, you can jailbreak the PS3 with a lot now, like an iPhone or TI-84 Plus calculator. I mean, they figured out how to work around the firmware update the day after it came out. So I'm sure people will find an easy and quick way to bypass this problem then share it with everyone else.

Also, wouldn't banning them be kinda pointless? People can just make a new PSN name for free anyways. :/

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
Meh. I'm impressed that the PS3 hasn't been fully hacked/modded this far into its life cycle. I don't think any console in the last two generations have lasted this long.

But hackers will hack, so Sony probably shouldn't be chasing full tilt after it. It might actually be better to let the hacks sit for a bit, then hit them all at once with a big update, while banning them from PSN in the meantime.

WorkerMurphey

Jan 24, 2010
TheYellowCellPhone said:
Can we stop hacking the PS3? It's annoying to get those system updates all the time!
Truth. I am American, your shenanigans are fine so long as they don't directly affect me. If they do something needs to change.

Exactly how widespread is this sort of thing? Are thousands of people doing it?