Hideo Kojima Loves Super Mario Bros a Bit Too Much

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Hideo Kojima Loves Super Mario Bros a Bit Too Much

Hideo Kojima likes Nintendo's seminal Super Mario Bros. No, I mean he really likes Super Mario Bros.

You can't say that Hideo Kojima doesn't do things enthusiastically. If he wants to talk about postmodernism and the nature of our media-shaped reality, he is going to do it for an hour at the end of Metal Gear Solid 2. If he wants to obsessively tie up every loose end in his series with a cinematic tour de force, he's going to make Metal Gear Solid 4. And if he wants to praise Super Mario Bros., he is going to praise the hell out of Super Mario Bros.

In the latest issue of Nintendo Power celebrating Mario's 25th birthday, several big-name game developers chimed in with their praise for the plumber's iconic platformer, and Hideo Kojima was characteristically not one to hold back his words.

[blockquote]Shigeru Miyamoto not only altered the future of gaming, but actually changed the concept of 'value' for all forms of entertainment. And, in the process, changed my future-leading me to become the game designer I am today.

I feel the game truly deserves to be hailed as one of mankind's greatest inventions. The game's design, sense of fun, interactivity, and cerebral philosophy have made it the forefather of every game that has come since and of every game yet to come.

Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent to the big bang of our gaming universe. If it were not for this blindingly spectacular creation, digital entertainment as we know it today would not exist.[/blockquote]

Geez, Hideo. If you keep that up, people are going to start thinking that you like SMB or something.

(Nintendo Power, via Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5649169/metal-gear-creator-gets-gushy-over-super-mario-bros])

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
Heh, Kojima is awesome.

Mario is amazing though. So much has come from such a simple but addictive game....

HeySeansOnline

Apr 17, 2009
Oh Hideo Kojima, one of these days we're gonna have to drop you, Richard Gariot, and Peter Molyneux into a small room and see what insane star child of gaming is born.

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
HeySeansOnline said:
Oh Hideo Kojima, one of these days we're gonna have to drop you, Richard Gariot, and Peter Molyneux into a small room and see what insane star child of gaming is born.
add a drop of Suda51 for some color, and go!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
FungiGamer said:
Funk, I just have to ask: why all the Nintendo hate???
Um...is this an attempt at sarcasm-fueled humor? I think perhaps something has been lost in translation.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
I find it ironic that he praises a series of games to the point of calling it the greatest invention of mankind that is 99% gameplay and then has horrifyingly long cutscenes in his own games.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
HeySeansOnline said:
The world isn't ready for that much concentrated awesome/strange.

I admire that Kojima can declare his utter love for Mario, and it's mostly deserving of its prraise. Carry on Kojima, you insane, completely awesome man.

flaming_squirrel

Jun 28, 2008
Shigeru Miyamoto not only altered the future of gaming, but actually changed the concept of 'value' for all forms of entertainment. And, in the process, changed my future-leading me to become the game designer I am today.

I feel the game truly deserves to be hailed as one of mankind's greatest inventions. The game's design, sense of fun, interactivity, and cerebral philosophy have made it the forefather of every game that has come since and of every game yet to come.

Super Mario Bros. is the equivalent to the big bang of our gaming universe. If it were not for this blindingly spectacular creation, digital entertainment as we know it today would not exist.
I suddenly hate him intensely, almost as much as Bobby Kotick, but not quite. He's more batshit crazy then utterly evil.

FungiGamer

Apr 23, 2008
Susan Arendt said:
FungiGamer said:
Um...is this an attempt at sarcasm-fueled humor? I think perhaps something has been lost in translation.
I don't see why this is news worthy at all. Hideo's just sharing his admiration of the game, a game that truly did revolutionize gaming history; it's probably just me but Funk takes every opportunity to take random stabs at Nintendo for no reason whatsoever.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
FungiGamer said:
Susan Arendt said:
FungiGamer said:
I don't see why this is news worthy at all. Hideo's just sharing his admiration of the game, a game that truly did revolutionize gaming history; it's probably just me but Funk takes every opportunity to take random stabs at Nintendo for no reason whatsoever.
Hardly. We frequently run stories about one developer commenting on another developer's work, both positive and negative. I also find his comment about SMB changing the concept of "value" of entertainment to be particularly intriguing, especially given Kojima's own personal take on game design. Mario Bros is in many ways the polar opposite of the Metal Gear series, so to find how much inspiration Kojima takes from that seminal work is, we think, interesting.

As for Funk taking stabs at Nintendo, kindly point them out. More accurately, point out Funk criticizing Nintendo in a disproportionate amount than he criticizes Microsoft or Sony. In any event, the point is moot, as I don't see a single word in this post that implies that Funk has anything negative to say about it at all. If you're referring to the "Bit Too Much" headline, I think you're perhaps overreacting.