Nintendo Fixing Metroid: Other M Glitch Through the Mail

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Nintendo Fixing Metroid: Other M Glitch Through the Mail

Nintendo knows what causes Metroid: Other M's game-breaking bug and can fix the save files of afflicted players if they have patience.

Some players of freezes their progress [http://www.amazon.com/Metroid-Other-M-Nintendo-Wii/dp/B002BSC4ZS/ref=sr_1_1?s=gateway&ie=UTF8&qid=1285631289&sr=8-1]. Nintendo has now discovered what causes the bug, and figured out a solution.

The official Nintendo support website has posted a specific page [http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/metroid-other-m.jsp] on the glitch, which permanently locks a door necessary to pass through to continue the game. According to Nintendo, the door will be bugged if after unlocking the Ice Beam players continue into the next room, defeat the enemies with "spiked, purple legs" to unlock that room's door, and backtrack into the room where they obtained the Ice Beam instead of continuing through the just-unlocked door. So don't do that!

Soldiering forward through that magical door will ensure that the bug doesn't show its red, locked face. Nintendo has offered a fix for those with save files cursed with the bugged door, but it requires using the mail, stamps, and packaging.

"If you are experiencing this issue, we are able to resolve it by fixing your save data," Nintendo writes on the support page [http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/ts/metroid-other-m.jsp]. "For instructions on how to set up a repair by sending us your save file on an SD card, or for other options, please call 1-800-255-3700." I'm begging you, don't call the number looking for pizza, because that joke's been done to death and this is a serious matter.

It's great that both the cause of the bug and a solution has been found, even if it requires mailing an SD card to Nintendo (or mysterious "other options"). I'm just hoping that Nintendo's next console will catch up with its friends and offer the possibility to patch games online, because then this wouldn't have been much of an issue at all.

Source: 1up [http://www.1up.com/news/game-breaking-metroid-bug-acknowledged-nintendo]

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
This is great for people like us who browse gaming websites, but those that don't are sill fucked.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Nintendo has fixed the only problem with this game. It is now officially perfect.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. This is not a troll. Just an exaggeration.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
What is this, 1997?

This is why the Wii sucks. A fix similar to this on the 360 or PS3 would be online within a week of the game's release, patched automatically as soon as you log online, and never posted on a news site.

theshadavid

Nerrrrrrrd
Aug 10, 2009
Nintendo really should have a system for patching... And Other M was awful, I returned it before I even got a third of the way through.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
cursedseishi said:
Lightslei said:
They couldn't of put a free patch out through the Wii Store o_O????????????
Nope, no patching of any kind, unless they released the ENTIRE game, with patch, for free through the store
Please tell me Nintendo's next console realizes that the internet exists. /Facepalm.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
Lightslei said:
cursedseishi said:
Lightslei said:
They couldn't of put a free patch out through the Wii Store o_O????????????
Nope, no patching of any kind, unless they released the ENTIRE game, with patch, for free through the store
Please tell me Nintendo's next console realizes that the internet exists. /Facepalm.
yeah its kind of sad, its why there was no DLC for SSBB, becuase nintendo games don't support patches of dlc.

Apr 28, 2008
On one hand, I say they should have a system for patching games. Since bugs like this would end up being the pre-mature end for certain games. What if a reviewer got this bug?

On the other hand, Nintendo games are usually very bug-free. No doubt because they can't patch games post-release, they make it a bigger concern then certain developers who can patch later, or have the mod community patch things *cough* Bethesda *cough*

Not quite sure where to lean on this matter...

TLatshaw

Aug 30, 2010
With your SD card, send a photo of yourself giving a THUMBS DOWN! That should teach 'em.

Deleted

Jul 25, 2009
Can't they fix it over the internet? Why is Nintendo so stingy about online support?

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
So when can we get a bugfix for Samus's personality? Where she didn't become a robotic child who can't face enemies she's killed dozens of times.

Douk said:
Can't they fix it over the internet? Why is Nintendo so stingy about online support?
Because there's only 512 megs of memory built into the wii and I'm sure they don't want to clutter that up with silly things like updates that fix broken games.

Bek359

Feb 23, 2010
And in the time that it takes to send your card to them, have them fix it, and have them send it back, you could just start over your bloody file. Seriously, the game's not that long.

Citrus

Apr 25, 2008
The Wii doesn't support patches? I didn't know that. That's pretty awful.