Kotick Takes a Swing at EA

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kotick Takes a Swing at EA

According to Bobby Kotick, EA is structured completely wrong, and that's why it isn't number one.

Buying a studio and assimilating it into a larger corporate entity is the wrong way to go about making top quality games. That's the view of Activision CEO Bobby Kotick, who says that his company is structured in exactly the opposite way.

Activision likes its studios to retain their personality and culture, Kotick said, and that a studio's independent vision was what made them so successful. He said that apart from two exceptions, the people running a studio when Activision acquired it were still running it and the only thing that Activision added was a support structure to make the studio more successful and incentive schemes that rewarded success.

Kotick did acknowledge that EA was changing its policy, and was allowing studios like BioWare to retain their identities, but said that working to that model wasn't in the company's DNA. "You can't be a floor wax and then decide that you're going to become a dessert topping," he said. "[EA] doesn't know how to do it, as a culture or as a company, and it never has." Kotick said that it was easy for Activision to recruit from EA, and that developers often only worked with EA because they had no other options.

EA has attracted complaints from former staff members, most recently from Sledgehammer Studios co-founder Glen Schofield, who lashed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102253-Former-Visceral-Head-Says-EA-Treated-Him-Like-Sh-t] out at the publisher for the way he was treated when he was the general manager of EA's Visceral Games . Of course, Activision has had staff upsets of its own, with the very high profile dismissal [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98761-Rumor-Security-Locks-Down-Infinity-Ward-Ousts-Studio-Head-UPDATE] of Infinity Ward's co-founders and the subsequent exodus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/100060-Insider-Infinity-Ward-Dead-and-Will-Continue-to-Crumble] of staff from the developer.

Source: Edge [http://www.next-gen.biz/news/kotick-ea-is-suffocating-studios]

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
According to me, Bobby Kotick needs to learn how to shut his mouth.

Jul 22, 2009
Dear god Kotick... someone muzzle him.

You're saying that it was easy for you to pick up people from EA.

EA currently have Respawn entertainment... remember those guys? The ones you sued cause you didn't want to pay them... I'd say EA is a hell of a lot better off than you and innovates rather than copy-pastes their old ideas with new skins.

Anyway in short. Kotick sucks. EA rules.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Just wanna get in before someone misrepresents the Activision-Blizzard merger in this thread. That said, he's probably right. Financially speaking, anyway.

Jernau

Nov 20, 2009
Oh bobby, do you just live life to piss off other people? I sometimes wonder if under all of this he is actually a nice guy and just does this for reactions. Then I remeber it's Bobby Kottick and this isn't bizzaro world.

PandyBear

Oct 24, 2008
This is all well and good Bobby. But it doesnt stop you from being one of the most hated men in the history of gaming.

Crunchy English

Victim of a Savage Neck-bearding
Aug 20, 2008
Bobby, the reason your number 1 is the giant merger you had with Blizzard, not anything to do with how you treat employees. EA was beating you until you merged with the guys who made the "money printing game", better known as WoW.

Riku'sTwilight

Dec 21, 2009
Kotick does have a point here. Having individual studios keep their identity while being part of a parent company is the best way forward; not only do the small companies get to keep staff and work ethic but they get the benefit of being part of an overall successful company which is designed to support them.

Ubisoft does it with their studios, Rockstar do it with theirs and even Microsoft have allowed Rare and Lionhead to keep their own structure and game-making prowess.

Kapol

Watch the spinning tails...
May 2, 2010
Another stupid thing from Kotick's mouth. I also like how he used the word 'schemes' like he's doing something wrong, which he likely is. Also, he's added in 'more structure' which likely alters the entire company like those he's complaining about.

zutagonecver

May 11, 2010
Could someone please assassinate this guy? Not that he is wrong about what he said, he is just wrong about everything else.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I wonder how many people want to take a swing at Kotick.

And Activision are number 1 because of WoW; the stupid prick admitted that himself.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
I think people just want to ***** about the guy. I honestly can't find anything bad in this news post. All seems pretty legit to me.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Sad and feeble attack is sad and feeble. We all know you suck Kotick. And we all know Activision is evil. You can't diss EA, because EA has Bioware, and Bioware is the god of video game making.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
Yeah, but now there's the EA Partners program, where studios not only get to keep their personality and identity but they also retain all rights to their intellectual properties.

Suck it, Kotick.

ProfessorLayton

Elite Member
Nov 6, 2008
Kotick... please... I'm begging you... if you can't shut up, please leave. You're making Activision look bad and you're making gamers as a whole look bad. And I would gladly buy EA products before buying anything else from Activision.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Riku said:
Kotick does have a point here. Having individual studios keep their identity while being part of a parent company is the best way forward; not only do the small companies get to keep staff and work ethic but they get the benefit of being part of an overall successful company which is designed to support them.

Ubisoft does it with their studios, Rockstar do it with theirs and even Microsoft have allowed Rare and Lionhead to keep their own structure and game-making prowess.
Thing is though, those small companies only get to stay on the roster as long as Activision sees them being able to milk the series. I agree it's a great idea in theory to just let devs do as they wish with a support of a big publisher.

EA picked up alot of small dev games after Acti axed them because they didnt think, for example, Brutal Ledgend could be milked as much as Guitar Hero.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Pot: "Excuse me mister kettle, i believe you have no skill at orientating staff. and by the way, youre black"
EA may not have the originality of THQ (the Hyperion of game publishers) but right now id take [very bad example] over anything bobby kotick has touched

I had to edit this pre-post so i wouldnt get suspended. my original comment was VERY harsh